Anyone have an OH who is a fussy eater?

DCS

Reaction score
Maybe its just hormones but my OH is driving me bat crap crazy atm.
Our almost 3 year old is now quite a fussy eater. He wont try " new things" even if he has previously enjoyed them.
Me and OH both agreed that we would both make an effort to display positive behaviour during meals. I eat anything and everything whereas OH is a nightmare. He constantly says he doesnt like things even though he says he has never tried them.
He will complain things taste of nothing which is why he doesnt eat them. He also says he likes fruit but i honestly can not remember the last time he had a piece of fruit, he will try a bit if LO keeps shoving it in his face but then instantly pulls a face.

Lo has now started mirroring this. He will take a bite then spit it out and pull a face and say " yummy."

Im just a little annoyed that im the one putting in all the hard work r.e LOs fussiness with food. When tbh i feel that if he is learning any of this its from OH. I know i cant force him into trying new things, and LO is probably just going through a phase but its really annoying me. Also because i love food, but im stuck eating the same thing everyweek. I can never make something different because noone eats it.

Im worried that LO will grow up like OH and be super fussy, i love my OH but its so difficult when it comes to food. And im worried they will both have an impact on #2s food habits when they get here and start eating.

So curious to know how you deal with fussy OHs. Im very bored of nagging OH. I just dish a little of everything up on LOs plate and hope for the best. And sometimes he will try aomething new.

When you find the answer, let me know...

Argh it's annoying. Like you I love trying new foods and like loads of different types. I could get really creative. However other half is the kind of guy that just does plain chicken, rice and frozen pizza. I HATE it. I'm hoping LO is like me so I can start bringing different food to the table and if oh doesn't like it, he is then in the minority!

I really think that your lo is mirroring your oh's behavior or trying to "impress" him. Toddlers pick up on a LOT more than people give them credit for, imo.

Maybe try talking to OH about how important it is for your lo to see healthy eating behaviors because it is SO much more important that your lo eat healthily and develop healthy eating habits for the future. It is only going to get worse as your lo gets older. If nothing else works, maybe try telling him how expensive it will be if your lo starts getting sick a lot because he doesn't get what he needs.

It is not fair to your lo (or you!) that your foods are limited. It is not healthy! Just because a person doesn't have weight problems doesn't mean that they are getting all the nutrients they need. I also think it is good to set an example of "trying new things" because almost everything is going to be new to a toddler.

My family is the opposite. I am the picky eater and oh will eat anything, but I realize how important it is to set good examples so I suck it up and eat peas and carrots even though they make me want to gag, lol. It will be better in the long run for my lo and plus I get nutrients.

Sorry for rambling, lol. But to answer your question, no my oh isn't a picky eater but my sisters ex-boyfriend was. He wouldn't eat anything "squishy", lol. No bean burritos, no ice cream, no guacamole, etc. i also never saw him eat any fruits.

Good luck. :)

I have a real issue with food, I am extremely picky and can barely eat a thing from a restrurant menu. It has not made a difference to my children. Tori eats things I couldn't stand but I never say I don't like it, or let her know.

With regards to your OH, don't push him. It's awful it really is, it reduces me to tears when people force me to eat things I cannot stand or know I won't, even if I haven't tasted them before. It's better to enjoy food you like and know than stress over stuff you will hate

Your OH needs to make an effort and not be negative about food.

I really feel for you. I don't have an oh that is a fussy eater but my brother and his wife are and I find this infuriating enough ( they often come over for dinner ) no veg, no sauces, god forbid u even thought of mentioning fish x

My hubby used to be quite fussy but recently has begun trying new things successfully! (I have no idea what changed though so i'm sorry I can't suggest you try it!)

I would however talk to your OH and say fair enough he doesn't like or want to try certain things but he has to be VERY careful in what he says and does in front of your LO, eg, dont say in front of lo that he doesn't want/like certain things and under no circumstances should he spit out/push away/be in anyway negative about foods. He needs to just quietly leave what he doesn't want on his plate and smile like he's enjoying even if he isn't.
Really hope you mange to prevent your LO from being fussy. Surround them with positive food experiences as often as you can! ;)

I have a real issue with food, I am extremely picky and can barely eat a thing from a restrurant menu. It has not made a difference to my children. Tori eats things I couldn't stand but I never say I don't like it, or let her know.

With regards to your OH, don't push him. It's awful it really is, it reduces me to tears when people force me to eat things I cannot stand or know I won't, even if I haven't tasted them before. It's better to enjoy food you like and know than stress over stuff you will hate

Your OH needs to make an effort and not be negative about food.

I am the same way, I barely have anything to eat and on top of that I am lactose intolerant. I always dislike when people make fun of me for it. I always put a positive "light" on all foods though and thankfully Tori loves every single food out there.

Thanks all. Ita especially nice hearing from people who actually are like my OH. He gets very deffensive if i try to talk about it with him.

In the 6 years we have been together i have got him to eat pasta, tuna mayo and lasagne all of which are his faves now. Just wish he would trust me. But im sick of nagging. And sick of hearing " its a phase, lo will grow out of it." He realy looks up to his daddy, he calls him the hulk, he thinks daddy is a superhero so im sure he is doing what daddy does. It may be a phase. It may not. OHs mum is fussier than OH. So i worry.
Iv said this before but if we only ate food OH and LO agreed on we would live off potatos, pasta, cucumber and cheese, burgers and biscuits.

I know this might not be practical but we all have different tastes in our house so meals are worked in a way where they can be adapted to suit the said fussy one (whether that be me or Alex, Alex has ASD so that's her fussiness account for, I have no excuse :/)
I was just brought up on the same foods day in and day out so I struggle. Even smells of new foods, colours or textures make me gag. I can't even touch yoghurt never mind consider eating it, so I shudder when the girls get their yogurts lol! Alex had pizza the other night and I had to touch it, I was dying inside.

I used to feel under pressure at the in laws when I went for dinner. They expected me to eat anything. MIL was bugging me about it and I didn't know what to say. Finally one day FIL said to her "leave her alone, there's no point in eating something if you don't enjoy it" From there I think they realised and they are quite considerate. I was so thankfull FIL accepted I just had picky tastes. It's not so much I don't want to-I can't even bring myself to.
Him saying that was a huge weight off my shoulders.

Rather than work against it, work with it. You don't want him resenting you for pushing him. He might even relax a bit, but I promise he'll appreciate your understanding xxx

I was a vegetarian for 13 years and I would eat the same meals as everyone else only adapted for me. Could you perhaps make something for you and LO and perhaps make it similar for your oh so it's not that much different and effort to make but that LO thinks your all eating the same thing? For example make a veg lasagne for you and LO, but leave out the peppers in a different dish for oh?

Thank u. We have just been talking and he explained why he doesnt like certain things. I never really understood because he never talked long enough to explain.

But i did suggest i make things such as rice and leave it in a bowl in the middle, if either of them want to try it then they are welcome to.
He is quite happy to eat veg if he can not see it. He has said i can add whatever i want as long as its not cabbage.
Iv got to learn to mKe smaller portions. Itend to cook enough for a small village.

he was fussy. but then i said you eat it or go without.. he soon started eating ;)

we arnt together now so no doubt hes gone back to living off beer & pizza.

My oh used to be a stupidly fussy eater to the point he would only eat meat potato's noodles bread and baked beans

Now he is still a stupidly fussy eater but is a lot better he will eat curry and makes it himself from scratch he loves pizza but again makes the base and sauce himself he will eat beef stew as long as we take all the veg out his portion because he won't eat any veg or fruit

I don't really understand how he can not like entire categories of food he dont like veg or fruit or sauces :/ it's not just bits and pieces he will rule out entire categories of food

Our 3 year old is a fussy eater to but it's not down to oh as we have been very careful in hiding ohs eating habits

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->