Any tips on relieving anxiety while pregnant?

HopingFor2v1

Soon to be Mommy of 2
Reaction score
Hi ladies! About a year ago, I started taking medicine to help with my anxiety, the medicine really helped me and I continued to take it until November when we started TTC. (Also, a bit of background, After having DD1, I experienced PPD) Now that I'm pregnant and my hormones are all over the place, I'm having some pretty tough battles with my anxiety again. I'm going tomorrow to speak with my doctor about getting a referral for Cognative- Behavior therapy, but in the mean time, do you have any tips on how to ease anxiety? I've been trying essential oils and breathing, but I don't know how much it's really helping. Part of the anxiety stems from knowing I have anxiety and not being able to take the medicine I used to take :dohh:

I'd appreciate any suggestions. I feel like I should be more excited now that I'm pregnant, but my feelings are all over the place.

I use an app called "Mind the Bump". It has meditations on there for first trimester all the way through pregnancy to early parenthood.

I have only used it a few times, mostly at night to help clear my mind before sleep. It is definitely helping.

Exercise helps me sometimes. If you have the energy, try going for a jog or swimming. I always felt great after going for a run. I just don't have the energy for it at the moment.

I used hyno cds while preg with ds.
Helped to relax and better sleep .
Helped me during birth too xx

I am a Psychotherapist and if you came to me as a patient I wouldn't work so much on CBT rather MBSR which is Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction techniques. Deep Breathing, Progressive Muscle Relaxation, Guided Imagery and Other forms of Meditation. Tara Brach has useful tools as well as "Stress relief with dr. siddharth ashvin shah - guided meditation using self hypnosis techniques and yoga nidra relaxation" You can find that on ITunes and I find his material to work amazingly well. Personally speaking I struggled with terrible anxiety the first 6 weeks. It will ease up. I take an hour walk every night and get plenty of rest, oh and drink tons of water. All these things helped me. Feel free to message me anytime if I can help in any way.

I can relate. I don't have too much, but occasionally I get some anxiety. Obviously, I can't take Xanax anymore. When I get overwhelmed I go sit by myself, usually in my bedroom, put on some relaxing music and do some of that adult coloring. Usually helps me!

I completely understand. I see a psychologist weekly and took diazapam (Valium) low dose as needed sparingly but obviously am not now. I also put my appointments on hold because I was so paranoid about losing the pregnancy I didn't want to cause myself any upset by talking at my appointments. We agreed that I would start going back after my 12 weeks scan. I'm due to start DBT sometime in the near future. I have borderline personality disorder X

I am a Psychotherapist and if you came to me as a patient I wouldn't work so much on CBT rather MBSR which is Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction techniques. Deep Breathing, Progressive Muscle Relaxation, Guided Imagery and Other forms of Meditation. Tara Brach has useful tools as well as "Stress relief with dr. siddharth ashvin shah - guided meditation using self hypnosis techniques and yoga nidra relaxation" You can find that on ITunes and I find his material to work amazingly well. Personally speaking I struggled with terrible anxiety the first 6 weeks. It will ease up. I take an hour walk every night and get plenty of rest, oh and drink tons of water. All these things helped me. Feel free to message me anytime if I can help in any way.

Kat, sincerely, thank you! I will look into finding those things on iTunes.

Thank you ladies for your support and suggestions. I have found exercise does help, so I try to get out and do something, even a short walk, oncea day. I'll have to get an adult coloring book, I love how calming that activity is.

Oddly, it does help know other women experience this. I'm hesitant to talk about my anxiety with friend, not for fear of judgement, but because I don't feel like they understand. I'm very open about it with my DH, and thankfully, he has been 100% supportive, though at times he admits he doesn't know how to help me through it.

I completely understand. I see a psychologist weekly and took diazapam (Valium) low dose as needed sparingly but obviously am not now. I also put my appointments on hold because I was so paranoid about losing the pregnancy I didn't want to cause myself any upset by talking at my appointments. We agreed that I would start going back after my 12 weeks scan. I'm due to start DBT sometime in the near future. I have borderline personality disorder X

Just wanted to say I think you are very strong for sharing your story. Not too many people want to share mental health diagnosis. You obviously have your ducks in a row, DBT has the highest success rate for dealing with borderline personality type or the traits that come with it. I have patients who want DBT treatment but many insurances won't cover it in regards to the providers who actually do it. I am taking a 12 week training on DBT and hope to be certified ASAP.

Just wanted to say I think you are very strong for sharing your story. Not too many people want to share mental health diagnosis. You obviously have your ducks in a row, DBT has the highest success rate for dealing with borderline personality type or the traits that come with it. I have patients who want DBT treatment but many insurances won't cover it in regards to the providers who actually do it. I am taking a 12 week training on DBT and hope to be certified ASAP.

Thank you that means so much to hear, I have been hesitant about telling people as for some reason it does come with a stigma or alternatively there are people who seem to think it's "made up" I have a lot of hope for the DBT, I was due to begin a quite intensive therapy course before Christmas but then had a crisis and because of that my doctor said it was no longer suitable as it was aimed at those who where in a stable place and I wasn't quite. X

Thank you that means so much to hear, I have been hesitant about telling people as for some reason it does come with a stigma or alternatively there are people who seem to think it's "made up" I have a lot of hope for the DBT, I was due to begin a quite intensive therapy course before Christmas but then had a crisis and because of that my doctor said it was no longer suitable as it was aimed at those who where in a stable place and I wasn't quite. X

I personally would challenge your Doctor and ask him when are borderlines ever stable and not in crisis? That is how your whole world functions. It's a triangulation of Persecutor, Victim, Rescuer. I don't know what was going on at the time but stability for borderlines is hard to come by. Borderline is not made up, it is a temperament you are born with. After that nurture vs. nature kicks in. DBT is very intense but it works. It helps you first learn to manage your behavior, emotions and interpersonal relationships. Always have to work on modifying the behavior first because the emotional stuff is really what you thrive on. I could go on and on as I have several borderline patients.
Keep in mind some people
Have traits without being full blown borderlines. Do you need constant and immediate validation?

I would say if I was being honest yes I do, and I have found a big relief in recently cutting back to way fewer friends as I found female friends in particular where huge daily triggers for me, felt there was constant conflict, either resentment on my part if I felt they where being very selfish and self centred or alternatively they would be displeased with me, I think one person I was very close to in fact more than likely has borderline personality disorder herself but she just doesn't know it. The course I'm speaking of wasn't a DBT course, I forget what it was but perhaps that was why it was unsuitable? I did wonder if she in the end hadn't put my name down and didn't want to tell me this since I had been waiting best part of the year to begin it. To be fair though I shouldn't complain as being in the UK, it takes many years of suffering and referals to be seen but once you are in the system we don't have to pay for our care as its covered by the NHS X

I would say if I was being honest yes I do, and I have found a big relief in recently cutting back to way fewer friends as I found female friends in particular where huge daily triggers for me, felt there was constant conflict, either resentment on my part if I felt they where being very selfish and self centred or alternatively they would be displeased with me, I think one person I was very close to in fact more than likely has borderline personality disorder herself but she just doesn't know it. The course I'm speaking of wasn't a DBT course, I forget what it was but perhaps that was why it was unsuitable? I did wonder if she in the end hadn't put my name down and didn't want to tell me this since I had been waiting best part of the year to begin it. To be fair though I shouldn't complain as being in the UK, it takes many years of suffering and referals to be seen but once you are in the system we don't have to pay for our care as its covered by the NHS X

Many of my family members live in the UK as my family is from England. My aunt and uncle are on the Isle Of Mann. My second aunt is a psychiatrist in England, oddly enough. Having less friends seems to work better for me also. I don't really like the whole group effect. I prefer staying somewhat isolated. My husband and I are very helpful to others, are always here for everyone, but for the most part keep to ourselves. Lots of friends is overrated. Your friend probably is, lots of borderlines find friendship with others, not realizing it. Sounds like you have a good sense of yourself and that is amazing! Insight is so helpful. I am wide awake and it's 5:30 am. My mind is racing and I have to be up in two hours. God help me.

Many of my family members live in the UK as my family is from England. My aunt and uncle are on the Isle Of Mann. My second aunt is a psychiatrist in England, oddly enough. Having less friends seems to work better for me also. I don't really like the whole group effect. I prefer staying somewhat isolated. My husband and I very helpful to others, are always here for everyone, but for the most part keep to ourselves. Lots of friends is overrated. Your friend probably is, lots of borderlines find friendship with others, not realizing it. Sounds like you have a good sense of yourself and that is amazing! Insight is so helpful. I am wide awake and it's 5:30 am. My mind is racing and I have to be up in two hours.

Hey Kat! I totally understand where you are coming from. Personally, I have found supplements, diet and lifestyle changes helped me.

A product called Natural Calm which is just magnesium is amazing at to use night bfore bed!! I make sure to eat a lot of healthy fats (coconut oil, butter, avocado), good proteins, and good carbs (sweet potatoes). I also make sure I drink a lot of water and go outside everyday to get some sunshine, even though it just started warming up here. Meditation is a good tool as others have mentioned as well.

As far as nutrition goes, try to stay away from sugary crap! It definitively will not help you if you are anxious.

Best of luck to you!

Hey Kat! I totally understand where you are coming from. Personally, I have found supplements, diet and lifestyle changes helped me.

A product called Natural Calm which is just magnesium is amazing at to use night bfore bed!! I make sure to eat a lot of healthy fats (coconut oil, butter, avocado), good proteins, and good carbs (sweet potatoes). I also make sure I drink a lot of water and go outside everyday to get some sunshine, even though it just started warming up here. Meditation is a good tool as others have mentioned as well.

As far as nutrition goes, try to stay away from sugary crap! It definitively will not help you if you are anxious.

Best of luck to you!

I use CALMAG!! This not only helps you to relax because of the magnesium but it helps move your bowels along!! We are often very deficient in magnesium anyhow. Sounds like your supplement is similar to mine. My vitamin is whole food source with folate, I run everyday and I take naps! Listen to your body it speaks loudly!! Oh and crazy amounts of water!!!

Another question for you ladies.... After having previously experiencing PPD with DD1, I know I'm more susceptible to having it again with this baby. When I went for my 1st OB appt today, my doc said they would want to see me after 2 weeks post baby instead of the normal 6 to assess if I am having trouble with PPD again. It seemed a bit odd to me as I figured we would have a plan set up in advance so I could begin any treatment right away. Is it normal to wait 2 weeks to start a treatment plan for PPD?

One of my triggers is thinking about going through PPD again. It brings me a great deal of anxiety to think of even waiting 2 weeks to have to live with those terrible feelings again, because I'd say some of my worst times were within those first 2 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->