Any pregnant lesbian's that used turkey baster method?

anjamum_TTC

Reaction score
Hi All,

Me and my partner have been using the 'turkey baster method' TTC.

I know that this can work... but how many of you out there can give me advice, support and keep my spirits up, that this is in actual fact possible and that we are not just wasting our time.

We use fresh sperm form our donor the day before 'o' the day of and the day after.

I want to be a mummy so bad.... Im on cycle #2/2 and currently in 2WW.:shrug:

anjamum- my partner and i have also inseminated at home with a known sperm donor, we're on our 8th cycle in a 1.5 years, i'm also in my TWW at the moment. Keep me updated!!

Hiya. I know it's not the same coming from me, but a very close friend of mine used the "turkey baster" method. It took her 9 months of trying. She also used fresh sperm the day before O. It was a very emotional experience for her and it really tested their relationship. A very hard part for her in it all was people saying "oh but HOW are you two going to have a baby??!". And the laughs that she got from explaining. But why should she go through IVF when she was all in working order? It's just something tht m/f couples trying to conceive do not have to deal with.
So the roller coaster of ttc is just made that extra bit more emotional and heart wrenching than usual.

I really hope you get a BFP soon! It is allllllll worth it in the long run.

Good luck!!! Babies deserve loving families and I'm positive anyone going through so much heartache to make a bundle of joy is going to love their babies the most!

Hi!

Though I don't have any direct experience with this, I have heard of insemination using "instead soft cups". Not sure if you've heard of this (they were originally developed to catch AF, but several couples have had success using them to trap semen around the cervix even without BD'ing and using it as the "turkey baster"), but I thought it might help you if it doesn't work out this cycle. FX'd for you this month though! Keep us updated!

Giddy- It can be hard, we're lucky to have very supportive family and friends, our donor makes it seem very natural and not stressful. Lucky for us it has not tested our relationship, if anything its made us stronger. We tend to answer all the questions, bc i'd rather put the correct information out there rather than have peoples imaginations and pre conceived notions run wild!!!

Spotless- Thanks, I bought a very complete home insemination kit, came with those soft cups you referred to, but we chose not to use them this time, bc our kit also came with flexible plastic catheters that attach to the needless syringe to drop the :spermy: right at the base of the cervix. Comes complete with our OPK, and the pregnancy tests that I am trying desperately not to use too early, hahaha.

Well I'm out this month again girls, got my 2nd BFN... so onwards to next month. I don't know, but this month I feel very positive! Hopefully my wee chicken will grab on tight to my uterus and come meet it's mummy in 9 months.

Please keep in contact and let me know all about your journey. Its nice to have peoples support during this emotional time.

x

Did you get :witch: or just BFN??? Bc until AF shows up your still in the game!!! We can be turkey baster method TTC buddies!!! :dust:

I've just read somewhere this morning (1st/second tri) about someone succesful in doing this, maybe try popping over for a peek :) xx

Yeah Trying2b2mums,

Everything crossed that we are able to achieve our goal of becoming mummies. I can't wait! x

Hi there. I am not lesbian, but I'm going solo with this method. I did my first insemination Saturday so I am 3 dpo. It's only my first shot so I'm not holding my breath considering my age (I'm 35). I'm interested in following others with this method as it does seem to be successful. (I have heard the Instead Cups are really good too, but I think it takes some practice working with them.) Good luck!:thumbup:

Hi spinster,

I am going to take a few practice shot before we load it up with the real stuff. Its always nerve racking the day of insemination as we need to chat some with the donor when he comes to our house, so as not to be rude, so making light chat with someone you dont know makes me nervous, and especially what he is willing to go through for us. It's such a nice thing and I am thankful.

Be nice for you to keep us all updated on your progress though, the more the merrier.

How did you go about it?
x

Hi there, I'm not in your position but my husband donates sperm privately (his is great so if we can help avoid another couple going through what we are then we bloody well will!). He has donated sperm to 2 lesbian couples successfully (2 beautiful, healthy baby boys!), one couple used the "turkey baster" method, it took them 3 months to get their BFP. The other ladies used the softcup and Preseed method, it took them 2 months to get their BFP.

So yes, it can be done! I really do wish you ladies all the very best of luck! Stay positive! xxx

Hi PleaseLouise,

That is so nice of your husband doing what he does, but im sure you are behind him in the helping of the lesbian couples. Such a lovely thing for you to allow happen - behind every good man is a great woman and you are a prime example of that. Weldone to you and your man, and I hope you all the best in your quest to be a mummy. Im sure your little one is just waiting to be made by the angels, before being delivered to you.....

xx

I've been charting for a year know and talking with potential donors, I opted to start with a known donor I met online. We completed a contract and I received his medical records, then came the smiley face on my OPK last Saturday. He was willing to meet me that night at a local hotel, the whole situation was awkward until he arrived. He put me at ease. He produced the "goods," I waited about 10 minutes before proceeding. I didn't have a fancy kit, just a children's medicine syringe. Only one insemination attempt. I think my timing was about as good as it can get, just might try instruments to get closer to the cervix next time. I know the odds for getting pregnant in one attempt are pretty low, but it's not making the TWW any easier.

BTW, I lived in Glasgow (I'm assuming you are in Scotland) for a year and it's one on my favorite places in the world.

Oh, and working with the syringe was really easy if you just follow online instructions on the method. Very efficient.

Glasgow is amazing, yeah I'm in Bonnie Scotland. How did you come about living here?

Me and my partner have been inseminating now for 2 cycles, its been an emotional roller-coaster for us. I am the type of person that thought I would have got pregnant immediately, but it didn't - unfortunately!

Onward to next cycle now which starts next monday and we will inseminated 4 times. I have a 29 day cycle and although I am using the OPK strips, I dont ever get a dark enough red line so they are kinda useless for me. I am just inseminating throughout what the fertile calendar tells me is my 'fertile window' hoping to get a BFP this cycle. Im losing the will to live, and can be so impatient!

I spent a lot of time off during university traveling the UK. The people in Glasgow were the sweetest (and I'm not even an agressive American...) So I went to work a bunch of odd jobs in and around Glasgow, usually commuting to other places but living in Glasgow. :rain:

Anyway, being that you have access to your donor that many times is good. I don't want to bug mine too much at this point since he's doing this for free and he's working with two other women, one who has a similar cycle.

I have not always been clockwork regular, but it's been better the last 7 months or 8 months. The OPK I used was pretty expensive, but it gave me a smaller window. Plus I only recently learned that the older you are, the shorter your window so today I bought a thermometer to start charting that also to see if that helps.

I am already feeling like a failure and I wasn't as thorough as I could have been. I can only imagine what it's going to feel like in upcoming cycles. I'm trying to figure out if this board is helping to distract me or if it's keeping my mind on it.:dohh:

Welcome Spinster- good to have you here, anything is possible, it would be so fantastic for you to get it on one try the first time- i real little miracle. If you need a next time, we heard that 10 min might not be long enough to liquify enough to get up the syringe easily, although every donation is different, just another tip...we get our 'goods' he leaves, and we do our thing to prepare for a slippery ride and syringe it at about 20-30min. Bc you are on your own, a speculum would be difficult, i suggest a flexible catheter that attaches to the syringe, it will drop it al closer to the cervix. Spinster- no pressure here, but hope you stay on the board for your journey, i am new here but finding it reallt nice to share stories and symptom spot and talking about others stories takes my mind off mine, and im finding that im really hoping for BFPs for these other women, and i feel that even if i dont get mine, ill be happy for them, a little group victory!! (I grew up in the SF bay area, moved to Long Beach for University, before I moved to Australia, i visit the bay once or twice a year, it will always be home)

The soft cups kinda freaked me out, i figured i would stuff it up and it would all fall out, when and if you use them Anjamum, let me know how it goes. Although i am really hoping i dont need to after this month, but symptoms have disappeared but only being 7dpo thats ok, although i am worried the symptoms we had after insemination may have been late ovulation and ive missed altogether this month :(

Our donor is fantastic too, i always get nervous before, and we've seen him countless times, but as soon as he walks in, all is right with the world and we're at ease and chat and have a good laugh most of the time, and always a close hug to just help the baby karma!

PleaseLouise, you and your husband are amazing people, thank you for helping others like myself, its the greatest gift, good on ya both!!! <3

I too, naively thought, that i would get pregnant soon, im only 29, but never been too regular, but after the GP gave us the all clear on blood work and ultrasounds i never thought we would be 1.5 yrs into it, on our 8th cycle, but our little one is waiting for his or her perfect timing..i guess, hahaha wish it was sooner than later. I feel bad for our donor, he's helped 3 others (2 lesbian, 1 single) they've all had their babies and we're still taking his time trying!!

Thanks for the encouragement. I will try to stick around, it's a little easier since I'm on a brief vacay (kind of). I work in education so I was trying sooner than later as I have a good few months that would give me a longer summer and more bonding time (either at the beginning or end of next summer). So I hope it's sooner than later, but it is disheartening reading so many stories on here of people that have been trying for years.
I will look into the timing, tho no trouble getting it in the syringe as it seemed to have liquified. Little worried about the temp. from having the room cool.
Anyway, I didn't expect these weeks to be so agonizing. I'm a little worried about moving my stuff from storage on Tuesday. My family is helping, but only my sister knows that I've gone through with it. Don't want to look useless at moving my own stuff. I guess if it's strong enough it will hang on.
Thanks for the words of wisdom ladies.

Spinster- temp should still be ok, if your worried (next time) put between boobs or thighs to naturally warm for a few minutes. And moving should be ok too, be smart about it, dont lift too heavy, dont fall down, and mostly don't over heat, in these first few weeks a internal body temp too high can have adverse affects. Fx for you!!! Waiting is the worst, and its full of waiting... waiting to O, waiting to see the donor, waiting with your hips in the air, waiting for two weeks, waiting for confirmation, waiting to tell people, waiting to hear/see ultrasound and possibly find out the sex, waiting for water break/labor, waiting to meet the little angel.... its all worth it, thats why we put ourselves through this torture! :winkwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->