Any Teachers?

mom2pne

Reaction score
Hello!

I am currently waiting for a call or calls about coming in for an interview. I graduated with a bachelor's in early childhood education back in December 2021, but I could not get licensed until I completed my student teaching which I have. Because I was hoping to teach in a 1st or 2nd grade classroom in the school district which I live in, I waited to apply elsewhere as I was told there would be plenty of jobs posted in July. There have been none for those teaching positions. I have now applied for a special education: cross categorical position at the school I student taught at. I also applied for the same position at another school here, but also a 1st grade position in a neighboring school district.

It took me 21 years from when I started college to earn my degree until I will be licensed. I had been a stay-at-home mom most of my adult life and only worked some of the time and fit school in where I could. My second son needed me home and I also ended up with twins. I only have 1 child left that is still under 18, but in 3 years, 1 month, and 7 days he will be 18, too.

How are you doing as school has started for you or is about to start?

Have you prepared your classroom? Do you have a theme? I was thinking if I am teaching special ed then I will use Harry Potter and if I teach a grade then I will use Dalmatians or just dogs if I can't find things with only Dalmatians.

What are some must haves?

What are you looking forward to with school starting back up?

I have applied for more positions today and one of the positions I applied to last week now shows 'Vacancy Closed'. I am not sure if that means someone has been hired, if they have enough applications, or if that means that I will be called soon for an interview. I am just hoping I get a position soon as I need to buy things for my classroom and do not know what I should start buying.

Welcome to the chaos!

This is my 13th year in elementary. Can’t get into my classroom because construction is way behind schedule :rofl: I was told last week it’d be this week. This week it’ll be next week. Our PDs start the 15th and kids come the 21st so I’m not yet fussed. Good excuse to not be at work.

I tend to go with the boho decor as it’s very subtle earthy colors. It also tends to go well with a lot of existing DEI (diversity, equity, inclusion) and social justice standards stuff.

Must haves…. Aside from basics, I’d say stackable and clear storage bins for extra supplies were a game changer for me this year to get organized. In SpEd, as a AuDHD mom, those items for accommodations are huge: noise cancelling headphones, squishy seats, kicky/stretchy chair bands, fidgets, calming/sensory corner stuff. All that jazz.

That’s crazy though. Hoping you both find a great spot! Our districts are literally paying for people’s credentials if they sign a contract agreeing to work for the district for x years. SpEd is handing out signing bonuses like they’re tech companies. It’s crazy. My school didn’t hire anybody new but we did take on a handful of intradistrict hires to fill open spots, so the spots opened up somewhere just not at my site. Hang in there!

Oh also considering applying for long term sub. My second year, I was hired as a 50/50 job share. At the very last minute, like a week before school, a teacher quit. So they asked my job share partner (knowing I really wanted full time and had settled for part time to get in the door) if she’d let me take the full time job and she did :)

Welcome to the chaos!

This is my 13th year in elementary. Can’t get into my classroom because construction is way behind schedule :rofl: I was told last week it’d be this week. This week it’ll be next week. Our PDs start the 15th and kids come the 21st so I’m not yet fussed. Good excuse to not be at work.

I tend to go with the boho decor as it’s very subtle earthy colors. It also tends to go well with a lot of existing DEI (diversity, equity, inclusion) and social justice standards stuff.

Must haves…. Aside from basics, I’d say stackable and clear storage bins for extra supplies were a game changer for me this year to get organized. In SpEd, as a AuDHD mom, those items for accommodations are huge: noise cancelling headphones, squishy seats, kicky/stretchy chair bands, fidgets, calming/sensory corner stuff. All that jazz.

That’s crazy though. Hoping you both find a great spot! Our districts are literally paying for people’s credentials if they sign a contract agreeing to work for the district for x years. SpEd is handing out signing bonuses like they’re tech companies. It’s crazy. My school didn’t hire anybody new but we did take on a handful of intradistrict hires to fill open spots, so the spots opened up somewhere just not at my site. Hang in there!
Oh also considering applying for long term sub. My second year, I was hired as a 50/50 job share. At the very last minute, like a week before school, a teacher quit. So they asked my job share partner (knowing I really wanted full time and had settled for part time to get in the door) if she’d let me take the full time job and she did :)

Thank you! Stackable storage containers are what my special education teacher used for each group.

DobbyForever,

I had a virtual interview with a school in another district then the one I live in on Wednesday afternoon and then this morning I had an interview at a school in the same district as the previous interview. I thought todays interview I did so much better than the last one. They were going to let me know by Tuesday if they were going to higher me. Well, while I was in that interview the principal of the school that I interviewed on Wednesday offered me a teaching position and stated that she sent the information to HR at the district building and I would hear back from them and could tell them if I want to proceed with the next steps. So, while we were driving up to Madison, WI so my husband could test drive a 2025 Toyota Camry LE that the dealer had the HR person called me. It was not until we got there that I was finally alerted of a voicemail. I listened to it and called. I asked if we could negotiate the salary, but she told me the pay is set for first year teachers and as I gain more experience and am there for several years then we could negotiate. It didn't hurt to ask. I asked some other questions and was directed to the online employee handbook. Anyway, I said yes to the offer and after the health check, TB test, background check, etc, I will be a

2nd Grade Teacher. :yipee::wohoo::loopy:

Congrats! Second grade is my favorite. Yes, definitely non negotiable salaries for teachers. You earn more on years of service and credits past your BA. I’m at the farthest column because I got a masters, so I can always take pay vs credit on things like PD. My mom is on the lowest column because she only has her BA and credential. We got our credentials together actually haha. Various stipend positions may open up. Like I’m doing a reading intervention training that nets me $2k extra pay. I was a DEI champion for an extra $3k. I did a C&I liaison for $1k. Summer school is such great money. Summer camps are fun, but more work for less pay and idk how they messed up my taxes working for a second job vs working at school. If they offer benefits, you might save money there. Like my employer contributes 13k to my health so they basically pay for my healthcare. I’m only paying for my son. But most teachers get healthcare through their husbands here. Tech companies be covering while families :rofl: anyway congrats!!

Also unsolicited piece of advice. Until you’re permanent, have no opinions. Be in the union but do not do any union protests. Especially if it’s a temporary contract. Yes Ma’am or Yes Sir until you’re permanent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubysan
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->