Anyone have experience with new style ESA?

loeylo

1DD, 1 pup, WTT#2
Reaction score
It’s driving us mad 😳

My fiancé is unable to work due to illness (depression) but previous to this had a well paying job (£30,000 approx) - he took voluntary redundancy in September and got a good package, but we had to pay off some house loans from when we bought our house, and get a new car as ours failed the MOT. We then lived off his redundancy until recently. He had been off work long term sick and was reduced to 50% pay previous to the redundancy.

We were told he couldn’t get any help from the government for 6 months as he took voluntary redundancy, which it turns out isn’t true.

After the 6 months we contacted the job centre and were put in for universal credit. I work full time and have a good job (teacher), we own our house, and don’t really have any savings left.

We submitted lots of information including all our income for the past 12 months, we both went for meetings ETC and we were awarded £500/month. Great.

However the next month they awarded us £0 based on “information from HMRC” about my earnings. They are exactly as I entered and my wage doesn’t ever change, so I guess the £500 must have been a mistake.

We have since found out that we could have been claiming ESA all along 😳

Every time we call the number on the .gov website to try and claim we are told we have the wrong number. Nobody in our job centre acknowledges that ESA exists. Citizens advice for us the form, but it’s very unclear what they are actually asking. For example, one of the questions states:

“Do you think special rules apply to you?”

Underneath it states “if the claimant is unsure as to whether they can claim under special rules, enter No and proceed with the data gather. There is no requirement to discuss with the claimant what could be classed as special rules”

Clear as mud!

It also mentions a ds1500 form. We have no idea what this is.

There is a further question “are you getting or waiting to get a question” - surely the answer to this is yes? I mean, we have a while to wait, but ultimately we are waiting.

If anyone can give us any type of help we would be really grateful!

I get contribution ESA ( because I worked for x amount of year before becoming ill) but I get less than £500 a month. My husband only works 3-4 days a week and dosent earn that much. ( because he cares for his dad 2-3 days a week.

I don't know much about universal credit ESA have you tried the online calculator on gov site. Or turn2us they also have online calculator-which I find was more accurate about child tax credit info amount.

Also not to add to your paperwork ( sorry ) some council take a discount off your council tax if you have serve mental impairment. I am just going through this and fighting as i didnt know you could get it-my friend onlu needed a letter from DR but I needed PIP letter-mine is 25%off so worth doing. I didn't know I be missed out of 5 years of claiming. Bit each council is diffrent

Sorry can't be more help. Xxx

Thanks for taking the time to reply 👍🏻

He is still waiting to hear if he gets PIP air not. No idea what stage the application process is at so far.

We know ESA will be less than £500/month- I think it’s nearer £350? Which is fine. Right now we are only left with £200/month after bills, and my fiancé had the same job for all his working life and literally has only been out of work for 8 months ever.

We don’t get tax credits or anything because of my earnings. It’s so annoying! We obviously took on the mortgage, car and everything when we had an income of £65,000+ so now being basically half that is a total struggle.

I didn’t know that about the council! I actually need to phone them tomorrow anyway because I can have them take my council tax from my wage so I save a bit on tax.

Sorry I'm not sure on most of your questions but a DS1500 form is used if someone has a terminal condition. Hope someone else can help with the other bits.

Sorry I'm not sure on most of your questions but a DS1500 form is used if someone has a terminal condition. Hope someone else can help with the other bits.

Oh right! Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"