Anybody else on Metformin tablets for GD?

paula727

Reaction score
I'm on metformin for getsational diabetes, I have to take 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening but I am having horrible side effects :( Abdominal cramping, vomiting and diarrhea (sorry tmi) anybody else experiencing the same side effects? or similar?

x

i did hun. I couldnt move away from the toilet for long. I was switched to insulin after 2 weeks as it got so bad i couldnt go out anywhere xx

As far as I am aware they don't prescribe them in the US any more to pregnant women, at least where I live. My OB said 70% of the medication crosses the placenta, where as with insulin it doesn't. I'm diet controlled GD, but she made a point to tell me this right away. GL. I hope you feel better. :)

Yes me! I get some cramps and nausea, plus very little warning when I need to go lol. It's controlling my GD really well though, so I'm holding on to that fact it will only be a few more weeks until I can stop taking it. I'm also on iron tablets, which doesn't help the situation either lol. Xxx

I've been on metformin through out my whole pregnancy. I have the occasional diarrhea but it also depends on what I eat with it. If you've just started taking it, it will be a while before the side effects taper off. However, try not eating carbs with the meds, they seem to make it worse.

I too am on Metformin (whole time). My MFM doctors DO use Metformin to treat GD. However, I have PCOS, so I've been on Metformin for many years.

I'm on 2000mg a day, like you, I take two in the morning and two in the evening. However, I forget to take them some days. My GD, in my opinion, is being controlled strictly by my diet. If I forget to take my Metformin, it doesn't seem to do anything. I also have to do insulin at night time before I go to bed cause my fasting numbers were too high.

Metformin does take a while to get used to by your body. It will cause stomach pains, nausea and the runs. I think it took my body about a month or two to adjust to it. Sorry you're going through that. :( As another poster mentioned, Metformin side effects are greatly tied to your diet. The better you eat (and for us PCOS women, that means less carbs) the less the side effects are.

Also, and this is key.... NEVER take Metformin on an empty stomach. That will most likely give you the runs even if you're eating great. I have done it a number of times just because of timing and schedule and I have regretted it later. :)

The only bonus to being pregnant and taking Metformin is it may help you with weight gain. I'm almost 29 weeks and I've actually lost 25 pounds and haven't gained anything. My OB wanted me to stop taking my pills at 12 weeks but my high risk doctor told me no, keep taking it. So, my OB is slightly annoyed by that but when she talks about my weight she said "you're cheating you're on Metformin".

Good luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->