Anyone else actually looking forward to the budget thingy tomorrow?

winegums

Reaction score
Personally I'm quite excited to see what's going to be happening now! The more we work now to get this country out of the debt the nicer it will be for our children when they are older :thumbup:

i suppose i am, to see whats going to be said/done :)

Curious more than anything, a little bit of trepidation as well.

It is almost always the middle income brackets that get screwed. Those on a high income are so well paid things like cutting child benefit would not really touch them and those who don't earn much usually keep their benefits. Those in the middle end up losing out a lot and sometimes cannot afford to lose out (despite what some might say about this). Also, it always seems to be the public sector that bear the brunt of cuts as well. So a little bit nervous. I would be seriously upset if child benefit gets cut - its a national institution!

Im more curious too, Its better to know where you stand than to be stuck in limbo with all these rumours about what will happen flying around

xx

Not at all, I am dreading to see where they make these cuts, because as has already been said, we all know what bracket they aim for traditionally. If they were making cuts from the banking sector, or increasing tax for the richest in the UK, or removing trident, I would be. Then we get out of debt and people who can least afford it, don't suffer. But hi ho, only in dreamland.

Anyone watching Dispatches now? Interesting, I am not looking forward to it, talk of our base/home being affected

that's a good point about middle income poppy very true!

well we were getting into more and more debt continuously before, and they kept giving away more money for completely random things? oh here's £190 because your pregnant. No matter how much money you earn or whether you really need it?!

If things had continued I would seriously have considered moving somewhere else as I wouldn't want my son to suffer when he's older for our countries mistakes. If they are taking away our free money now, just imagine what would have happened if we had left it a few more years getting into even more debt! we would be even more screwed in the end!

btw hopefully there will be no arguments on this thread that's not why it's here! :D xx

I'm dreading the budget tomorrow!
It's going to be interesting though.

x

that's a good point about middle income poppy very true!

well we were getting into more and more debt continuously before, and they kept giving away more money for completely random things? oh here's £190 because your pregnant. No matter how much money you earn or whether you really need it?!

If things had continued I would seriously have considered moving somewhere else as I wouldn't want my son to suffer when he's older for our countries mistakes. If they are taking away our free money now, just imagine what would have happened if we had left it a few more years getting into even more debt! we would be even more screwed in the end!

btw hopefully there will be no arguments on this thread that's not why it's here! :D xx

I don't want to argue at all, but just a few points on what you said :flower:

The reason HIP isn't means tested is it costs more to means test it than it costs to make it universal. Means testing is incredibly expensive, so on many occations where the new Government are going to means test new items (apparently) it won't actually save money, it is just ideological.

Also, cuts were going to be made whatever the Government, the difference was timing, and who would be penalised most for those cuts. Traditionally, Labour would protect those on lower incomes, and the Tories will protect business interests.

I am honestly more considering leaving after the cuts, because I feel they will especially damage mainstream schooling.

Also, in terms of National Debt, we are very very low down the global chart for debt. In fact, we have one of the lowest national debts. Italy, France, Germany...ect all have much higher national debts. I feel they are using that terminology as an ideological platform to hit those who need the help most.

Again, really don't want to argue either, just explaining my views :)

That's cool Drazic appreciate your views!

I never knew that means testing could cost extra money? why would it cost them so much? Surely if say an average family has 2 or 3 children? and theres thousands of people having babies it would save them a lot not having to give it to most women?

also the debt may not be bad in terms of other countries but i'm not worried about other countries debt, i'm worried about ours and how it may affect my son when he is older. If they carried on getting into debt he would suffer, when I would rather suffer now in his place so that he has a better life... if that makes sense! lol

also on their (can't remember what they are called) where they list what they want to do if they are in power? tories talked about saving money but labour talked about giving more money away i.e. the 'toddler credit' or whatever it was £4 a week for every toddler in the country! so unnecessary

Thanks Winegums hun, it's nice to just talk about these things without any falling out :) (also, just noticed you are 8 weeks preggo, congrats!)

With regard to means testing it's purely administrative cost. If you presume the majority will apply, with all of the bureaucracy that entails, staffing, ect. Apparently it becomes more expensive. I read a policy briefing on it a few months ago and I was utterly surprised, but apparently it's true.

I agree about the Toddler Tax, but I also think the Marriage Tax is as utterly useless. Me and hubby would probably be entitled to £2.88 a week, but with the £500million that will cost I wish they would rather save something which is going to be cut such as free school meals so kids who are from poorer backgrounds are getting decent meals, or just leave the money alone. If we are so indebted, how can we afford that either?

And that totally does make sense about other countries and their effect. I just wish they would put some kind of perspective on things rather than scaremongering people. I guess they will just be able to justify more if people are more scared, which worries me in itself!

I am quite excited too :dohh:
Although, I am a little nervous about what this will mean for our schools. The schools seem to be taking a big hit in all this. Why risk the eduction of the next generation that will be running this country??
I am also a little worried about what it means to us as a family, because, although we dont claim any benefits apart from TC's, we are only just keeping our heads above water, and should the TC's be lowered, we would struggle.

So they get rid of free school meals (which we rely on), but give away money to people for being married :shrug: It doesnt make sense! Priorities all wrong.

800 people on dispatches just saved us £71 billion of our £100 billion debt, and I agreed with alot more cuts on there than some of what I have heard will come tomorrow Lol

Im dreading it tbh

We're only just keeping out heads above water... we get a small amount of TC so if that gets cuts/lowered it will make a difference. Cost of living will no doubt increase to

well VAT is going up from 17.5% to 18.5% meaning cost of living is also going up by at least that 1%

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2010/06/vat-rise-predicted-for-emergency-budget---217551

and imagine if they do implement it on 0% vat items as well i.e childrens clothing.

Gonna be a fun day tomorrow

Well I just can't wait for it to be sorted tomorrow! I know there will be lot's of arguments etc afterwards but at least everyone will know where we stand!

As for the marriage money I think that is silly too but for the HIP if it costs so much to be means tested maybe they shouldn't have done it at all? After all the poorer people have sure start grants etc so they still get some money.

To be honest when I had my baby, only last year.. we only spent a couple of hundred and that's on everything including pram cot clothes etc. So not sure why people need 690 towards it! but maybe that's cos i'm stingy and buy everything of ebay and classifieds hehe

xx

If the cost of living goes up doesn't that just mean people have to be a bit more careful? i.e. shopping around to get decent prices and buying things secondhand? Some people manage with a LOT less than us lucky brits have and they manage happily! :)

xx

Thanks Winegums hun, it's nice to just talk about these things without any falling out :) (also, just noticed you are 8 weeks preggo, congrats!)

Thank you :D congrats to you too! :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->