Anyone had a 24 hr 'propess' induction?

-i was 12 days overdue
-started contractions at 2 minutes apart 2 hours after it was inserted
-the labour went fine though was 30 hours in total

I also got confused with the propess/pessary thing :lol: i thought they were the same.. i've been calling it a pessary all along, but thinking of it, the packet said 'propess' which was left on the bed! Lol.

To clear things up -

NHS Economic Evaluation Database (NHS EED)

Comparison of Dinoprostone slow release pessary (Propess) with gel (Prostin) for induction of labour at term: a randomised trial
From - https://www.crd.york.ac.uk/CRDWeb/ShowRecord.asp?ID=22009100230

Propess is the pessary. Prostin (6 hr method) was gel xx

I had a propess induction at 38+2 due to gestational hypertension. Had the propess inserted at 5pm on the sunday and was in established labour by 6pm the next day. Painful, b2b contractions but nice, fast labour! (she was born at 9.13pm!) x

I was induced with a propess but mine is not the best example as I was induced early due to obstetric cholestasis and my cervix wasn't really ready so it took 5 days on the ante natal ward in slow labour from the propess being inserted to actually giving birth.

Thanks ladies, I am so glad I posted in here, you've been really helpful :flower:

I had the propess inserted at 40+4 due as I was showing signs of pre eclampsia. The first time it went it wasnt too bad as I didnt really know what to expect and once it was in I didnt even know it was there. The MW told me they will only try the propess twice and if it doesnt work then they move on to the gel. They will also remove the propess if your waters break or if you have more than 3 tightenings within a 10 minute period. I ended up having the propess in 3 times (they removed the 2nd one as they thought I was contracting but the contractions stopped once it was out). Personally, I dont think it had any effect on me at all as I ended up getting the gel which opened my cervix within a few hours. My induction lasted for 4 days and ended in an emergency c section (little man was undiagnosed breech) so it was a bit of a nightmare.

The propess insertion is v uncomfortable but depends on your pain threshold, I was swearing my head off when they put it in but it was over in a few mins, there was a woman on the same ward as me who has to have gas and air whilst they did it. The MW who was looking after me said they are still not 100% comfortable with using them as they are relatively new and very fiddly to insert in comparison to the gel etc.

Hope this helps Minky xx

I had the propess inserted at 40+4 due as I was showing signs of pre eclampsia. The first time it went it wasnt too bad as I didnt really know what to expect and once it was in I didnt even know it was there. The MW told me they will only try the propess twice and if it doesnt work then they move on to the gel. They will also remove the propess if your waters break or if you have more than 3 tightenings within a 10 minute period. I ended up having the propess in 3 times (they removed the 2nd one as they thought I was contracting but the contractions stopped once it was out). Personally, I dont think it had any effect on me at all as I ended up getting the gel which opened my cervix within a few hours. My induction lasted for 4 days and ended in an emergency c section (little man was undiagnosed breech) so it was a bit of a nightmare.

The propess insertion is v uncomfortable but depends on your pain threshold, I was swearing my head off when they put it in but it was over in a few mins, there was a woman on the same ward as me who has to have gas and air whilst they did it. The MW who was looking after me said they are still not 100% comfortable with using them as they are relatively new and very fiddly to insert in comparison to the gel etc.

Hope this helps Minky xx

Thanks chicky. I hear a lot about emergency sections with these things...:dohh:

4 days and an undiagnosed breech? Bloody hell love!! You did have a time of it. I've had a couple of internals and some cervical 'massage' so have a bit of an idea how much insertion might hurt and I shudder at the thought, yet I have 2 more sweeps booked for next week! xx

Hope this helps Minky xx

Thanks chicky. I hear a lot about emergency sections with these things...:dohh:

4 days and an undiagnosed breech? Bloody hell love!! You did have a time of it. I've had a couple of internals and some cervical 'massage' so have a bit of an idea how much insertion might hurt and I shudder at the thought, yet I have 2 more sweeps booked for next week! xx

Yep it was a bit of a nightmare (I will get round to my birth story eventually). I thought all along that he was breech but my dumb ass MW was saying he was 3/5 engaged from about 36 weeks - what the hell do I know its only my body eh? I ended up having 9 internal examinations over 4 days and it was only when they were about to break my waters that the MW on delivery suite realised he wasnt head down! I am just glad he arrived safe and sound!

Good luck with your sweeps, fingers crossed it happens for you naturally xx

I've just posted my birth story with propess. It's a little pessary inside a tampon like thing xx

Hi hun I had a propess at 38 weeks which was a planned induction. Had it put in around 11am and started contracting at about teatime overnight had a show and the contractions kicked in properly. Gave birth to him in the afternoon. x

I was 2 weeks overdue when I had the 24hour propess. It didn't really hurt when they inserted it, i found sweeps more uncomfortable.

It was inserted at 2pm on the monday, i woke in the early hours of tuesday morning with mild back ache, by 4pm on the tuesday contractions were regular and i was rushed over to delivery room at 6pm where i pushed for an hour. very quick labour really especially as it was my first time.

I had the pessary (24 hour). It was inserted at 11am when I was 42 weeks exactly. I started getting very mild contractions every 15 mins at around 8pm and they slowly started to increase over the night. By 10am the next day I was contracting every 7 mins and was 4cm. I went to delivery at 11am and started pushing at 1pm.

It ended in an emergancy section though as she had gone back to back and got stuck lol. I actually found it to be alright. Very straight forward, I found the contractions came on slowly and just how they would of if it had been natural. :)

Hey, I was 2 weeks overdue when I had it, it didn't work so 30hrs later I was put on a drip and gave birth 2 days after having gone in! There is a link to my birth story in the first entry of my journal, link below....

I had a pessary thing not sure what kind it was but she said it was like a tablet thing that they stick up there.
I was 38+1 (was induced due to high blood pressure and fainting around 6pm, went straight to labour ward and was induced) Got the thing in at 9pm, started getting contractions at half 10 and was having to rock and walk around by 12pm, thye elt me get in the bath and i tried to sleep but the pains were getting progressivly worse, by 3 am they were getting really painful, i went back in the bath and when i came out they were horrendous, had my waters broke at 4am and was fully dilated at 7.30 but he wasnt born till 9am (after pushing for 1 hr and 30 mins pulling him out) so around 12 hours after induction!
I thought it was fine, i loved being induced (i was only in extreme pain due to baby being back to back) would love to be induced again

My waters broke at 39+3. I had contractions every 10 minutes from then until 39+6 when they induced due to infection risk (plus I'd had bleeding before they broke). My cervix was softer and thinning out but was closed, high and posterior and I was given a Bishop's Score of 3 (they usually say not to induce with a score below 8 as it is likely to lead to failed induction). Anyway, pessary went in at around 10am and by 1030am I was in full blown, 3-4 contractions in 10 minutes, searing pain in my butt, labour. Things were slow (dilation) and I had to go on the drip later that night and started on gas and air a while later as that did crank up the pain a lot, particularly as I had no waters, but I delivered the following morning (20-odd hours after the pessary, but 72 hours after my waters had broken and about 54 hours from my visit to hospital when they recorded a contraction on their machine so the first 'official contraction' in their eyes), normally and with not even a single graze.

It doesn't have to be all bad. I won't say it wasn't very painful - it was. However, I managed on a tens machine until they put the drip up, and that was in quite difficult circumstances and a long labour to that point already. Be as positive as you can be. :)

Oh and she arrived at 40 weeks exactly!

Thanks again girls!! I'm starting to mentally prepare myself just in case :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->