any teachers preferably secondary school?? i need some help with becoming a teacher

SophiasMummy

Mummy to Sophia
Reaction score
So ive decided im going to become a secondary school teacher but i have to start from the beginning. I want to teach science and from what ive gathered its going to take me 6 years, 2yrs doing A levels (im thinking biology, physics and math), 3 years doing biology at uni and then a year for teaching on top?? Is this right?? As much as i hate sitting behind a computer or desk for 6 years im going to do it so i can give my LO and myself a better life eventhough its gunna take a while. Im just trying to figure out the stuff i need to study and for how long, if theres any science teachers that can answer my question that would be even better :) x

Don't forget the GCSE in English, maths and a science :) c and above, most people have these, tho, i'm assuming you do as you didn't mention, but just incase x

Don't forget the GCSE in English, maths and a science :) c and above, most people have these, tho, i'm assuming you do as you didn't mention, but just incase x

Lol yes i have english, maths and science c and above lol, i already went to college for 3 years but due to personal problems right at the end of my last year i only completed 2/3rds of my course before i had my LO i was going to go back and complete it but i cant work it around my LO and the college is too far away, so gota sstart again and do normal A levels this time lol. Thinking about it i shouldbve waited until this afternoon to post this as any teachers will be at work now x

Just wait and bump it up :) .... also try google and looking for a teaching forum ? x

you could either do a 3 yr degree then a 1 yr pgce afterwards. Or a BEd, where you do 4 years teacher training in a particular subject.

I have a degree in Geography and the plan was after uni to go straight on to pgce, but life changed and I fell pregnant with my LO at the end of my last yr in uni. I now plan to do a graduate teacher training, which is based fulltime in a school and you get paid for doing it....a better option if you can't afford to take a yr out of work x

you could either do a 3 yr degree then a 1 yr pgce afterwards. Or a BEd, where you do 4 years teacher training in a particular subject.

I have a degree in Geography and the plan was after uni to go straight on to pgce, but life changed and I fell pregnant with my LO at the end of my last yr in uni. I now plan to do a graduate teacher training, which is based fulltime in a school and you get paid for doing it....a better option if you can't afford to take a yr out of work x

Thanks hun, i dont work now as i had to give up my job when i was pregnant and cant go back to it as i cant work the hours around LO, hence going back to college to become a teacher, i cant stand the thought of being stuck in a shop or something forever and really wanna do something i enjoy even if its going to be a long road getting there. I think i wanna do the 3 yr degree then the extra year for the teaching x

I did a 3 year degree in Physical Geography and then started a 1 year PGCE (course then was cancelled but knwo the process). You will also need work experience in schools etc as part of the entrance criteria and it used to be that it had to be within 2 years of you applying.

Which university are you hoping to apply to for your PGCE?

I am a science teacher, and i did the usual route- science degree then pgce.

But I do wonder if there are alternate quicker routes for you instead? And sorry not sure how to help you there. Could you speak to a career's advisor at your local library?

Possibly have a look at the gtp course, where once you have a degree you apply to work at a school with which you get paid for during training. I think they might even call it ITT course. they keep changing the names..

sorry not much help otherwise!

My OH did a degree in Quantity Surveying and somehow manage to get onto a Maths PGCE because he had a Maths A Level :) The PGCE is an intense course, I am so surprised actually! ATM he works almost all weekend and a few hours every night, on top of school placements and going into uni.

Thanks everyone, im going to try find out who can help me figure out the different routes, we used to have advisors for that here but they seem to of all disapeared which just makes it all harder to figure, i have a lone parent interview soon though so will ask them who i need to speak too xx

I know you can do PGCEs through OU so that might be worth looking at as there entry qualifications tend to be more lenient?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->