anyone done a access to nursing course in college but changed in uni?

thats luck here when you do a access course you have to apply on the december the year you start so i started access course august 2011 and personal statment due december 2011 here in scotland the uni applications need to be in before jan, unless its medicine then you have to apply in october, we will know in about march/may what places they have and what we get. that makes sense?

Yeah that makes sense. Not sure what month you apply here, but I am hoping that nearer the time I will be able to phone them or even nip in and ask as I am only a 10 min walk away. :) I guess I have time before I need to think about that anyway.

You already have your place though don't you? Or do you need to reapply now that you want to do something else?

although this course gets you a place in uni there is no saying which place you will get so you have to apply for a branch in nursing if thats what you want to do because i have decided to do anatomy i have to apply with everyone else who wants to do anatomy and fight to get in, they will only take you in uni if you complete the whole course at a good level, pass everything, and apply to uni right here its through ucas but not sure what it is in england or that, the college you are going the access course at will tell you when you need to apply and help you apply for the course, it find it hard writing personal statment saying what i am the best and why they should pick me lol :D its all competition so everything counts.

have you got your place on the access course for 2012?

No not yet I think they have meetings with tutors from June, an open day, and then enrolment day in august. Can't do it so far ahead in advance. :(

I wonder why you have to do anatomy first? I'm doing medicine now and none of us have done any anatomy already, you will have it all taught to you again.

I wonder why you have to do anatomy first? I'm doing medicine now and none of us have done any anatomy already, you will have it all taught to you again.

:( sounds a bit wasteful, wonder why that is?

I found out today on my course I have to get at least the majority of merits for the tasks set on the course to get onto Access. Hope I will! We will see, my first task is sooooo long, and will have to make it appear good enough. Let's just keep fx, eh? :D

anatomy is the only way i can get into medicine now because of my age etc, there are no other degrees that i know of that i can access from this access course and then go on to do medicine from and don't have the right grades at the moment to go straight into medicine, there are no colleges etc that can help me get these grades. it might be seen as a waste but will already have a degree so think that might make medicine a little easier to do since it wont be anything too new.

anatomy is the only way i can get into medicine now because of my age etc, there are no other degrees that i know of that i can access from this access course and then go on to do medicine from and don't have the right grades at the moment to go straight into medicine, there are no colleges etc that can help me get these grades. it might be seen as a waste but will already have a degree so think that might make medicine a little easier to do since it wont be anything too new.

I see. :D Well that makes sense and I suppose if anything you will have that advantage when you do get onto medicine that you will know alot before you even start :) I am guaranteed my place on Access as long as I at least get a merit - she said it was like a pre-access course and we will get priority over others applying for access :D Spaces were so limited that I am glad I did not attempt to get straight onto that.

Makes sense to me now the path you are going. x

I'm sorry to barge in but i'm thinking of doing an access course into nursing so i can go onto university to do midwifery. The college near me does it but the course fee is £900! i am unemployed & i dont get jobseekers as my partner earns too much according to them, how would i go about paying for this. I'm not going to apply till next year so i have a chance to get a job & get some money together. Is there any help out there financially for me? thankyou x

Well I know my college has reduced fees based on income - or anything over £300 can be paid in installments. x

Thankyou :)
I e-mailed them to ask about it as i'd posted before i even thought about actually asking the college -_- lol.
They said i could do it in installments :).
I'm going to the open event in November to get more information x

Good luck! I would never have got onto access this year it was too full - we will get priority next year though, so that is cool, and I will have to pay too cause it wont be my first level 2 or anything. I have to say your college does it cheap! It is £1,520 just for my Health and Social Care course!

:O really i did have a good look around for cheaper ones but yeah the one near where i live is the cheapest.
Good luck to you :).
This will be my 3rd time at college -_- i just messed about at my last 2. Wish i hadnt.
Oh well i'm way more focused now!
Hopefully we'll all get through it & become fully qualified! :D

I'm sorry to barge in but i'm thinking of doing an access course into nursing so i can go onto university to do midwifery. The college near me does it but the course fee is £900! i am unemployed & i dont get jobseekers as my partner earns too much according to them, how would i go about paying for this. I'm not going to apply till next year so i have a chance to get a job & get some money together. Is there any help out there financially for me? thankyou x

alot of times what happens is if you are unemployed you get a bursary and then you don't pay for the course, i don't know anyone on my course who paid for it might be different where you are.

also your luck in Scotland they aren't taking people onto midwife course.

Ah I see.I'm going to ask all about my options when I go to the open day in November see what they suggest :). Really!? Do you know when they will be? Hopefully you can do it soon x

there are on jobs for midwives in scotland so they are not wasting money on training them. i have no interest in being a midwife i respect them but i could not do the job myself.

i really hope you get all the information you need the college is best place to get this because each college is different.

best of luck xx

I've applied to do Access next year, have just missed this years unfortunatley :( Am hoping to do Children's nursing and then a Health Visiting addon. The access course is equivilent to 2 A levels.
I've previously done half a degree in Teaching but left to have my little girl and never went back but still need to do the access course to get onto the nursing degree, seems silly really but heyho.

do you not have a high enough grade in science? here Access is more than 2 Alevels we do at least 5 as well as add ons like IT and prevention and causes of illness

we have to go maths, english etc but if you have any of these already they don't get u to do the exam as its a waste of money

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->