Anyone else declining test for downs etc?

Shri

Reaction score
We decided against the testing, mostly because we felt that at this stage (first trim) they are not conclusive enough and would only give us more worry if anything came up as a flag for potential problems.

Has anyone else declined tests and if so why, and will you have other tests later on or do you regret your decision?

We declined all non-mandatory testing. Didn't even do the quad-screening at 16 weeks. We knew that whatever the tests said it wouldn't determine the outcome of the pregnancy..we were TTC for two years, nothing would make us terminate, we didn't have any risk factors so...we decided against it. Haven't regretted it at all.

I think i will have all routine bloods ect and see if i am high or low risk as for the needle in the belly ect they can away and sing for there dinner!

At the end of the day .... Finding out will not make baba better they will still come out with/without downs ect

xx

I did some extra screenings and bloodwork because I was able to get 3 extra scans and got to see my LO 5 times instead of the standard 2 scans covered by my insurance. I would never had consented to the CVS or amnio if anything had been abnormal with the scans. I wouldn't have terminated regardless but it has been reassuring to know all the tests were normal.

We decided not to do the screening test. After we talked about it we decided there was room for error in the test and further testing after recieving a positive result may lead to possibly losing the baby. If the test did come back positive we also came to the conclusion that it would not effect our decision on having this baby. We will love our baby regardless if it has Down Syndrome or not. A down syndrome baby is not an "un-healthy" baby in our opinion

Best of luck with all your choices!!! x0x

We declined the testing as well. We decided the tests wouldn't affect what we did with the pregnancy and the high rate of false positives with the follow up tests having a high rate of losing the pregnancy it wasn't worth it. I don't regret it at all. None of the ultrasounds showed any problems.

I'm not testing for downs but I'm having a CVS to test for other genetic problems we've had.

we decided against all screening, with my daughter and with this pregnancy and i dont regret it whats the point worrying about the unknown, years ago there wasnt all these test it's just more pressure put on you, i declined the test as my cousin has downs and he has a brilliant life i would love my baby no matter what !! yes it would be hard but motherhood is anyway ha ha xxx everyones own choice

We decided against all extra screening too. A family friend was told she was high risk with her first pregnancy so decided to have the amnio. She had it and it caused her to miscarry at 16 weeks. I know the chances of this happening are tiny but I wouldnt want the amnio so if I was told I was high risk I would spend the whole of my pregnancy worrying when it could all be for nothing. Similarly, Ive heard so many stories of people being low risk then having a child with downs etc

I declined the down's bloodwork tests because it would not have made a difference to my decision to keep my child or not.

xx

I had the test at the scan where they tell you if your high risk/low risk but i havent had the opportunity to have the triple bloods even if i wanted them

We are going to have the probability test purely because forwarned is forearmed. It would never influence our descision to see the pregnancy through, we would just be prepared for the instance.

It wouldn't make us love Bubble any less. :cloud9:

We declined all of the testing--we knew it wouldn't make a difference either way and didn't want to worry ourselves unecessarily, I don't regret turning it down for one minute!

i declined the extra bloods and tests as i would love LO no matter what and sometimes they are not 100% any way x

i declined the extra blood test as you could still have a child with downs syndrome even if your blood tests show that you are less likely. i just didnt want anything extra to worry about,

but its your choice, no one can make you take the tests,

XX

We haven't had any tests, as it wouldn't change our actions either way. It's been a long journey to get this far, and the first test only give you statistics anyway.

I guess we're still preparing ourselves for a special baby though, as it's always a possibility....

I also had declined the tests. I didn't want the extra worry since they show false positives all the time. It also would not make a difference Zoe is loved however she may be.

I didn't refuse it but at my first hospital appointment the MW offered it too me before telling me I was in the lowest risk category and so there wasn't much point so I didn't have it. The amniocentisis looked scary! And there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with bubs *fingers crossed*

These are all the reasons why we also declined the tests. I don't regret it and I feel glad to know others have chosen as we have, but I do of course still understand the reasons why people take the test. I think it is a very personal decision and both choices deserve equal respect and consideration.

there have been a couple of moments when I have felt uncomfortable, as if I SHOULD be getting the tests because I am 37 now - but that usually has been when the doc has asked me if we were going to do them. I think for them, risk assessment is seperate from feelings of love and hope... and I do understand that. But mainly I thought, the chances of getting false positives and then going through all that worry and possibly further more invasive tests, just doesn't, for me, hold enough weight against the fact that we want this baby and will love it no matter what.

We are declining any testing that is not mandatory. We would never terminate and would love the baby regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->