Anyone have better luck with 2nd Baby?

ajlj1126

Reaction score
Hi! :flower:

I was determined to BF my DD when she was born. She was born with a shorter than usual tongue (she was not tongue-tied, just had a smaller tongue than normal) and she had a very hard time latching. Added to the problem is the fact that I have smaller nipples, they don't stick out very much and we had to use a shield to get her to suck on something. She would try and try but end up bawling and not getting anything. We saw lactation consultants (2 of them) but they couldn't get her to latch either.

I ended up exclusively pumping for her, and did it successfully for the first 8 months of her life, but I had to switch to formula (unfortunately!!) when I started working again.

I'm wondering if anyone had a baby that just wouldn't latch the first time and the 2nd baby BF'd just fine? I'm having another LO, due in January, and I REALLY desperately want to be able to BF, not just pump this time.

Any stories/advice would be appreciated. I'm determined not to give up trying this time :)

My son was a nightmare to feed, took him hours to latch on (my nipples don't stick out much either) and I was in pain constantly with black cracked bleeding nipples - he cried all. The. Time, both of us was not enjoying it to say the least so I only managed 2 weeks with him and when I gave him his first bottle of formula he wolfed it down and was content for the first time. With my daughter (a year later) she was a natural, infact I'm having a hard time to get her to take a bottle and even a dummy! All she wants is boob and has done from the word go. She fed for 3 solid hours soon as she was born and latched on like a duck to water. No pain what so ever easy as
pie :)

Hiya, this sounds exactly like me. Dd1 was tiny at birth (5lb1oz)inverted nipples. I never got her to latch at all and ended up exclusively pumping, same as you.

Second time around I expected the same but planned to try as hard as I could. I prepared in pregnancy by getting some nipple formers and wore these for a couple of hours each night from30 wks onwards. I've no idea if they helped but I tried to feed straight after the birth and got her latched straight away without any help!

in the hospital I found I could only get her on one breast as the other nipple was more inverted, but eventually I manged to get her on the other. After this we have not had any problems, she latches fine. I use a different feeding position on the inverted nipple(rugby ball style) and more traditional on the other.

I hope this helps you and good luck!!

My first wouldn't latch. No idea why, she was never checked for tongue tie though so possibly that seeing as my lb had it. I struggle badly with feeding for 10 days until giving in to formula. My nipples were horrendous, they were bleeding and hanging off more or less! I got mastitis too which was the final straw for me.

My son had a tongue tie and couldn't latch either to begin with. We had it divided at 5 days old and haven't like back! I had issues with low supply but after 12 weeks of more or less constant feeding (exhausting!!!!) he started to get better. It took him a while to get to his birth weight but we done it and I'm so glad I stuck it out as it's a walk in the park now and I love breastfeeding! Never thought I would say that.

Good luck sweet. You'll do fab :) xxxx

Such great success stories for you!!! I have one too :)

My daughter struggled latching and I had severe anxiety about her getting enough, which I knew she wasn't. My poor nipples were raw and cracked and bleeding so much I swore there were times she got more blood than milk. I agonized over it but finally at 4 weeks I threw in the towel. It was a better choice for us.

My son, who is one week old today, :D has been a breeze! My nipples are fully healed from just a few sore spots, he has almost gained his birth weight back and is a happy little Boobie monster :):) I totally thought it was me last time, but our pediatrician assured me that bf is so baby dependent! Best of luck on you're second!

Thank you all for the hope! I seriously hope I don't have to EP with this lil one. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED giving her MY milk and not store-bought formula, but I felt like all I ever did was sit in front of the pump and my whole life had to be planned around when I had to pump and how much milk I made and storing it and washing the pump and bottles, etc.. so I would REALLY like to avoid all of that this time around!! Thank you all for your encouragement!

With my first I struggled for 4 weeks. I went to see a breastfeeding expert 4 times they couldn't seem to help me. I was so sore nipples were bleeding and it was toe curling every time I tried feeding her. I was in tears. I then found out my dd had tongue tie. We had it snipped but I then got mastitis and thrush At the same
Time so I expressed for 12 weeks then put her onto formula.

I now have an 8 week old dd . I got the hospital to check
Her for tongue tie as soon as she was born. She doesn't have it and feeding her has been so easy. I had 2 days of slight sore nipples while we were getting use to feeding but other then that it's been amazing and so much easier.

Good luck. Just relax

I had major issues with dd1 and was still having alot of pain and latching issues at 11 weeks when i stoppped. DD2 is 11 weeks on Tues and we are going fantastic, no pain and no issues at all after a rocky start. I really thought i wouldnt be able to this time and almost gave up by 4 weeks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->