Anyone ever suffered with depression?

familygirl30

Reaction score
Hi ladies,I had it about 4 years ago and was on medication for a year,it was triggered because I had just got over a illness.Anyway for the past couple of days I've felt really down in the dumps,my hubby got a new job where doin lots of hours and sometimes has to work away.I know feeling like this could be pregnancy hormones,but I'm worried incase I'm starting with depression again,and scared how me been upset will affect my baby.Any of u ladies ever had depression and happened again during your pregnancy?

I had depression in 2010-2011, well thats when it was at its worst. that included anxiety issues and also panic attacks when going out of the house. I haven't got it back during pregnancy, i dont think. however, i would say that I do have my really down days where I feel like I did back then, questioning my parenting skills, if I'll be good enough, I've even said to OH that i should just give birth and hand her over to him because i'll be useless. of course when I think about it, it seems silly that i think those things sometimes, but i can't help it. even OH asked yesterday how I feel about postnatal depression and asked if i think i'll get it. I honestly don't know if I will, but I was honest with him and said it is a possiblilty considering my past.

I find that I feel like this the most on days where I see little of OH and spend time alone, I would suggest going for walks, having date nights might be nice, and even spending time painting your nails and pampering yourself if youre alone! thats what I do, and it does help me feel better. :hugs:

Thank u for the reply,think I will keep an eye on it and I see midwife tues so will mention it to her if I'm still feeling the same,I'm hoping its just my pregnancy hormones,I'm going to go a little walk later too and get some fresh air,might do me good.

hormones can be crazy at times! just think about all the pregnant women that cry for no reason and don't know why :haha: I'm sure the midwife will be able to give advice and will be able to support you for the rest of your pregnancy, just remember that you aren't hurting your baby, don't feel bad about that at all. and if you do find it gets worse and you can always speak to someone like a councellor (sp?), then you dont have to worry about medication and possible effects to baby. :thumbup:

Yeah fingers crossed its just the hormones!When my hubby got this new job i thought would see him more but not been the case so don't think this helps matters,and I guess I'm feeling a bit lonely at times.Thank u for the good advice x

I'm just glad for this forum so I can talk about it,I feel sometimes that people just think I'm moaning,but I'm just feeling down and need to talk about it

Ive had depression since I was 19 im now 31. During the time I found out I was pregnant I was very low. Things were really hard and it continued for a fair few weeks. So much so I thought id end up divorced after only 18 months of marriage. I wasnt taking care of my self eating properly or sleeping. It was truly one of the worst bouts of depression ive had. It was only my little wigglebum that kept me alive. Becoz it gpt so bad I have remained on my tablets.
Now life is much more stable but during this week I have felt a bit low n lonely and I know its hormones that dont help.
If u feel low please make sure u talk to ur gp or someone who can help. Depression is very common during pregnancy wether or not u have had it before. I promise talking really does help take care.

I also know what u mean about ur hubbies new job. Mine got a promotion not long after I found out I was pregnant and at the time we thought it would be great with the extra money etc but hes never home on time now and works late practically every night now because he's in charge of a team he has to make sure everything is done at the end of the day and im sat here waiting for him to get home feeling like he'd rather be at work. Feeling lonely. Feels a bit like groundhog day sometimes

Thank u for the reply,I will see how I am and if carry on feeling like this will talk to my gp yes,I'm hoping its just one of them weeks where I'm feeling hormonal,I think also I could do with a weekend away just me and hubby,we going to stay with his parents next weekend but not the same is it.We used to get to go away quite a bit but obviously now we need to spend on baby things,but this is the time I need a break.I know what you mean it can get lonely when our OH work late etc

I have had post natal depression but went undiagnosed until baby was two and was at such a low point when he reached five we were staying in a mother and baby unit with no hope of being housed my partner and I had split and was i finding it really hard to get myself better one thig led to another and my son was removed from my care to my mums house I got to see him for an hour missed his first day of school because I was not allowed to take him and basically this gave me the kick I needed to get better I fought for 8 months with social services and got my son back got a house and me and my partner have been god and strong for 3 years after a year break so all is good as we have our beautiful girl on the way but my biggest fear is getting depression again as I have been well for a good while and it doesn't sneak up on you it damn smacks you in the face. My advice would be talk to the midwife and do things to keep you busy or just walk it helps and if you feel at any point something is t right go to the doctor x hope all goes well for you xxx

I suffered severely with depression from the age of 12 to about 16. I had years of therapy and psychiatrists and two different types of pills. I'm fine now but I asked my midwife if this ups my chances of post natal depression and she said yes and that she's glad I made her aware of my history with it. She's written it in my notes I think and I'm glad that she's aware now.
Luckily I've been feeling pretty happy the entire way through this pregnancy and have only had maybe the odd down day.

Thanks ladies,my midwife jotted it down in my history,just hope its me having a hormonal few days,I'm so happy about this baby and I have a fab husband so don't know why feeling likethis

I thought I was having post partum depression after my last baby, but when I went to my therapist she told me it was actually depression triggered by my grandmothers death a week before my baby was born, with life and death occurring so close together I couldn't cope, and I couldnt attend the funeral. I didn't medicate, but it definitely affected the baby, she was colicky for 6 months and the doc said it was maybe due to my mood and behavior. Newborns feed off their moms emotions and it took me a long time to come to terms with everything.

Interesting to know.
I'm going to try and stay as happy and positive as I can in the last weeks. See what difference it makes. Though I have no previous babies to compare it to.

I'm just glad for this forum so I can talk about it,I feel sometimes that people just think I'm moaning,but I'm just feeling down and need to talk about it

I know how you feel. I feel so upset about everything I feel like people just look at me and I start crying. Sometimes I think I feel better after I just let it all out and talk about it. It's scary when you feel so lonely and sad but I know it's just me and in my head. Once the baby is here I can get back on my medication and feel better. Hope you feel better soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->