Anyone had/have a cerclage? Incompetent cervix :(

LeahLou

Emilia+Brantley+Kyle
Reaction score
Went to the doctor today and they found that my cervix is not only short but thin and soft. The outside is closed but the inside is wide open. So I've been put on strict bed rest and a cerclage is scheduled for Monday. Then bed rest till next Friday when we see if my body has accepted or rejected the stitches.
It explains why I had preterm labor with my DD. But means I will have to have the procedure with any future pregnancies as well.

I'm so overwhelmed and nervous. The doctors have been so encouraging. The success rate is 90% and all should be fine. I'll likely have to stay on even light bed rest though. They'll take the stitches out at 35/36 weeks and let nature takes its course. But I'm so paranoid. We're so in love with this little boy and I can't imagine life without him. I will do anything to keep him safe. I just don't know what to expect.

Has anyone else gone through similar??

I have not had it done, but my sister just did. Last year, she tragically lost her little girl due to her cervix opening around week 20 and then going into premature labor at 22 weeks. She is pregnant again now and had a cerclage put in at 13 weeks and it is holding tight. She is 17 weeks now and has routine ultrasounds to make sure everything is okay. She said the procedure went very smoothly, you're under anesthesia when they do it. Like you, she'll have the stitches removed once she reaches the final month of pregnancy.

So if they saw your's is starting to open, it's definitely the right choice to make. I know it's really scary, but anything that will help keep that baby inside is worth it. I think you have to do it right away because once it gets to a certain point, they can't do it anymore. That's what happened to her last year. Good luck and I'll keep you and your baby boy in my prayers!!!

Thank you !
I will do anything to keep him safe! Thankfully I'm still in the good time zone to do the procedure and have a very high change all will be well. But bed rest is unavoidable.

They told me I had to stay awake so I'll have a spinal tap. That's what's scaring me the most. I had a botched epidural that gave me nerve damage so it may make it worse. I just don't know what to expect.

Oh no! I'm sorry, that's really scary. My epidural failed and I had to get a spinal block for the emergency c-section. That one went smoothly though. I'm sure that was just a fluke and all will go well with it this time. It's so good that they caught it soon enough to get this done. And while bed rest sucks ass, there's nothing us mommies wouldn't do to give our babies the best chances! Are they going to have you do progesterone shots too? My sister starts those tomorrow I believe.

Well I'm glad the spinal went better! It is comforting that the catheter doesn't stay in.

I was on bed rest in the hospital with my daughter for 6 weeks. But she was my first so I was okay laying around. I'm already restless and it's only been one afternoon! I think it's also because I have nothing to do but sit here and worry. I'm not a crier but I've done my fair share in the past few hours!

They're starting me on the progesterone deposits first so I'm hoping that'll do it.

Bed rest with a toddler is certainly going to be a challenge. Can anyone come help you out a little? I really hope the progesterone shots help and they get you going in the right direction! If it improves, maybe they will put you on modified bed rest so it won't be as bad.

I have my lots of friends and family who will help. I just feel like a failure of a mom. Bleh. Makes me scared of having more. But we want a big family. I just need to take this one step at a time.

Thank you so much for replying. It's helped a lot!

:hugs:

There's a thread in Gestational Complications where there are lots of ladies with this issue.

They thought I might, so I've had all the scans etc and I found those ladies invaluable support.

More :hugs:

I had cerclage done on Thursday 24 sept, I was having fortnightly scans for IC and on week 20 the cervix went down to 15mm with funneling detected so a cerclage was done the next day, I'm recovering from it now. They used a spinal anaesthesia for me and the procedure lasted 30 min. I was discharged yest, on bed rest now for 10 days.
Let me know if you have any questions

I found the group!! Thank you fliss!!

Thank you for replying Crosby!! I almost would've rather had it done same day or next day so I'm not just laying around thinking about it!
I'm so terrified. I have nerve damage from my terrible epidural and flinch when someone even touches my lower back. I'm hoping they'll take me seriously and listen to what happened. I wasn't planning on an epi during labor because of it.
How's the pain after? Dr said I can only have low doses of Tylenol.

I do know this is the best thing to do though. The toilet next to my bedroom broke so I had to go downstairs. I was so uncomfortable and felt like he was going to fall out when I came back up the steps. Scared me to death.

Yes unfortunately mine was 24 weeks, too late for the cerclage I was at 15 mm with mild funneling. I have been having weekly scans since, and go for my last on Monday. I was put on progesterone. It was weird did not move for 3 weeks (was at 28mm) then went to about half in 6 days. The progesterone seems to be working, though as it has not moved since and I am at 27. I am terrified of pre-term, and am actually glad they will now do it for subsequent pregnancies well beforehand as little risk. I am on that thread as well, but just thought I'd respond here too.
If it's any comfort my doc said that bed rest did not seem to make a difference, so advised just common sense (normal stuff no heavy lifting etc). I imagine they just want you to heal from the cerclage and then you may get off bed rest

Hi i am on my second cervical cervlage. I had a preterm birth at 29 weeks and then one at 22weeks so In my 3rd pregnancy i had a stitch in at 14wks and carried my little boy all the way to 38 weeks. Even though my stitch came out at 36wks i still plodded along for an extra two weeks. This time i had my stitch in again around 14wks and im currently 29weeks and doing fine. Stitches are amazong and i highly recommend them. With my first stitch i layed down all day everyday and darnt move stand or carry anything as i was terrfied i would lose my baby. This time with the stitch i ahvnt layed down once and carried on life as normal. Only thing i have stopped doing is picking up my toddler and hoovering. iv had my cervix checked aswel and its holidng up great. Wishing you lots of luck xx

Thank you all!!
Procedure went well. Super super sore. Moving around is really uncomfortable and causes cramping so I'm taking it slow. Friday they'll let me know how it's working and that will determine the amount of bed rest. I have an ultrasound but I'm nervous they'll try and go internal :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->