Anyone doing or have done PGS pregenetic screening

wishingforjoy

Reaction score
This is my first go at IVF and we have chosen to do the 24 chromosome testing. This requires a 5 day biopsy of my embies and then they will be frozen while awaiting the results. Then we will transfer probably the following cycle. I've had a previous chromosome abnormal miscarriage and want to make sure I get the best grade embies.

My clinic requires us doing ICSI for the biopsy my husband has normal sperm so I was wondering why this is required for the biopsy. Of course all of this adds to my out of pocket expenses which is stressing me out because it's getting really expensive

Anyone else do PGS

Hi there!

My wife and I decided after TTC and finding out that I have motility issues (clomid and vitamins did not help) to look into IVF. Turns out it is a blessing in disguise because we did not know about the genetic testing. I have polycistic kidney disease, and by sequencing my genes they can test the embryos to ensure they don't have PKD. Since we are already doing genetic testing we are also doing PGS for all the other basic stuff.

We will probably be starting the IVF process itself sometime in April or May, since it takes a few weeks for them to get my sequencing done so they know what gene markers to check the embryos for.

We will also be doing IVF / ICSI, so I will keep you posted on how things go, and what the process really is like.
-BigTex

Hi there!

My wife and I decided after TTC and finding out that I have motility issues (clomid and vitamins did not help) to look into IVF. Turns out it is a blessing in disguise because we did not know about the genetic testing. I have polycistic kidney disease, and by sequencing my genes they can test the embryos to ensure they don't have PKD. Since we are already doing genetic testing we are also doing PGS for all the other basic stuff.

We will probably be starting the IVF process itself sometime in April or May, since it takes a few weeks for them to get my sequencing done so they know what gene markers to check the embryos for.

We will also be doing IVF / ICSI, so I will keep you posted on how things go, and what the process really is like.
-BigTex

Good somebody else is doing PGS I thought I was the only one. We initially were going to PGD but turns out only my husband is a carrier of a genetic disease which requires both parents to pass it on. The hospital I'm doing IVF actually doesn't do the testing it will be sent basically across the country to a genetic lab
Sounds like I will be starting before you as I'm already on Lupron. I'll also keep you updated on how this goes along

I'm about to embark on the same journey

I just did PGS in December and transferred PGS-normal embryos (2) yesterday.

Initially I was going to do the overnight PGS so that I could transfer during the fresh cycle but then developed OHSS so we ended up freezing them all. As I understand it if you do a 5-day biopsy, they will take a couple of cells and ship them to the lab that does the sequencing. You then get a report which tells you whether the embryos are normal and if they are not, what the abnormality is. I think you also get a report of the sex if you want but since it is illegal in my jurisdiction, we do not know what the sex is - we could find out now that they have been transferred but we have no interest in doing so.

I also did PGS testing/ICSI, day 5 biopsy on my embryos. They had to freeze the embryos so I was not able to do a fresh cycle. I had 5 embryos that made to day 5. After PGS testing, 4 embryos are deemed genetically normal. I was able to find out the gender in connection with the PGS testing. I don't have a problem finding out (all 4 embryos are boys), and I read that some people chose not to find out. I am sure you can work that out with your embryologist/RE if you don't want to know. I got a copy of the Blastocyst PGS Report from my RE and I was able to tell the blastocyst stage & grade, along with the PGS outcome.

We didn't have a specific reason to do the PGD testing, other than the fact that I am a little older (36 at the time of the egg retrieval). I am worried about having twins so my RE suggested implanting 1 PGS tested embryo to maximize my chance of getting pregnant.

I did a FET in December and I did get my BFP. Unfortunately, I miscarried at 6 weeks. We were all surprised because it was supposed to be a genetically normal embryo. I am doing FET #2 on Friday. I am still going to transfer 1 embryo this time. PGS is not cheap, so even with my miscarriage, I still think it's still worth it because it gives me a peace of mind that the embryo is normal should the pregnancy continued. Hoping for better luck this time.

Good luck in your journey too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->