Any other mums of 30 weekers when did you wean?

QueenieMurphy

Proud mummy to Thalia
Reaction score
My LO is 24 weeks actual tomorrow and a baby born on same day as her and at exactly same gestation started being weaned yesterday - on advice from their HV. Mine hasn't mentioned it at all. Because of bank hols(I see my HV on mondays) and then we're away for 2 mondays I won't be seeing HV for nearly 4 more weeks and I'm worried I should be weaning too. Are there any signs I should look for in my LO that I should start?

One thing is the baby being weaned is 14 lbs!! My LO is only 10'3 -(she was bigger than him at birth but he's shot ahead maybe because he's formula fed and she's booby)

Anyway I guess I'm mainly asking when did any other babies born approx 30 weeks start weaning.

Thank you

Generally regardless of weight and all, preemies start weaning at between 5-7 months ACTUAL age. Many HVs dont know or believe this so perhaps she thinks preemies need to wait.

There is weaning factsheets on the Bliss website to help.

I'll have a look thank you - yeah my HV seems to know very little about preemies. She'd never even heard of PVL.

Thalia will be 6 months actual on 11th May, may be a good time to start!!

I started weaning Leo (a 28 weeker) at 6 months, he felt sooo young but he took to it really well.

I weaned my LO at 5 months actual (24 weeker) and she was probably only weighed about 7.5-8lbs at the time. The main thing she showed was that milk wasnt satisfying her in the evenings even though she had taken as much as she could. I started really slowly and just did a tiny bit of very watered (or milked!) down baby rice and gradually built it up. Other signs such as putting hands in mouth etc she wasnt doing because she wasnt at the stage of putting hands in her mouth at all developmentally. Now she weighs 9lb 5oz (prob a bit more that was 2 weeks ago), is 7 months and is on porridge and fruit for breakfast, veggies and then fruit for lunch, then meat and 2 veg then fruit for dinner and she scoffs the lot!! As well as still taking all the milk she did before and more. So I guess I am trying to say dont worry about size and weight!

My HV told us to wait until 6 months corrected!!!!

You know your baby dear, go with what you think is right for your LO.
xx

Gosh, Thalias has been stuffing her hands in mouth in evenings and tonight was whimpering a bit on boob - maybe it wasn't satisfying her!! I'm worried I've been starving her now. Think will go shopping tomorrow and at least get all the baby rice etc in and may be try a bit tomorrow!!

Princess Pea I've seen your avatar before - your LO is soooo cute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->