Anyone following the Facebook page justice for lucie?

I heard about this, one of my friends has twins (2 sets of twins in fact) and read this story through her. Its very sad. Its easy for people to sit here with their healthy children and say what they would have done in that situation. I wonder if people are so judgemental of me. My daughter had Meningitis, I didnt know she was so poorly. Children can go from being ok, to not ok in a very short space of time, especially if its something like infection/septicaemia.

I feel like i am being misunderstood here, so much so i am for the first time ever tempted to remove my comments.
I am simply saying, i do not think the receptionist is purely at fault. The system is more so because it needs a better way of working out who needs to be seen and when.
As for what i said about calling an ambulance, i am simply just trying to say, i have been in this situation, i didn't trust the receptionist in the slightest and called an ambulance. Parents in the UK need to be better informed that receptionists have NO medical training and their opinions should not be trusted in the slightest.

I heard about this, one of my friends has twins (2 sets of twins in fact) and read this story through her. Its very sad. Its easy for people to sit here with their healthy children and say what they would have done in that situation. I wonder if people are so judgemental of me. My daughter had Meningitis, I didnt know she was so poorly. Children can go from being ok, to not ok in a very short space of time, especially if its something like infection/septicaemia.

My son has a heart condition.

My son has a heart condition.

I'm aware of that.

I feel like i am being misunderstood here, so much so i am for the first time ever tempted to remove my comments.
I am simply saying, i do not think the receptionist is purely at fault. The system is more so because it needs a better way of working out who needs to be seen and when.
As for what i said about calling an ambulance, i am simply just trying to say, i have been in this situation, i didn't trust the receptionist in the slightest and called an ambulance. Parents in the UK need to be better informed that receptionists have NO medical training and their opinions should not be trusted in the slightest.

I was not posting to you, i was speaking in general..

Don't remove your comments. It's a news and debates section. We are debating what we would have done and we think that parents in the UK need to be better informed about their healthcare system :shrug: I see this type of thing happen far too often.

My MIL went to the doctor in the few months before she passed complaining of facial swelling. She was told repeatedly that it was an allergic reaction and given medication. She believed them and took the medication. Turns out, no one bothered to think that her cancer had maybe relapsed until it was too late. She passed away.

I hate to say, posting that you hate people judging these parents after several people post opinions about what they would have done sure does look like you are referring to them. :flower:

When Evelyn was about 7 months old, she was really poorly, i called a Dr out, he dismissed it as an virus. The next morning was worse. I took her to A&E. Croup. Her oxygen levels were low and she needed steroids.

Like i said earlier, just before Ivy was born, Evelyn was poorly again, dismissed by a receptionist and with my daughter deteroating, i dialed 999.

GPs can get it wrong, receptionists have no business diagnosing. This case proves that.

Ozzie you are right. I am going to stand my ground here. I understand that the parents would be upset by what they perhaps read but then maybe this shouldn't have been placed in here.

I hate to say, posting that you hate people judging these parents after several people post opinions about what they would have done sure does look like you are referring to them. :flower:

Oh please, every time i post something you say something to me, you post opinions all the time that I mostly do NOT agree with, I never say a word to you or rarely do i quote you. I have the right to say people should not judge, I didn't quote anyone or mention anyone by user name, so please stop , GeeZ :flower:

It's like the receptionist that told me my son didn't need an appointment when he was wheezing. I told her that he DID need one and she WOULD schedule me or I would go to A&E.

Oh please, every time i post something you say something to me, you post opinions all the time that I mostly do NOT agree with, I never say a word to you or rarely do i quote you. I have the right to say people should not judge, I didn't quote anyone or mention anyone by user name, so please stop , GeeZ :flower:

This is a news and debates section. I don't know what caused you to hate me all of a sudden :shrug: But there is an ignore fuction. Perhaps you should make use of it. :thumbup:

When Evelyn was about 7 months old, she was really poorly, i called a Dr out, he dismissed it as an virus. The next morning was worse. I took her to A&E. Croup. Her oxygen levels were low and she needed steroids.

Like i said earlier, just before Ivy was born, Evelyn was poorly again, dismissed by a receptionist and with my daughter deteroating, i dialed 999.

GPs can get it wrong, receptionists have no business diagnosing. This case proves that.

Ozzie you are right. I am going to stand my ground here. I understand that the parents would be upset by what they perhaps read but then maybe this shouldn't have been placed in here.

You have every right to your opinion and should always stand your ground and I do agree with you about the receptionist, my comment was in general and that is just how I feel :flower:

This is a news and debates section. I don't know what caused you to hate me all of a sudden :shrug: But there is an ignore fuction. Perhaps you should make use of it. :thumbup:

I DO NOT hate you, but you are taking my post out of context , I am aloud also to say what I feel and I have already explained it was a general comment, and you keep going on and on, that is all I am saying./ and i don't hate anyone..

What would have stopped the receptionist calling through to the gp though, to say that the parent was very concerned, and got her seen sooner? Receptionists do have training - evidently not enough.

What would have stopped the receptionist calling through to the gp though, to say that the parent was very concerned, and got her seen sooner? Receptionists do have training - evidently not enough.

In my experience, receptionists that work in medical offices think that they do know a bit about medical diagnosis. Sometimes, a parent has to take charge and advocate for their child. It stinks that people think they can't or are too afraid to make a scene for fear that they are being told they are overreacting.

Receptionists on powertrips?
It seems to be pretty common that they think they are doctors just because they work there.
But then i'd say long waiting times, a massive influx of patients and pressure to reduce unneeded appointments causing real cases to be overlooked.

Some just aren't following protocol either. I'm not sure what the case would have been in this situation, or if it differs from area to area- but they didn't follow it when I was pregnant with Alfie. I made 10 phonecalls int he space of 6 days to try and get an appt. I explained i was worried, i was due an appt and that i was high risk and had a previous nnd, but they said they were fully booked. They didn't follow the protocol- i should have been added on to the end of the m/w appt list or been booked in to see a gp- i didnt know this until after he died. I also explored other avenues (rang clinic, left messages on m/w mobile etc). Hindsight is a fabulous thing. I'm sure if those parents knew she was going to die they'd have rushed her to hospital in the first instance. My heart goes out to them all, regardless of who was to 'blame' a little girl is no longer here, and her death will effect her family and friends for a long, long time. I hope they get some answers as to why she died.

This is a really sad story, looks to me like the parents have placed to much trust in a receptionist, I would have called an ambulance. But thats just me, its sad to see the worst outcome has happened here. Go with your gut if you feel your child is in danger go to A&E, way to important to trust a receptionist with. I find that off my own surgery they tend to think they are doctors, same with pharmacists.

This is a very sad story and I feel for the little girl and her family but I do not think the receptionist is totally to 'blame' for this. The mother could see that her child was having difficulty breathing by her lips going blue. She sat there for a further hour and 10 minutes. Why didn't she call an ambulance? If I was in a doctors surgery waiting to see a doctor and my child's lips started going blue etc I would not want them to be seen by a GP as they have limited rescources in the surgery. I would take this as a sign she needs hospital treatment. I would dial 999 to ensure she received medical attention and quickly. Why did the mother not do this? Why did she just sit and wait? x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->