Any tips for getting baby to take a bottle?

Itsychik

Reaction score
My DD is 10 weeks old tomorrow and we tried giving her a bottle of expressed milk today for the first time. She absolutely refused to take it and got furious and screamed/cried until I offered a breast.

DH tried the bottle while I hid out of sight, but nothing he did got her to take it. Then I tried, which didn't work, so I tried breast feeding her (to take the edge of the hunger off) and tried switching to the bottle but that didn't work either.

Any suggestions on how we can get her to take a bottle? She also refuses pacifiers but I had hoped since milk comes out of the bottle she'd take it more easily...

Little tip I learned from someone, I've not tried it myself, but my mom (who works in an infant room in a Preschool) said that it's true:

If you take the lid off the bottle or even use a sippy cup (with no lid), then the baby will drink it straight from the cup/bottle. It works with breastfed babies that have never taken a bottle before.

Good luck!

Will she suck on your pinky? (Nail bed face down)

If so, perhaps you can use a syringe along wide your pinky at first, to get her used to getting milk from something other than your nipple, then introduce a bottle again. Make sue you rub the bottle nipple with your milk each time you put it in her mouth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->