Anyone have issues with needles and fainting?

Woofie1015

Reaction score
I'm not afraid of the needle itself, I don't get a lot of anxiety with needles (although I do prefer not to look), but there have been times where my body has just...freaked out, and I have passed out, thrown up, or both.

For example, I had local anesthesia for a scalp biopsy about a year ago and I was fine, until I got up and walked to the desk to pay and leave. Then I got dizzy, nauseous, and had to sit down. When I continued to get worse the nurses tried to get me to a bed, but I didn't make it and ended up in the hallway on the floor. Once I was down I immediately started to feel better, and got to a bed where I laid for a few minutes before attempting to drive home.

Recently, I had a ton of blood drawn for prenatal testing at my first prenatal appointment. I have had up to three vials drawn before without having this kind of reaction so I thought I would be fine. Nope. About 45 seconds after we were done, again I got nauseous, clammy, and ended up passing out on my way to the nearest bed, and then puking my cheerios all over myself. SO embarrassing, although the nurses were super nice about it (KUDOS to all you medical professionals out there who deal with people and their bodily fluids!).

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else has the same issue, and if so did it affect your pregnancy or your delivery in any way? My mother seems concerned about my possibly having an epidural because of this. FYI, I WILL be consulting my OB about this at my next appointment, I'm just wondering if anyone else can relate.

Thanks! :thumbup:

Yep that was me all over till I refuse my blood taken by anyone other than the "vampires" at the hospital who take blood all day every day.
She said make sure you aren't dehydrated at all, have them take it from your left as it comes out quicker, use a paediatric needle if necessary, use a proper clip on and off for swapping the vials rather than the screw one.
Luckily my midwife is brilliant at taking blood so I do let her do it.
I'm ok with injections mostly, but unless it's life or death no way will they be coming near me with an epidural.
I had a 26 hour labour and delivered a 10lb3 baby on no medication so don't let people tell you you need an epidural.
Xx

I have grown a tolerance to needles over the years. Absolutely hated them as a child, and screamed my head off when I need a shot. Then when I was about 13/14 years old I had my hep B series of shots, by the 3rd shot I was good. When I was 16, first time I attempted to give blood I passed out. I was so embarrassed but was told it's normal especially for first time blood donors. When I was pregnant with DS1, I was so used to the blood draws, and other tests needed that I hardly flinched (I also had the Rhogam shot in my 28th week).

This time around, I've had my blood draws, and was okay through them. I had to look away, and felt a bit nauseous afterwards, and a bit clammy, but walked out fine.

I would just talk to your doctor about it, that way it's noted in your chart, just like for instance I have a latex irritation and I can't have certain local anesthetics (they will make my bp and heart rate drop, and I pass out).

Thanks ladies. I will be sure OB makes a note of it at our next appointment!

Needles make me sick, too. In the past i would always pass out or vomit, as well, but with my first pregnancy i had high-ish blood sugar and had to have constant testing for gestational diabetes so i had no choice but to get sort of numb to the whole issue.

Though, she's almost 7 now, so ive found myself becoming shaky and sick a few times since when ive had to had my blood drawn, but im sensitive to emfs (electro-magnetic fields) which all medical equipment gives off, so it's hard to say which is making me sick.

Though im told it's a form of "shock" kinda when you pass out or whatever from needles so i guess it's sorta a reaction to being "hurt" even though you're not really in any danger.

Sucks but it seems to help when i just focus on something else when having my blood drawn. Hope that helps you, too.

I don't, but my DH has this reaction to needles, and sometimes blood. It's totally an unconscious reaction. Look up vasovagal reaction. Unfortunately, it's not really something that u can control. His has also gotten worse as he's gotten older. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->