Any un-schoolers?

People I know that went to school with me done their qualifications again as the school failed them all in the local tecq collage.

Can i just ask a question out of interest. How does home schooling work if a child decides wants to go to university or needs certain qualiforcations for dream job. I know you can take exams if not in school. The children i have taught who have been home schooled before starting school in yr2-3 have been really well rounded and can defenetly see how it works. The one family i know who did homeschool that i knew as a child each of them got one gcse in music and struggled with jobs. Im sure it does work. My husband tutors several people doing gcse and a levels later on but just wondered how you plan for it. I find unschooling and home schooling facinating. When i was teaching reception we did alot of learning through play and child led and i think it benefits children if they were able to do this longer.

Obviously, we've not been doing this long, but as you might expect, it was a big question for me to research before going ahead!

Our school system has set ages where children take exams, often without knowing what they'll use them for. Heck, I did my degree without knowing why! Coming from a home ed perspective, they can set their mind on what they want to do, and choose to take exams that help them reach that whether they are 14, 24 or 64! It's important to be realistic with the child, and make sure they are aware of how job applications work, and how to reach their goals. There are more routes to those goals than you might expect though. I knew of a girl at uni who had no A levels, but was accepted on her degree course through an interview and submitted work. Other children might not go down the academic route at all, and work their way up or start their own businesses. That's the joy of home ed, it's tailored exactly to the personality and interests of the child.

Thankyou, its really interesting. Im a trained teacher so know the set usual route and i think its horrible how schools are now more about training to take tests rather than skills for life. As long as my daughter does her best i wont care about grades and my husband who is a teacher is the same. When you said about tests it reminded me i know someone who just sat an enterence exam to prove ability and that was for teacher training. With teaching you have to take gcse exam certificates, a level, degree and teaching qualiforcation to interviews and thats what made me wonder. Like you said when i did my degree i had no idea what i wanted to do and i can see how home schooling may allow you to help a child be able to focus more as having that individual teaching. Schools are having to worry more about offstead and pleasing the government line so home schooling is an interesting concept.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->