Anyone had gallbladder removed? UPDATED pain back after GB

julietz

Reaction score
Hi, i had my gallbladder removed on Sunday as an emergency, it was 3 times the size it should of been, and was removed by keyhole, thing is i heard that you should go on a special diet after having it removed and something about b12 vitamin, but where do you get this, im not aware there is a vitamin called b12, advice appreciated :)

Are you in the UK?

If so the your consultant should have given you a sheet about what foods you should avoid.

I'm having mine out on Monday, but I wasn't told anything about B12?

Hi yes im in the uk, my doc didnt give me a sheet, could you share what to avoid, be most appreciated, the gallbladder helps with absorption, which may prevent B12 from being absorbed. i ordered some b12 from holand and barratt and other vitamins to help, i also noticed i been having diarreah since having it removed, i hope it is only temporary maybe im eating something i shouldnt.

If you're still eating fatty foods then yes, your body will most likely not like it very much and will be why you have a bad stomach.

I have no idea where my list has gone but you need to avoid fatty foods, eggs, cut down on dairy.

If you search in google for it, it should come up for you :thumbup:

I've just had a look online and from what I've read it's nothing to do with your gallbladder being removed that affects b12, but it's due to a dietry change after surgery when cutting out things like animal based foods.

Thanks Fay, i also ordered some Choline & Inositol and Soya Lecithin Capsules, with it being the time of year i cant avoid some foods that are meant to be enjoyed over christmas, so thought the vitamins will help over the month, il try search the foods and make changes to my diet after xmas, thanks again, iv read some people are prone to put on weight after having it removed, i dont want to be affected by that. :)

You should have said about the soya lecithin - I have a tonne here from Holland & Barrett that I don't take any more due to rattling like a pharmacy with everything else I take for TTC :haha:

I just had mine out yesterday and I feel totally dreadful.

You should be fine if you stick to smaller portions for the naughty Xmas foods. If you over induldge in them then your body is likely to 'dump' the food and it's exactly how it sounds.

For me I am struggling to eat and I know the weight is going to fall off me :dohh:

Aw i hope you get better soon, and are able to eat properly soon, i was a bit upset that my doctor at the hospital didnt tell me about eating light after the gallbladder removed, i read liquids then introduce foods gradualy, and at the hospital i was given Lamb chops, mashed potato, cheese, beef etc, no wonder i came home with diarreah and pains, its just neglect from my hospital :( im waiting for my order from holland and barrat to arrive, just ordered 100 of each to see how i go, oh and im having my staples out tomorow which im looking forward to because they have been irritating me 13 in total, hope it doesnt hurt,never had thembefore, have a nice xmas fay :xmas9:

I've not got staples or stitches - they said they stitched up the inside but the incisions have just got dressings over all 4 to heal on their own. Not sure if it's because of my size as I am quite small? Glad I don't have staples though as that's what was freaking me out.

That's naughty they didn't tell you that. I had a little toast yesterday and today toast and soup. I did have a naughty dinner with some rice and chicken in a korma sauce but I just picked out the chicken.

GL getting your staples out and hope you have a wonderful Christmas :kiss:

You didnt have staples or stiches? wow you lucky thing, i have 4 incisions 2 with 1 staple, 1 with 4 staples, and i have a slice on top of my belly button with 7 staples which they had to make a bigger opening because my gallbladder was 3times the size it should of been so they couldnt get it out of the incision ones, but again thats another story of neglect which i am currently having a complaint dealt with.

Oh an every time i sneeze it feels like the staples are ripping through me :( its good to talk to someone who has had the same thing, rly wish you a speedy recovery and make sure you avoid lifting anything heavy tc :)

Oh hun, sorry to hear you've had a rotten time and were neglected. I hope you're going to be more comfy when you have your staples out :flower:

None at all - the nurse explained that they've stitched up under the skin but the opening of the incisions have just got dressings on to knit up themselves. I was so thankful for not having any stitches or staples because I can remember how much I freaked when my chin was stiched up :haha:

I've overdone it today and am suffering for it so plan to snooze tomorrow :sleep:

Hope you feel better ASAP :hugs:

I had mine removed on 1st March this year. I can eat pretty much normally now but sometimes some foods will literally go straight through me in minutes, not nice! I kinda know what will do this and choose if its worth it lol. I didnt have staples in mine, I had stitches instead though and I got extra holes as they fluffed it up..so have ended up with 7 holes and a burn from where they burnt me during the op. My Belly button is messed up (My g/bladder was infected and larger than thought) so I have scar tissue in my belly button to go with the rest of the marks..Its so worth not having the excruciating attacks anymore though! x

I had mine removed after ds was born. He was only 6 weeks when I was first admitted to hospital with that pain that is worse than labour! The incisions for keyhole surgery are only small, and don't usually need a stitch, only a paper stitch. There is no foods that you actually have to avoid as such. Sometimes u might be more sensitive to different foods. Trial and error I'm afraid :-/. I can eat anything (and do, too much of it!). Inflamed gall bladder is very common after pregnancy.

Can i ask what kind of pain attacks you all had before it was removed, only because throughout the year i had terrible pain attacks radiating from the front to back and rib pain, and the hospital made me believe it was gastritis, so i ended up living with it for months having pain killers etc, until the day came my liver was enlarged so big and so much mucus was clogged that it made so ill i was put on a sunday emergency list, now i am filing a complaint because the hospital told me when i had a scan last feb, it showed i had gall stone, but no one told me as far as i was aware it was all clear :( so it didnt have to come to this and could of been prevented.

Also another question - had mine removed on 11th Dec, am i ok to drink over xmas because it is also my birthday and would like to join in with the family, or is it best to avoid?

I only had mine removed on Monday but I am going to have one or two drinks on Christmas day.

Struggling to eat much, though. Blah :wacko:

Julietz that pain sounds familiar! You are defo ok to drink over Christmas!

Aw i knew it :( re the pain, thanks very much and good to know i can enjoy a drink over xmas

damn i feel for u ladies!!! i had mine done in may i was out of recovery at 1pm by 4pm i was up walking around going loo eating anything i wanted lol i went home the next day and was pretty much back to normal! the only pain relief i had was a morhine shot while in recovery and thats it... the only thing that bothers me today is cream goes right thru me... not a good thing when this family and myself LOVE potatoe bake baked in cream lol

I was put on a "soft liquid" diet for a week after my surgery. I cold eat jello, veggie broth, cream of wheat, etc. No milk or meat products. Alcohol was definitely a no-no. I was then told to "experiment" with food and introduce things slowly. I can now eat most anything, but I have a couple days a week where most foods go straight through me.
I had my surgery 3 weeks after my son was born and was very sick and had pancreatitis and was jaundiced as I had a stone blocking my bile duct. One of the most painful experiences of my life!
I had 4 incisions, 2 about 1 inch long and 2 about a quarter of an inch. Just a few stitches.
I have heard that they now only make one incision in the bellybutton. That would have been nice.:dohh:

I had mine out 9yrs ago. I still have a sensitivity to Dairy, in particular cream, which is hard sometimes! I find that if I cut out all dairy then reintroduce some gradually I am ok... its a case of what the hell its Christmas this week and i am suffering because of it!!!!
Good Luck Ladies x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->