anyone else sick of people trying to stick their oar in with baby names????

sueh81

Mummy to 1 & 1 on the way
Reaction score
Since we found out we're having a girl we've got the name down to 4 possibilities (Georgina, Bethany, Charlie or Sydney) and when people ask me what we've decided and I tell them it really really really pisses me off when they go or why don't you call it ... blah...blah...blah

My MIL was really pissing me off the other day I could basically tell she didn't like any of them names coz she was trying to think of every other name under the sun, most of them she came out with had gone out with the arc and no matter how many times I said we're not deciding until she's born (trying to sound polite) she still kept babbling on and on and on!!

I ended up getting up and walking out!!!

I had this same exact issue. It was driving me crazy. I really don't understand why people think they have the right to interject their opinion on someone ELSE'S baby's name. Whether they like the name or not, they are not the one carrying, and birthing the baby.... so long story short... tough shit for them!

I was going through this with my MIL as well. I told hubby it was bothering me, so we both decided that we will no longer be sharing our baby name ideas with anyone, and that her name will be announced at the hospital after the birth.

Yesssss!!! I'm sick to death of it!! (sorry I'm tri-hopping)

I have my girls name picked out, still choosing boys names atm.

Every time I see my mom she starts on about how "you can't have a traditional name (Joshua) with a fashion name (Alexis)" & refuses to listen to how we're not changing it!

Really really annoying.

I'm so glad i'm not the only one who feels p*ssed off by it!! I was sitting there thinking hello... who's baby is it????? Oh god and when she phoned my hubby the other night she asked him if we'd given anymore thought into baby names!!!

Ggggrrrrrrrrrr I could strangle the woman!!!

My hubby and I have had our names picked out for the last 10 years.... we just announced over the weekend and our family all asked what the names were. Some of them liked either the first or middle for the girl/boy but not both or none of them at all. I just kind of laughed it off and said "well, you're not the one living with them so doesn't really matter" :) In the end, it's what YOU like and decide on... the names will grow on everyone else once your LO is here.

With my first pregnancy we found out the sex but didn't tell anyone for this reason as far as everyone was concerned we didn't know the sec so we didn't have this hassle and by the time they found out we had announced the name so it was tough !

Will be doing the same with this one

You could say that you have decided but everyone will have to wait until the birth before you announce it

With my first pregnancy we found out the sex but didn't tell anyone for this reason as far as everyone was concerned we didn't know the sec so we didn't have this hassle and by the time they found out we had announced the name so it was tough !

Will be doing the same with this one

You could say that you have decided but everyone will have to wait until the birth before you announce it

yeah that's a great idea!!! thanks! :thumbup:

My mil goes one further. She is referring to the baby by the name that she has picked... "So how is little Giselle going?" :huh:

I find it terribly annoying.

In my situation the name suggestions from family aren't coming from a negative place, its a fun and loving nature. So I politely play along knowing that I like our choice for our baby much better than any I have heard from family and friends.

I suppose I am working to pick my battles. Knowing that the name they suggest isn't going to be the "one" I rather wait for feathers to be ruffled on a possible future issue.

I dont think I would like my bump being called a name we havent picked thats for sure!

My mil goes one further. She is referring to the baby by the name that she has picked... "So how is little Giselle going?" :huh:

wtf!!!! i'd be pulling my hair out if mine started doing that - or hers - or worse maybe her eyeballs hahaha!!! (i'm not really a violent person lol!!! :haha:)

Yes i had it when i was pregnant with my DS my mum and my sister would sit and laugh hysterically at every name i chose and say awful things. For this reason, when i got pregnant with DD I didn't tell anyone the name we had chosen until she was here and we had already named her. That way nobody could say anything. I will be doing the same this time too. When people asked me with DD if we had decided on a name I just said no, we're waiting until she's born!

Yes i had it when i was pregnant with my DS my mum and my sister would sit and laugh hysterically at every name i chose and say awful things. For this reason, when i got pregnant with DD I didn't tell anyone the name we had chosen until she was here and we had already named her. That way nobody could say anything. I will be doing the same this time too. When people asked me with DD if we had decided on a name I just said no, we're waiting until she's born!

its very insulting isn't it when you've thought very hard about name choices and people go and laugh in your face about them!! Bet they don't imagine what if would feel like if the shoe was on the other foot!!!! x

My mom was the worst for this. My MIL kept her mouth shut until after we had DD, then said "She looks like an Abby" then told us after we named her she wasn't in love with the other name.. My mom on the other hand hates everything she doesn't choose, so would tell me how much she hated them, everyone else would hate them, and think of the stupidest nicknames possible for the names.. Then she would suggest names that that were either Horrible or we couldn't use. She wanted the name Lily, which I actually LOVE, but its our good friends daughters name and we see them often enough for it to be weird She kept telling me it was a stupid reason not to use it because she loved it and who cares if they hang out with the same name. But we liked a name that was a letter off from a girl she didn't like 30 years ago, and that should of been enough to stop me from using it though (?) :dohh:

I have the same issue even though me and dh have yet to get pregnant. My poor sister had to deal with this though. She wanted to name her son after her dad. No one liked her dad so they all talked badly about her name choice. I personally loved the first name (Connor) but not the second (Ray, after her dad). I am not saying I do not like Ray because of her dad, I am just not a fan of the name Ray thats all. But I didnt tell her that. But now that Connor is no longer a baby my parents ask when me and dh will have kids and what names we have picked out. So of course I said Marek William (After my dad, middle name) and we didnt say the girl cause we hadnt chose it yet. My mom flipped her freakin lid. She HATED Marek. And said using my dads middle name as an insult. I told her who gives a f***. It will be our kid. Not yours. You want to name a kid Jason then have your own. Lol she was mad. But I think Im going to take the idea a pp said and not tell anyone anything until its too late for them to give their oppinions. Because I know MIL will e.e

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->