Any teachers out there who are mummys?

Pinkgirl

Reaction score
Hey

Not really sure where i should of posted this?????

but was wondering if any of you mummys are teachers? If so i kindof have a few questions. How long where you on maternity leave? do you plan on going back part time or full time? And in the future would your children go to the same school you teach ask.

The reasons for my questions is that my OH is very keen on having children. But one thing on my mind is how am i going to work and be a mum. I dont live near to where i teach so my child wouldnt get into my school. this means they would then go to a different school and if i am working full time i will never be able to take them or pick them up. :cry: something i do want to be part of. I guess i am just thinking of all the possibilities at the moment. I love the school i teach and wanted to stay there. i would love some advise please.

thankyou x

I'm a teacher, right now i am studying for an extra qualification, but I have looked at going back to work. Here school is til 1:30 and that's considered a full time schedule.
28 hours in elementary school.
My baby is in daycare til 1:30 everyday so that would work out okay for me. I don't think I would like to teach in a school that my kids were in I feel it causes too many problems, favoritism issues, and uncomfortableness from both sides the kids and the parent. But that is just my opinion.
As far as prep work goes, I would definitely do a lot of my preparation for the year in the summer. To have limited preparation for the lessons during the year , but you still have work to do for your lessons and homework to check and I guess you gotta do it when your baby is in bed. Here maternity leave is 3 months for teachers.

I am a teacher, but I currently only work 2 days a week because I couldn't bare going back to work and leaving my baby in daycare or with anyone I didn't know. So, I took a job as a Literacy Tutor 2 days a week. It's a great job....still get to stay home with Valerie, but I'm also able to get away and work for awhile. I'm also still keeping experience on my resume by doing this. Have you talked to your employer and inquired about how long your maternity leave would be? Is it possible that by the time your LO is ready to start school that you would be at a different school which is closer to the school they would go to? All these questions would have to be answered as you got closer to having your LO.

I am a primary school teacher and I started back to work at the beginning on January part time (3 days a week). I had 6 months off but you can have a year (9 months paid and 3 months unpaid).

As I am part time they have decided to use me as ppa and management cover rather than a jobshare in a classroom. At the moment it is working out fine, Erin goes to a childminder by my school, I drop her off at 8.00am and collect her at 5.00pm. I too live about 40 mins from my school so I try and get all my work done at school rather than having to it at home. I tend to do some preparation work on Monday at home when Erin has her naps but I won't be able to do this when she gets bigger.

Evenings are tiring on a work night as Erin is priority when I get in (about 5.45pm), feed, bath, play, milk, bed. Then its getting our dinner, washing up, steralising bottles, packing changing bag etc. If you are an organised person then it should be fine.

I haven't thought about schools yet, it would be easy to have Erin come with me to school and I'm sure she'd get a place even though she's not in catchment but I worry that her firends wouldn't be where she lived and what it would be like to have her there. I need to have a think more carefully.

I love being a teacher and I love being a mum, you can definately do both. I hope this has helped. xxx

just like lcside said really. im a primary school teacher, always loved my job, unitl i had my baby! i only do four days and that's too much. it's changed my perspective completely. i just can;t believe how much the job takes out of me, i'm a huge disciplinarian (SP) and the kids respect me, but keeping them in check when you've had a broken night's sleep is nauseating. also i've just found out i'm preggars again, so that's an extra strain. i think you'll find that moving schools closer to home might be something you'd like to do. i see our baby 1 1/2 hours max a night. that's not enough. i drop her off at half seven, pick up at half four. i went back to school when my baby was four and a half months old because we had no money. i hink that she'll go to school nearer to my home, so she has a circle of friends. maybe by then, we'll be better off, and i won;t have to work as much? my advice would be that, yes you love your job now, i did. just be prepared for everything to change when you give birth. sorry to be negative, but that's just my predicament. good luck in your decision ( and convincing OH that he wants kids, i had to some arm twisting!)

i am a secondary teacher and when i found out i was pregnant i thought i would be returning to work when he was 5 months. Since having him i have completely changed my mind and value every second with him. Putting my return to work date for July 22 ( start of summer hols) so i will be paid over summer. I will officially start back in September but i will request a 4 day week. I would love just 3 days but money wise i would need to do 4. I never thought having a baby would impact on my career, but he comes first now and i will try and balance out everything. I will put him in daycare from 7.30 and oh will pick him up at 4pm. I work 40 mins drive from our home but dont really fancy changing schools as i like where i teach. Thinking ahead to when he starts school I will hopefully be earning more money by then and be able to reduce my hours further. I want another baby in the next few years so will have to wait for my first baby to start school as couldn't afford daycare for 2. I will have to prepare lessons in lunch time and when he is in bed. Oh is a teacher too. We both teach the same subject so it is good in terms of planning as we can use eachothers resources, with a bit of tweaking. There is no way i will spend the hours i have done in the past planning and preparing as it will not be fair on the baby. I think you have to think more about the work / life balance when you have a little one to think of. I look at it the other way too... if i worked in an office 9 til 5.30 i would not have prep to do at home, but i would have less money and holidays. At least with teaching you are guaranteed the 13 weeks holidays to spend every minute with your family. In an office you would be restricted to 2 or 3 weeks. This is the way i justify staying in teaching it in my mind. x

Ladie thank you so much for your replys i really do appreciate it!
I know i wont be in this situation for a long time but guess i was just thinking ahead thats all. Me and OH are very lucky and i know both our parents would help with babysitting.

Reason i might want my child at my school is cause of the distance, and also cause i think its a wonderful school hehe. it would mean i knew how my child would be getting on. They wouldnt have it any easier i asure you if anythin they have a harder time. A few teachers have had their children there so i can see how it can work successful. On the flip side i would want their friends to be close to home and it would be nice if there school was close to home but if i was full time i wouldn't be that involved and would feel so aweful not picking them up!
anyway will stop talking as its a long way off but i was just thinking. if it means putting off TTC so i can work part time i will do, am in no rush just broody! hehe
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrs.K2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->