Anyone done The Fast Diet/5:2 Diet?

On my diet day I had a banana & 2 slices sweet melon, & a veggie soup. I wasn't hungry during the day.

It sounds quite interesting. I do slimming world which is quiet a high calorie diet really. What with the pasta and potatoes etc. so it might be a good way to boost it by havi two very low cal days xx

https://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/dieting/recipes/52-diet-fast-low-calorie-1770918
He's some recipes for anyone wondering what you can eat for 500 cals

I was doing it but then went on holiday and couldn't stick to it so got to start it again :)

I did find that once i'd done my 500 cal day i wouldn't feel like snacking as much the next day as i used to. Having spoken to people that have done it i think that tends to happen so in the long run you do actually get into better eating habits as you find that on days when you can eat anything you tend not to and you tend to eat healthier. Also as you progress into the diet you can decrease the number of days you 'fast' for in order to maintain your weight.

No,it is a terrible diet for anyone with diabetes. Restricting your calorific intake to 500 for a day would make it incredibly difficult to keep your blood sugar levels right. Dangerous in fact.

I understand how it can help people lose weight, but regular healthy eating also does this, along with encouraging healthy eating habits for life.

I know someone with diabetes who cut out carbs completely and lost loads of weight,blood sugar at the best its ever been. He has now done the 5:2 diet for about 8 months and hes in the best healh he has ever been! My employer works in diabetes research and says its a great diet,its all about the food choices you make.

Where are you getting your information from?

No,it is a terrible diet for anyone with diabetes. Restricting your calorific intake to 500 for a day would make it incredibly difficult to keep your blood sugar levels right. Dangerous in fact.

I understand how it can help people lose weight, but regular healthy eating also does this, along with encouraging healthy eating habits for life.

I know someone with diabetes who cut out carbs completely and lost loads of weight,blood sugar at the best its ever been. He has now done the 5:2 diet for about 8 months and hes in the best healh he has ever been! My employer works in diabetes research and says its a great diet,its all about the food choices you make.

Diabetic husband/doctor/nurse. Although I do understand all doctors dont always offer the same advice so what one says is good another may not.

I personally prefer the healthy diet amd exercise approach to weight loss, it works for me. I eat aroind 1700 calories a day and am losing 1-2 lbs a week.

A customer of mine husband is type 1 diabetic who went to a clinic in Isreal, a kind of boot camp thing for 2 month came out not needing any more insulin. He lost over 2 stone and was amazingly well. He did a diet of 500 cals per day for a month and cut out all carbs completely. Just fresh well cooked food. Amazing!!
Obviously back at home old habits die hard and he was back on the insulin but it shows if your really committed it can be done.

A customer of mine husband is type 1 diabetic who went to a clinic in Isreal, a kind of boot camp thing for 2 month came out not needing any more insulin. He lost over 2 stone and was amazingly well. He did a diet of 500 cals per day for a month and cut out all carbs completely. Just fresh well cooked food. Amazing!!
Obviously back at home old habits die hard and he was back on the insulin but it shows if your really committed it can be done.

500 cals a day for a month is totally unsustainable, as proved because he hasn't managed to maintain. It also teaches the body's metabolism to slow down, which is why many people who go on extreme diets (not talking about the fasting 5/2) put all the weight back on and more when they go back to regular eating.

The fasting diet and diabetic thing I only commented on with the advice given by my husbands diabetic nurse and GP. I have since read several reports saying that the fasting diet may be helpful in preventing people from getting type 2 diabetes, but equally, so does normal healthy eating

this diet is based on our primal instincts back in a time when food was short. When people went out hunting they would gorge on the meat and the plentiful food (knowing it would go bad quickly) then spend a few days eating nothing but foods they could grow themselves as they had to wait until the next hunt came in and when the seasons were good to grow lots of food.
going short of calories every once in a while is what our bodies are programed to do because of this and they havent evloved much since then it is just with modern times and the excess amounts of foods now that people tend to eat more then what their body needs.
but like everything out there what works for some wont work for others. I do this but only do it once a week, doing twice a week i find myself gorging on crisps and chocolate but once a week i find myself snacking less, eating healthier meals and only eating when hungry not because its 'breakfast time' lunchtime' or 'tea time'

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenyawenya
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->