Anyone else NOT into getting a million scans?

MountainDoula

Reaction score
Hey ladies,

I'm just wondering if anyone is on the same boat as me as far as scans go. I'm still not sure if I even want one at all. So far, what I'm reading indicates that there is little research on the safetly of ultrasounds, sonagrams, and dopplers. For me, it is important to have trust in my body and my innate ability as a woman to grow a baby. I'm really trying to have the least amount of medical intervention as possible, because pregnancy is not a medical condition. It's a natural process.

I am by no means judging anyone that is taking a more medical path in their pregnancy. I am just wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me and wants to talk research.

Best,

Susie

I turned down the first trimester scans and extra genetic testing. The doc suggested doing a 20 week ultrasound. I said we would cross that bridge after the first trimester. I have been having some spotting, so it would be nice to have that reasurance, but for now just letting this happen as it has for hundreds of years.

I am taking a medical approach with this pregnancy as I did with my last one...however I completely respect what you are saying!!! I agree that its a natural process...women have been doing this for hundreds of years! I too, am declining any genetic testing...if I have a baby with downs or something else...I will love the baby regardless. My doctor is a little surprised by that. I guess everyone now a days wants answers right away. I am going for an u/s at 11 weeks, due to my past history of my complicated pregnancy with my son...but I think that will be it for u/s's. Anyways best of luck to you...I think your approach is admirable!!!

https://gentlebirth.org/archives/screen.html

Here's a good article I just read. It's about a woman that had scan after scan insist that her baby had a clubfoot, and baby came out with two perfectly normal feet. Towards the end of the article she goes over a few studies and reiterates that clinical studies have shown no benefit of scanning during a normal pregnancy.

I am taking a medical approach with this pregnancy as I did with my last one...however I completely respect what you are saying!!! I agree that its a natural process...women have been doing this for hundreds of years! I too, am declining any genetic testing...if I have a baby with downs or something else...I will love the baby regardless. My doctor is a little surprised by that. I guess everyone now a days wants answers right away. I am going for an u/s at 11 weeks, due to my past history of my complicated pregnancy with my son...but I think that will be it for u/s's. Anyways best of luck to you...I think your approach is admirable!!!

Doesn't it blow you away how doctors are so shocked when you don't want to take their precious test!?

If I had any reason to believe my pregnancy could be complicated, I would be taking a more medical approach too. But so far, my midwife says that there is no reason to think so. Best to you! :)

I'm kinda in the same boat...we got an ultrasound at 6-7 weeks, to make sure everything was ok because I had some spotting about the time I got pregnant..we declined the genetic testing for stuff like Downs, because even if there was something 'wrong', we would still keep him/her. I'm trying to keep my scans minimal, not only for the reasons you are talking about, but insurance doesn't cover but 2:p We are getting one at 20 to check on everything, and possibly one more if we need it. :) I would love to have a midwife and homebirth with our next baby, but we live in a duplex, so until we get our own house, its the hospital for us:flower: My mom had 4 kids in a hospital, and 6 homebirths, and loved the midwife homebirths much more.

I agree with you... however... we live very close to one of the top children's hospitals/research facilities in the world for children under 18 so I've decided to donate our bodies to science... I've been poked and prodded more times than I can track and hopefully we'll help make a difference to someone down the line.

I am under consultant led care and will have a total of 7 ultrasounds by the time I reach 32 weeks. Ordinarily I would agree with you that this is excessive, but it may save the baby's life if it picks up that the placenta is going wrong and the baby needs to be delivered early.

When I see people talking about getting scans at 5-6 weeks for no apparent medical reason I think it is nuts. I also think it is a way for the health profession in their country to make a lot of extra money out of pregnant women by charging them for stuff they don't need. Same with the hcg monitoring - unless you have a threatened ectopic or early miscarriage, you don't need it.

For a normal pregnancy, I think the 12 and 20 week scans are adequate. 12 weeks to check it isn't multiples and to confirm your due date, and check that it isn't a missed miscarriage. 20 weeks to check for major abnormalities. That should be quite enough.

women have been having babies since the beginning of time. But thanks to the invention of medical technology, the rates of still birth and neonatal death has come a long way down. Some of this may be due to access to ultrasound to diagnose serious problems.

I'll be having the routine scans but don't feel the need to have any more. I understand your views about pregnancy being natural etc., but can I ask if you're extending that viewpoint to all aspects of pregnancy and giving birth? You won't be having medical attention during birth? I don't mean interference, just any attention whatsoever? Ultrasounds have been around for decades now and there's nothing to pinpoint that they're unsafe in anyway.

I just think we're lucky to have all these safety nets in the developed world, and they're all designed to keep us and our babies safe. There's some countries where medical attention is rare, or even banned for women by the government in some countries, and 50% of women die because of complications in pregnancy and childbirth. In the west women and babies used to die routinely.

There is no evidence of harm to babies from ultrasound. I do understand your feelings however. Some women however gain reassurance from medical involvement :)

I'm getting the normal scans, but will not be having any additional testing at all, and none of those new fancy smancy scans.

I will also refuse all the diagnostic tests, as I have in every other pregnancy.

I fully intended to have a natural water birth with no painkillers with my first but I ended up getting induced, labouring for days with no success and an emergency c section, so I've succumbed to the doctors now as I had no choice.

I hope you have a healthy, natural pregnancy and birth. I take my hat off to you on the no scans though, I'm far too nosy to refuse those :)

I'll be having the routine scans but don't feel the need to have any more. I understand your views about pregnancy being natural etc., but can I ask if you're extending that viewpoint to all aspects of pregnancy and giving birth? You won't be having medical attention during birth? I don't mean interference, just any attention whatsoever? Ultrasounds have been around for decades now and there's nothing to pinpoint that they're unsafe in anyway.

I just think we're lucky to have all these safety nets in the developed world, and they're all designed to keep us and our babies safe. There's some countries where medical attention is rare, or even banned for women by the government in some countries, and 50% of women die because of complications in pregnancy and childbirth. In the west women and babies used to die routinely.

I do understand that if there is a reason to be concerned with a particular pregnancy, it is great that we have this technology available. My concern is with the overuse of it. I know that ultrasounds have been around for years, but there is also not much evidence that they are safe either. They have kind of just become a doctor's "go to". There are many things that can be monitored hands on as opposed to being monitored with machines. I just think it is important to do our own research on all of these interventions because our bodies and our babies belong to us.

As far as my birth goes, I plan on having a water birth at home with my midwife. I'm not saying I want no medical attention at all, as a midwife is medically trained, of course, I just want the least intervention as possible. That's just me personally though. I do respect everyone's decision to do whatever they want with their pregnancy and birth. I just created this thread to see if I could make some friends that are in the same mindset as me.

:)

I have a tonnnn of respect for you as I wanted the least amount of intervention but I being one of many who have had 4 m/c's have to have the intervention and my age I have to be monitored closely.As for medical testing I am the same I refuse many tests due to the fact it won't change how I feel about my children. At this time i have 4 special needs children and didn't know until after they were born but even if I would have known it still would have changed nothing for me. I love all my kids just the way they are. It can be rough at times but who says life is easy anyway. Also, I have chosen to take meds so I don't get sick all day although in other pregnancies have taken nothing but this seems to be the worst and in order for me to function with younger children from day to day it does take meds to help me function. Sorry about the lengthy post but I wanted to let you know I really respect what you are doing and congratulations and I do hope you have a wonderful birth :) I have always wanted to know what a water birth would be like:)

A scan at 6 weeks can rule out an ectopic pregnancy which can save a woman's life. I don't think scans at 6 weeks are pointless. But I wish I had enough faith in my body. After my miscarriage, I pretty much doubt everything.

i'm with you - not only am I worried about the potential impact of so many scans, but they are SO FREAKING expensive even with my maternity insurance! I'm actually going probably cancel my 12 week appointment because my doc seems scan happy and I can't afford another pointless $250 scan.

I do understand that if there is a reason to be concerned with a particular pregnancy, it is great that we have this technology available. My concern is with the overuse of it. I know that ultrasounds have been around for years, but there is also not much evidence that they are safe either. They have kind of just become a doctor's "go to". There are many things that can be monitored hands on as opposed to being monitored with machines. I just think it is important to do our own research on all of these interventions because our bodies and our babies belong to us.

As far as my birth goes, I plan on having a water birth at home with my midwife. I'm not saying I want no medical attention at all, as a midwife is medically trained, of course, I just want the least intervention as possible. That's just me personally though. I do respect everyone's decision to do whatever they want with their pregnancy and birth. I just created this thread to see if I could make some friends that are in the same mindset as me.

So jealous you can do at home birth. I really wanted one too but its ILLEGAL in my state to have a certified midwife present at a home birth :( Sad face.

So I'm definitely in the 'same mindset' as you. Funny (sad) story - my doc did blood work at at 8 weeks, I tested positive for Strep B. I don't even know why she tested me so early because no one else does. Anyway, she gives me a script for 2000 mg of antibotics for 7 days... in my first trimester. I was like, you have to be kidding me! Then I go home and read that even the CDC doesn't recommend treating Strep B before labor because you'll just reinfect yourself. Thus - do your own research and don't do something just because your doctor says so.

There's no actual hard evidence to suggest that a scan poses a risk to pregnancies. I would imagine that refusing to have any scans would probably put a woman at more risk than having a scan would... like another poster said, a womans life could be lost of she didnt have a scan to show it was an ectopic pregnancy. Or someone carrying multiples without knowing could have serious complications etc etc. Im sure the list is probably endless :thumbup:

I went in to my dr last week just to get nausea meds...she pulled out the ultrasound right then and there! I said no, I was only 6+5 and I wasn't having any abnormal cramping, so it wasn't necessary. I'll probably get 2 scans (no more) throughout my pregnancy, but I certainly respect your decision not to get any!

I will feel more comfortable having some medical supervision for this pregnancy because I have a BMI of 30 and am worried about GD. I'm also concerned because I have a kidney disorder. However, if I find that everything is going well and I can afford it, I fully plan on having a home water birth.

I do respect everyone's decision to do whatever they want with their pregnancy and birth. I just created this thread to see if I could make some friends that are in the same mindset as me.

I'll bite :)
I am in the same mindset as you but don't quite have the confidence to pull it all off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->