Anyone experience velamentous or marginal cord insertions, specifically with twins?

mel28nicole

Reaction score
My anatomy scan went well for the most part, except we have cord insertion issues with both babies. Baby A is a marginal cord insertion, meaning it’s inserting more to the left rather than in the middle. And Baby is velamentous cord insertion meaning it’s going through the membranes and then into the baby more towards the left. I’m gonna have to be closely monitored with growth, which was gonna happen anyway due to having twins. But both have great growth right now, A is 14oz and B is 10oz. It’s really nerve wracking but I’m hoping everything goes well. I’m hoping we don’t need to schedule a csection sooner than we want to, this type of insertion is a risk for rupture if I weee to go into labor. But I was already planning a csection as I want my tubes tied. Anyone have a similar experience?

I didn’t have it with twins but I did have a marginal cord insertion with my last baby. It wasn’t discovered until after he was born. During the third stage of labour they were doing cord traction and it avulsed (snapped/broke) and I ended up having to go in for surgery to get the placenta out. I came close to a blood transfusion but it ended being fine.
My son was born quite small at 5lbs 3oz full term. He was healthy but looked starved. So I’m glad it was discovered early for you. I probably would have been induced earlier (I had him spontaneously at 39+2) if they had discovered it on ultrasounds before. So yes, it can cause problems but you are in the best position possible by knowing you need to be monitored.

Singleton, but I had a velamentous cord with Kate. She was nearly 7 pounds at 2.5 weeks early, which is pretty standard for the babies I've had. They kept an eye on things during the pregnancy, and they were very cautious about decels during labor, but that was pretty much it. I delivered with no real complications, and what I did have was due to rapid dilation that caused a long decel (nearly got an emergency c-setion for that) and then a fast delivery, which left Kate a little jittery.

It won't help the worry much, but you and the twins will have more monitoring that we did, so try not to let it get to you too much.

They showed me the cord when I delivered the placenta - the place where it inserted into the membrane did look really strange!

Thanks ladies! I’m hoping to learn more at my next appointment. Google is a terrible thing lol. Always worst case scenarios on there

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->