Anybody "fail" the first time around but bf second baby?

SIEGAL

Pregnant mother of 1
Reaction score
Sorry about using the word fail. I didn't want to say unable to breastfeed as I'm sure I was able to physically but it just didnt work out.
With my first I had a somewhat formula pushing pediatrician, he made me paranoid That DD wasn't eating enough so I supplemented and pumped so I could measure her food, my mother pressured me to measure also, my stupid inlaws were in my tiny apt and I had no privacy to breastfeed as they wanted their granddaughter so I stayed in my room and pumped and cried all day. I'm also pretty shy with giant boobs so I didn't want anyone to see me breastfeed out. She didnt stay on the nipple either but I think it's bc she was bottle fed from day 1

I think I know all the reasons why my breastfeeding failed the first time. I have a plan: different pediatrician, in laws staying in hotel, me not caring what my mom thinks. Only problem I'm still stuck with is the giant boobs you can't discreetly whip out and my shyness .

Anyone have advice on this? Anyone do much better the second time around??

My first didn't latch so after a month of pumping, I switched to formula.

My second latched perfectly shortly after she was born, we're still going strong 20 months in (with the occasional hiccup - usually mine!) xx

Was easy as pie! My 1st was bottle fed from day 3.

You already know how to be a mom and breastfeeding is all you have to learn. I hired a doula and enlisted the help of a midwife only to not need it. Just talk yourself through the hard moments ("this is a cluster feed... this is a cluster feed... remember this is a growth spurt...") and you'll be fine.

My first didn't latch so after a month of pumping, I switched to formula.

My second latched perfectly shortly after she was born, we're still going strong 20 months in (with the occasional hiccup - usually mine!) xx

Was your first a difficult birth? (if you don't mind me asking)

I formula fed my first after the first few days as he'd dropped dramatically in weight, he was tiny as it is and he also just never took to latching...i was so disappointed and angry at my stupid body not being perfect enough for him to be able to latch too.

This time round tho, i researched the issues i had first time round and had an idea of how id get around them...he latched beautifully first time on the boob and weve been going strong ever since...Im hoping to keep going for as long as DS2 wants too.

I bf my first for 3 weeks, really had to push myself to get that far as it was painfull, cracked nipples and I was so tired I wanted help so switched to formula!

This time round is completely different even with a toddler in tow!
I haven't had a cracked nipple at all! She latches great, I haven't had to bf in public yet and am not very discreet at bf! Still learning I guess!
I've gone into with a completely different frame of mind! Not bothered what others think, ignoring people's 'advice' if you can call it that!!

We are doing amazing although its not been long, things I've different are using lansinoh nipple cream if I feel a feed has been a little uncomfy, had my mind set on doing it from the minute I fell pregnant, and not listening to others 'wise' comments and advise!
I only listen to the people who praise us and encourage bf!

Obviously I know that its not that easy and it doesn't work for everyone and I may have been lucky this time round.
Good luck and if your happy and baby is happy then noone else matters!

I formula fed my first after the first few days as he'd dropped dramatically in weight, he was tiny as it is and he also just never took to latching...i was so disappointed and angry at my stupid body not being perfect enough for him to be able to latch too.

This time round tho, i researched the issues i had first time round and had an idea of how id get around them...he latched beautifully first time on the boob and weve been going strong ever since...Im hoping to keep going for as long as DS2 wants too.

Congrats Lellow and welcome to the storm!!!

Congrats Lellow and welcome to the storm!!!
:)

Thank you my lovely.

I had a hard time the first time around. My daughter had a bad tongue tie, so my nipples were so sore and cracked all the time, and my MIL was advising me not to bf her more than once every two hours, because "she did that with her kids, and it was fine". Plus, I was very depressed after giving birth and wasn't eating enough calories to keep my supply up.

This time around, I had my son checked for tongue tie right away, I'm feeding on demand, and eating plenty of food, and so far, so good! At this point with DD, I was already having to do half her feeds with formula because my supply had dropped so badly. But for DS, I have enough milk to EBF.

I think a lot of it is knowing what to expect and feeling confident as a mother, because the first time around we're just so overwhelmed and inexperienced that we tend to let pediatricians, nurses, in-laws, and parents walk all over us.

We didn't get very far with my first, he refused to latch, completely hated being held close so I expressed with what turned out to be a usless leaking pump and lost heart with it all and eventually formula made everyone happy so it went on from there.
LO2 was only born yesterday but so far he has latched on brilliantly and even though im not even producing colostrum hes being patient with me and seems happy enough so hes on my boob pretty much all the time to encourage a flow and when hes sleeping im using a electric pump to try get something going.
I did managed to produce a few drops of colostrum earlier so we are just taking it one step at a time.

My first born couldn't feed - didn't know why at the time, but it was down to his heart. After 3 weeks of expressing I gave in and hit the bottle! I was really stressed about it and felt such a failure.
With number 2 I decided I wouldn't get stressed out, if it happened it happened... And she's feeding amazingly (right now)!
Only fed in public a few times, but find having a scarf to hand helps. Don't be put off by initial latching issues in early days, my wee girl had that sussed by her 2nd week... But before that I had no idea how I could do it discretely!
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->