Anyone else NOT into getting a million scans?

During a previous pregnancy, a scan revealed severe abnormalities with the baby. This is the real reason for ultrasounds during pregnancy.

It irks me somewhat to see people getting so flippant about scans. I know I'm going to have to bite my tongue (so to speak) when I get to 2nd Tri and see people squealing about being excited for their 20 week "gender" scan - it's an anomaly scan.

Yes, I know that makes me sound silly and petty, especially since my situation was a rare one. However I feel that ultrasound scanning is a vital part of antenatal care and we should not abuse it.

During a previous pregnancy, a scan revealed severe abnormalities with the baby. This is the real reason for ultrasounds during pregnancy.

It irks me somewhat to see people getting so flippant about scans. I know I'm going to have to bite my tongue (so to speak) when I get to 2nd Tri and see people squealing about being excited for their 20 week "gender" scan - it's an anomaly scan.

Yes, I know that makes me sound silly and petty, especially since my situation was a rare one. However I feel that ultrasound scanning is a vital part of antenatal care and we should not abuse it.

I have to say that no matter what the purpose of the 20 week scan, when I get to 2nd tri it will be lovely hearing people getting excited about having a scan rather than worrying themselves sick to death about it beforehand like most of us do prior to the 12 week scan. I dont think people are flippant about it I think they are just relieved they have gotten that far in the process and instead of worrying they are trying to enjoy the experience. Im very sorry to read of your previous situation. x

I have to say that no matter what the purpose of the 20 week scan, when I get to 2nd tri it will be lovely hearing people getting excited about having a scan rather than worrying themselves sick to death about it beforehand like most of us do prior to the 12 week scan. I dont think people are flippant about it I think they are just relieved they have gotten that far in the process and instead of worrying they are trying to enjoy the experience. Im very sorry to read of your previous situation. x

Yes, you're probably right and I certainly wouldn't want to rain on anyone's parade. I suppose I've just been jaded by a bad experience.

Interesting discussion.

During my first pg I had an scan at 8wks due to spotting and the 12 and 20 week scans. This pg, thankfully I have not had any spotting but did request an early scan due to my dh's meds are highly toxic and can cause mc. Anyway our local epu refused which was fine. Then I found a trial in London where they are testing the effects emotionally of early 'reassurance' scans with a group of women who have had a number of mc's and with a control group who haven't. This involves scans at 6,8 and 10 weeks plus questionnaires and interviews. Before I went I was just really excited at having the opportunity to see our baby extra times and the reassurance it gives. But after having the first scan (which everything was perfect!) and talking through my feelings towards scans and pregnancy risks, I actually don't feel so reassured. I actually think I feel more stressed. Having seen our pumpkin with it's beating heart doesn't necessarily reduce the risk of mc and I know feel like if something were to happen it would hit me even harder as it is real and I have seen him/her iykwim. Also just because it was ok on a scan on Friday, doesn't mean it is ok today.
So I am not so sure about the value of early scans anymore although I'll see what I think after the next two!

In my opinion - its a personal decision. Neither way is better than the other. There are stuides upon studies out there in medical journals, to support both sides of the dicussion. In my experience, with my first pregnancy I had a totaly of probably 10 scans (shockingi know)!! Lol! I had a very complicated pregnancy and birth...both my son and I almost died. If it weren't for all the tests, the dr's wouldn't have been as prepared, and because of these early scans my son is now a healthy happy active 2yr old! I applaud women who stand by their beliefs in having a natural pregnancy and delivery. But not all of us are able to do this. At the end of the day-you have to weigh the pros and cons of these situations.

Before I went I was just really excited at having the opportunity to see our baby extra times and the reassurance it gives. But after having the first scan (which everything was perfect!) and talking through my feelings towards scans and pregnancy risks, I actually don't feel so reassured. I actually think I feel more stressed. Having seen our pumpkin with it's beating heart doesn't necessarily reduce the risk of mc and I know feel like if something were to happen it would hit me even harder as it is real and I have seen him/her iykwim. Also just because it was ok on a scan on Friday, doesn't mean it is ok today.
So I am not so sure about the value of early scans anymore although I'll see what I think after the next two!
Early scans actually give great clues as to the long-term viability of the pregnancy. There are little hints... for instance, if the heart rate is too slow, or the yolk sac too large, that indicates a likely problem. If you didn't see any of those possible negative signs, then you are VERY likely to have a surviving baby. I do know what you mean, though, because even though I was reassured greatly by my first scan this pg (at 7 weeks), I did start to get scared again about a week afterward. I can tell you that after the next one, and especially after the 12-week, you will feel IMMENSELY better and will really be able to enjoy your pregnancy. It is a WONDERFUL feeling, after having been through so many mc's, to actually be able to be excited and ecstatic and totally at peace with being pregnant! I never would have had that peace of mind without the 12-week scan in particular. It really makes a world of difference... you'll see! :flower:

hi susie.
am totally with you on this.

in fact like you I wanted no scans at all, however I had some early bleeding and before I could say yes/no I was being scanned to rule out an ectopic. Now I've been told I need to have second one done, all this before 8 weeks. I am strongly considering cancelling it because they've caused me more stress and worry.

yes scans have their rightful place in detecting issues and certainly can save lives but as you say it should be employed wisely and with circumspection.

this may sound silly and I don't judge anyone but I'm not convinced about the safety of ultrasound. Fact in point is that it also took more than 50yrs for the medical profession to admit that Xrays were not safe in pregnancy.
ultrasound uses high frequency sound waves to bounce off reflections, these cause intense heat and cavitations.

wishing you all the best, am almost jealous that you're going scan free. :thumbup:Hoping to have a midwife led homebirth as well, God willing.

I spotted for nearly 5 weeks and have had 3 u/s. I definitely wanted and needed the reassurance as they also found a subchorionic hematoma. I also agreed to the 12 week NT scan and blood tests. I'm only 29 and healthy, but if I am carrying a special needs child, I want to know and prepare. Also I would rather find out sooner than later if I was carrying a child whose condition was "incompatible with life"

Regarding the birth I do want to go natural and with very little intervention although I will be giving birth at the hospital. Home births are not easy to do here. I like my medical network and so far I'm happy with my OB. I would like to ideally not have any medication during the birth and try as hard as I can to do it on my own......

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->