Anyone get flack at their workplace?

puffers121

Reaction score
I'm feeling frustrated. I work in a classroom where 2 classrooms share a kitchen that we use everyday for various things. One week we each have a day we clean the kitchen and then alternate weeks with the other classroom staff. ANYWAY, my turn was yesterday and all the cleaner they had was clorox wipes, which A. I don't use at home, we use vinegar and water or peroxide wipes and B. Make me nauseous to smell and C. I am trying to avoid using for health of baby. Anyway, so since it was my turn I was opting to just wipe with wet paper towels (it wasn't that dirty anyway) and I got scolded for not using Clorox by a woman who also had a baby in the last year... Another staff member kindly jumped in to clean the table and took care of putting up all 20 chairs too. Then, this morning, the same one who scolded me was asking whether it was because I was pregnant or what and just seemed so judgmental about it. I was really sad and just trying to do what's best for the baby. She said not using clorox wasn't going to fly. I offered to bring in my own cleaning solutions next time and that seemed to be a compromise.

Anyone dealing with people not understanding at work?? I'm also feeling the eye rolls every time I have to use the restroom, which is literally every 25 minutes. :( I'm only 7 weeks and don't feel like it's a supportive environment. I'm so frustrated and hormonally sad too. On plus side, two of my coworkers have been great.

Wow. No, most women at my job are mom's themselves and actually give me s* for not taking it easy lol. But maaaaan I would have ripped her a new one! Like ok please come with me to the site union rep and explain why I need to endanger my unborn child and work in a hostile work environment to please you. Get out. She's probably just mad about something else and taking it out on you. Sorry love

Yeah, I was trying to be positive about it and was saying how I didn't really even like using clorox wipes before either and now I'm just hyper vigilant to give my baby the best chance he/she can.
It's already a physically hostile environment with some aggressive kids, but staff has been doing well to protect me and not have me restrain any kids. I'm nervous about staying there, but one of our biggest aggressors is going to another school next year.

Anyhow, I'm just staying until December I think, so just making the best of it til then. I will be a stay at home mom. I'm trying to keep that thought in mind as I get criticized for this and that. I work with some really strong personalities and I'm more of a soft spoken, quiet one, so it just feels harder now that i'm pregnant and extra emotional too. I feel misunderstood with this pregnancy so far.

Just curious, do you work in an SDC classroom or just have rowdy kiddos? I'm glad your other coworkers havd your back. Don't let the criticism get to you. Haters gonna hate. And yay! Congrats on impending SAHMhood! That's exciting!

I know this isn't ideal, but maybe you could buy some Nylon gloves and use the disinfectant wipes? I know inhaling the smell isn't good for your health, and I see that she smell makes you ill, but at least you wouldn't be absorbing the chemicals...

Otherwise, I'd make/bring my own wipes. Seventh Generation contain lemongrass, which isn't good for pregnancy... If you decide to buy some, just look into the ingredients. Personally, I'd make my own wipes by cutting a roll of Viva paper towels in half (I use a bread knife) and stuffing into a Clorox wipe container (I do this, but I have a club size Clorox wipe container that I use for it). Add a cup of distilled water (so it lasts longer; if you're gonna go through it in less than a month, you can just use tap water) and about 2 tsp of dish soap or castile soap. I'd add some lemon essential oils for scent and extra disinfectant power and some scent. After it's soaked for a little while, you can pull out the cardboard inside and pull wipes right out from the inside just like you would the Clorox wipes. You could just keep them in a gallon sized storage bag, too, but it'd be more obvious that you're not using the Clorox product than if you were to just keep your own Clorox wipes in your bag (or what have you). It MIGHT be enough to shut them up, if they see you pulling wipes out of the container and using them. I did a quick re-read, and I'm glad that your coworker who wants to give you grief seems okay with you using your own product. Maybe my recipe can make you both happy (and keep your baby safe!). :)

Personally, I would just put on some gloves and use the wipes. There's very little actual bleach in them anyway. But if you don't feel comfortable with that, why not sit down and speak to someone and say that you aren't able to use those while pregnant for whatever reason and that you'd like to still help out and ask if someone else can just wipe it down after you clean it. I don't think it's fair to everyone else to not have it done up to the standard it's supposed to be done at as they probably have strict hygiene rules in schools to protect the kids, but at the same time, if they want it done that way, they also have to make accommodations for you while you're pregnant. You might just need to be assertive that you need someone supportive there who would be happy to help for 30 seconds when it's your day.

At my other school I worked at, we just had a dish soap and water spray bottle as it was a pre-k class. However it's part of the same public school system and so that spray should also still suffice in our classroom too.
We'll see. I use honest company stuff sometimes too, so may use that.

Yes, I do work with special needs. We just use the kitchen for a brief snack time.

part of it is that all clorox and clorox-like cleaners are giving me bad nausea on top of not desiring to use it too.

It's actually illegal now in ca to use Clorox wipes or even baby wipes in public schools. Your custodian is supposed to mix a solution for you and use paper towels. Nobody does it though. My old custodian at Palo Alto did but that's PA. I agree baby wipes is the way to go. And if she gives you that much s* put them in a cleaned out Clorox container :rofl:

Also I'm sorry. But those who don't have KP (kitchen duty) at a public school commenting on the standard really don't get to comment. This is her coworker's personal standard, not a site or district or even state standard of cleanliness. It's not even in our job description. It's just out of courtesy. They can't force her to use any product she is uncomfortable with especially when pregnant. My boss asked me to move rooms and I told her I would prefer not to pack my room at 34 weeks pregnant and then move it 2 weeks post partum to an area of the school I don't even feel safe but I would if I have to. Do you think she has asked since? No. Because you can't force a teacher to do anything ESPECIALLY not a pregnant teacher. Even if it would make everyone else's lives easier.

Anyway my point is. Baby wipes is a good compromise or wipes you are comfortable with. Don't let her bully you into giving up your rights to being happy and healthy at work. And don't let people talk you into using them on this thread. I use Clorox wipes sans gloves or mask to quickly wipe down surfaces at home. But that's my choice and my comfort level. I wouldn't try to impose that on somebody else who clearly doesn't want to do it. It's your pregnancy. Your rules. Don't forget that.

It's actually illegal now in ca to use Clorox wipes or even baby wipes in public schools. Your custodian is supposed to mix a solution for you and use paper towels. Nobody does it though. My old custodian at Palo Alto did but that's PA. I agree baby wipes is the way to go. And if she gives you that much s* put them in a cleaned out Clorox container :rofl:

Also I'm sorry. But those who don't have KP (kitchen duty) at a public school commenting on the standard really don't get to comment. This is her coworker's personal standard, not a site or district or even state standard of cleanliness. It's not even in our job description. It's just out of courtesy. They can't force her to use any product she is uncomfortable with especially when pregnant. My boss asked me to move rooms and I told her I would prefer not to pack my room at 34 weeks pregnant and then move it 2 weeks post partum to an area of the school I don't even feel safe but I would if I have to. Do you think she has asked since? No. Because you can't force a teacher to do anything ESPECIALLY not a pregnant teacher. Even if it would make everyone else's lives easier.

Anyway my point is. Baby wipes is a good compromise or wipes you are comfortable with. Don't let her bully you into giving up your rights to being happy and healthy at work. And don't let people talk you into using them on this thread. I use Clorox wipes sans gloves or mask to quickly wipe down surfaces at home. But that's my choice and my comfort level. I wouldn't try to impose that on somebody else who clearly doesn't want to do it. It's your pregnancy. Your rules. Don't forget that.

Thanks for the support! Yes, We have a spray that is a custodian made mixture, but it's still icky chemicals though not as strong. We rarely use it and others use clorox instead. I'm in agreement that it's not really part of our job description; it's a special needs kitchen but often other staff members come in to use the kitchen and I also don't believe I should have to do another classroom's dishes or clean their messes. We never have dishes, but they do. Anyway, that's off topic lol. Today wasn't too bad; she backed off.
I think baby wipes sounds like a good alternative! I think i'll get some of those soon. The homemade spray too. I'm looking forward to being a stay at home mom though I'll say..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->