Anyone else not do Halloween ?

Mrs Doddy

1 pink 1 blue
Reaction score
Feeling a bit bah humbug but have turned off the doorbell, turned out the lights and shut the front room door- lo is 3 and I think she would get scared by the outfits , also I don't want her to think its ok to speak to strangers and ask for sweets (which she doesn't have anyway) she has a little pumpkin with a smiley face but that's it !

Me, I don't answer the door as some of the kids round here are older cheeky so and sos that don't dress up and expect money!

Me, won't be answering the door now. Have encountered some very unpleasant trick or treaters in the past and even if it makes me a bit 'bah humbug' I don't wish to repeat the experience!

Yep me! I have 3 dogs who go crazy if strangers knock and a boy with sensory issues. I've put a note on the door to say not to knock. X

I don't do Halloween at all. I don't get the whole knocking on people's door and expecting sweets part of it. I think it's quite rude, actually. I actually don't get the whole point of Halloween.

We're not. Too many of the older kids around here spoil it for everyone :(

Ugh I hate it. I wouldn't mind going to a fancy dress party or something, or even if the neighbourhood kids got together and went to each other's houses...but basically it's just random sets of teenage children who haven't even bothered to change out of their school uniforms coming round for sweets. I just think go to the pissing corner shop like you do every other night of the bloody year! Plus one set of kids who knocked about 25 times, really riled me, what if I had a newborn who just went to sleep or was elderly and scared?! They were with their mum for frigg's sake, she should know better! I know it's different in US but in UK it's not really our culture and it really sodding gets my goat!!

yep, I dont really like it but my DH does. Our DD is too little at the mo anyway and I did get some sweets in just in case someone knocked...I waited until DD went to bed then put a note on the doorbell saying please knock quietly so as not to wake her (trying to be nice and give away some sweets)...didnt get any trick or treaters before she went then 2 sets rang the doorbell AFTER i put the sign on and woke her....feeling pretty furious!! At least they were cute dressed up kids rather than teenagers.
Its just such a weird mixed up thing in the UK, some people love it, some hate it and all for different reasons. At least in the US its well known and mostly enjoyed in good fun with 'rules' like porch light on = ok etc. sorry turned into a bit of a rant...

We're in the US and Halloween is pretty huge out there. The neighborhood we're in might be a little too quiet so the kids normally go to more lively areas. But if we did get kids in our area, we for sure would pass out candy. But alas, I'm sure like the past 3 years we won't get any kiddos....so nope - we're not doing anything this year.

We live down a country lane. If any child was brave enough to call they could have all my sweets! :haha: we hope to be moving to the nearby town soon so will prob have some next year.

I don't like Halloween either. We dressed the children up this years and took them to our neighbours on either side and the lady down the street and to our inlaws but that is it. I don't want to teach them that it is OK to take sweets off strangers...can't really do that and then throw ones they get given on the tube off it and shout at them for accepting them (happened to my eldest last week- a man offered her a bag of sweets and she took them, he insisted he was being "friendly" and he did genuinely look taken aback but you can never be too sure)

Me, we went to a party round my aunts but I'd never do one myself. It's even more of a money making scam than Christmas is.

I do and don't lol

Lana got dressed up for nursery, but we don't go trick or treating and no one came to our house, we were out for a couple of hours though haha

We don't usually but there were a lot of kids out this year so I got Lucas dressed up and took him trick or treating, he LOVED it! I love the whole spirit of it, I met neighbours I've never said a word to in the two years I've lived here, it was great.
Lucas takes sweets from strangers all the time :lol: I must live in a friendly town but just yesterday a lady at the shop gave him a big bag of buttons (turned out to be my friend's mum actually, we realised later), then someone over the road saw him playing out with a friend in the afternoon, walked over with a Halloween cupcake each for them. The other week he got given a pot of jelly from the bakery, and last time we were on the train he sidled up to some tourists and started 'sharing' their bag of wine gums.
Thinking about it, he gets offered sweets from randoms a LOT, no wonder he loved trick or treating :haha:

I don't make a big fuss. We carved pumpkins but my LO's don't know what trick or treating is or anything and I didn't encourage it. I don't get them at my door either really, I live in the middle of no where really so there's not many kids about.

When I was a kid my family never celebrated Halloween and I was a bit gutted really because Halloween is great fun. Now i'm older I usually have fun with my OH though we don't answer the door. We usually decorate the living room and have a drink or take away. It makes me a bit sad to think my family never celebrated it with me. Halloween doesn't have to involve trick or treating :)

We don't get trick or treaters where we live and LO is too young to understand it so no we don't do hallowe'en.

We did a halloween party, and I like the dress up thing.

But I hate trick or treating, kids begging for sweet at my door is rude IMO. I just hate the hassle of it and my kids and there wondering why I'm giving sweets to other children and they are not allowed it. Lol

But as for the dress up bit I do enjoy it, I've done things lie, going to a supposed haunted house on halloween for a tour and stuff before which is different. So halloween is fine, but trick or treating I can't stand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->