anyone done a access to nursing course in college but changed in uni?

lynne192

mum 2 James & Libby
Reaction score
i am doing access to nursing in college at the moment i have a place in uni for nursing for next year but wondering what else i might be able to get into in uni with the access to nursing course

anyways wondering if anyone done the access to nursing course but didn't actually do nursing at uni?

from what I understand Access is a form of HE that counts as 5 GCSE's grade A-C or equivalent, so many places will take that.....and for different courses ....

I am hoping to do Access to Nursing next year - can I ask why you have changed your mind? Nothing will change mine but just wondering what it is like since you are doing it :) I had to start low with Health & Social care .....

On my college prospectus it says and access to nursing can lead to further courses in nursing and midwifery. Im presuming thats all it could be really - you couldnt really go and do business as you would need maths a level etc for that...iykwim?

from what I understand Access is a form of HE that counts as 5 GCSE's grade A-C or equivalent, so many places will take that.....and for different courses ....

I am hoping to do Access to Nursing next year - can I ask why you have changed your mind? Nothing will change mine but just wondering what it is like since you are doing it :) I had to start low with Health & Social care .....

I know alot of people that have done the course and come away with either a Pass or Merit but not taken it further because of uni places. I was going to do my access this year along with Maths GCSE as I got D in school but I know if I dont get a C+ in Maths then I can kiss goodbye to uni, gonna give Maths my full attention this yr so I can concentrate next yr on getting a good access grade and a uni place!

i am looking to do something in the health care field but unsure if nursing is really for me, i am going to apply for it because it's my guaranteed place in uni for next year thats the point of this course but i am looking to see what our degrees might be available to me, i have been looking at the uni's and courses and thinking about applying for genetics or immunology. both would be in labs i know that one course i can apply for from nursing is biomedical science at uni now. but i am unsure if thats good job wise. i am just thinking things over i don't want to go to uni and regret it.

here the access to nursing is more like highers than GCES's as i already have 7 grades equal to GCES's....

was just looking at whats open to me future wise.

If you have a look on the UCAS website at the courses your interested in they will tell you what you will need to get in, like it will say what standards you need and what highers you'll need, and what other qualifications will count - like access courses.

I've found UCAS to be more informative than the Uni websites, even though it's basically the same info it's broken down

So does Access not count as a Maths equivilent then? I was hoping with that and my personal experience I would get onto do Special Needs Nursing, but if I need a GCSE in maths I would have to do that at some point too. I am sure the Uni by me said it takes eqivilent, which is what Access is lsited as .... I think. May have misread it. Hope not. xx

If within the access you take a maths module then it is counted towards uni. Im choosing to do mine seperately as my math is shocking and needs ALOT of work

We do a maths and English language module in H&SC, so when I do access I will have two then :p Not too bad. My tutor today said they assess your level so I suppose if I am shocking I will have to take maths outside the courses too. x

SWAP came into the college today and i talked some stuff over apparently i can do 3-4years in anatomy and then go into medicine :D

SWAP came into the college today and i talked some stuff over apparently i can do 3-4years in anatomy and then go into medicine :D

That will be sooo interesting! :D Good for you :)

been banging my head looking for a way to get into medicine for 4 years lol guess its time i found one ah lol just need to talk it over and i will have to compeet for a place which is fine :D

We do a maths and English language module in H&SC, so when I do access I will have two then :p Not too bad. My tutor today said they assess your level so I suppose if I am shocking I will have to take maths outside the courses too. x

Yeah it's all counted so everything helps! I took my test thingy and maths was at GCSE level and my English at university level but I felt so out of depth that I think I should just concentrate on that! Costing £250 more but I really think I need the extra help

Yeah it's all counted so everything helps! I took my test thingy and maths was at GCSE level and my English at university level but I felt so out of depth that I think I should just concentrate on that! Costing £250 more but I really think I need the extra help

Well good luck with it! The good thing about the H&SC course if that there is no final exam - you either get a fail, pass, merit or distinction. And what you get at the end is based how you started the course - so if I am a dim-wit but end it well I should get at least pass, which would get me on to Access. I am going to love every second of the learning, even the maths! I can already work out medicines, thanks to personal experience, so I am hoping I wont have to know much more than how many Micrograms in a mil and wot-not :D

Again, good luck with yours! :) x

You too! Are you doing the access next yr, I'll be badgering for homework help haha!

i have already done 18 weeks of this course so its been easier to get back into it but soon be applying to uni the personal statment is nightmare lol

i have already done 18 weeks of this course so its been easier to get back into it but soon be applying to uni the personal statment is nightmare lol

What is the personal statement? Nice to have a heads up on what to expect ... x

personal statment is what you have to write about yourself to get into uni lol alot of people struggle and worry about doing it more than the course itself lol have both of you got your places for next year?

personal statment is what you have to write about yourself to get into uni lol alot of people struggle and worry about doing it more than the course itself lol have both of you got your places for next year?

No I won't be applying til next year for uni the following year, have to do access first. I think I will be ok with my personal statement as I have over 2 years personal experience that will hopefully count for something! :) :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->