anyone else been 'warned' they may have to have growth scans in 3rd Tri?

farmerswifey

Reaction score
I went to see my MW again today (remember how reception messed up my booking appt and I had to come back again!!?)
Anyway - all is fine and I had bloods taken etc.

I was just wondering if anyone can help me out with a quick question. MW was filling in form about prev pregnancies and asked the birthweight of my DD.
She was 6lbs 8oz which I thought was pretty normal. Noone said anything to me about her being small when she was born. (3 1/2 years ago)
However, MW 'warned' me that I may have further scans after 20 weeks to measure the growth of the baby as if it is similar to prev pregnancy then this would be considered below average and they like to keep a closer eye on development.
Has this happened to anyone else? Or is this just something that 'may' happen? Are growth scans common?
She mentioned something about 28,32 and 34 weeks scanning.

Or am I imagining the whole thing? I must admit I sort of zoned out after a while.

Please help so I can regain my sanity!!

xxx

that seems odd, her weight seems fine to me, my SIL had three prem babies all below that weight and no extra scans, although im sure you would love to see you baby more. you going to be under consultant care then?

hey hun even though i was on midwifery care with both my other lo's i had growth scans with them both, and they were born weighing 6 2 and 6 3 im pretty sure i had them at 12 20 28 34 and between 37 and 38 just for a final weigh in x

No thats the weird thing!! She has put 'low risk' on all my forms. No extra care or consultant led or anything like that - just normal MW care. She seemed to purely be basing this on my DDs birthweight!?

I thought that 6lbs 8 ozs was pretty regular until she said this. Now she has me all confused.

Its true I would like to see baby more and have the scans but not if there is a worrying reason behind them - like lack of growth!! ARGH!!

Im a normal average sized person and I havent worried about this one single bit...until now!

:(

xx

Oh thanks Vicky!! What was the reason behind the scans in the first place? (if you dont mind me asking?)
Was it due to the birth weight of your previous baby? Or due to the measurements generally in pregnancy?

Thats what is confusing me the most!

xx

yep i was told this 2 as my daughter only weighed 5lb11oz at birth but they did say that her growth slowed down around 33 weeks x

I was 6lbs and that was considered normal enough? I don't know why they'd be worried.

its scary, i have been told i will as its twins, so its nice thinking ill see them more often but scary thinking its because something could go wrong.

We will be fine though im sure, good luck x

Me!

Our daughter was 6lb when she was induced due to preeclampsia.... I also had a small placental tear.... Anyway... They had always estimated baby to be bigger from earlier scans, then when my blood pressure started rising at 32 weeks her growth slowed down.

When she was born they noted the placenta was very small.
Anyway, I'm now under consultant led care and he said I'd need growth scans after 24 weeks to ensure the flow through the placenta was adequate and that baby was still growing ok. Tbh, that has reassured me more than anything as I feel they're keeping a closer eye on her :thumbup:

I'm the opposite, Liam was 9lb7 and today when I told them the weight she did say to the student midwife to make extra notes about it but I think that was more to do with the fact I think I had Gestational Diabetes that wasn't picked up on last time round. Would be great to have some extra scans though! Wonder if this baby will be smaller or a 10 pounder lol!

Oh thanks Vicky!! What was the reason behind the scans in the first place? (if you dont mind me asking?)
Was it due to the birth weight of your previous baby? Or due to the measurements generally in pregnancy?

Thats what is confusing me the most!

xx

i got extra scans due to the fact im only 5 "1 lol so im ded wee so they were expecting a small baby anways but i wasnt made to feel that it was a worying weight or anything, but both my kids did have slightly low blood sugars when they were born which wasnt serious and cleared up after first bf measurements in pregnancy were always on target and i was always measuring what i should but i do have quite a small abdominal space between my boobs to hips but i was told both my kids were born a healthy weight

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->