Anyone having a planned c-section? (no VBAC)

mommy-in-june

Bodhi's Mommy
Reaction score
During my last appointment, my doctor let me know she will not do VBAC for anyone. I realize it can and has been done- she just doesn't think it's worth the risk, so she won't do it. In a way, I am relieved, because I was planning on spending my entire pregnancy wondering how things will go down in the end! My pelvis is extremely small, and my hips are turned inward. It caused stress to the baby last time, and it took hours to see it just wasn't happening naturally.

I was wondering if anyone else is having a planned section, and what you're thinking/feeling about it. Like I said, I am kind of relieved not to have to wonder the whole pregnancy long.

i am planning to go when the baby wants but my sister-in-law who is due at the end of january is planning her c-section not due to medical reasons but because she doesn't want to deal with recovery from a vaginal delivery and wants to pick out the baby's birthdate. that irritates me. if it's for medical purposes, i understand but if it's not you should not be planning your c-section!

I thought for sure my dr would want me to try, but she said most patients with my issues end up having another c-section anyway. I certainly am not planning it for convenience... that sounds a bit too "Hollywood" for me! :roll:

Hey. I think it is grat you are thinking about your options.

From the sounds of it, I think your doctor is talking about CPD.

https://www.ican-online.org/vbac/cephalopelvic-disproportion-cpd

That is for VBAC's that specifically relate to that CPD.

Actually I think when she said that she meant most patients of hers end up with another c-section. A quote from the website shows that it isn't most:
How Likely Am I To Birth Vaginally After a Cesarean for CPD?

Studies report two-thirds of women will have a successful VBAC despite a previous diagnosis of CPD. One study showed an 80% VBAC success rate for women who had undergone a cesarean for arrest during the second stage of labor (CPD). In another study of women who had undergone two previous cesareans for CPD/FTP, 56% delivered vaginally.

Thanks for the link! I am seeing a chiropractor for my issues... it has IMMENSELY helped with my hip and knee pain. Not to mention what was daily hell back pain. I do trust my dr to know what's best for me, but I also want to know my options and be educated. So this helps!

i'm having one. I have had 3 previous from medical reasons (hips are to small and they don't open wide enough with a baby over 6 lbs and then i had to have 2 babies that way so i'm doomed for life lol) but I feel good about it. Kind of nervous about recovery being this will be the 4th section. The first 2 weren't that bad recovery but Lily was harder. So we'll see.

This is my first bubs and i'm having a planned section due to a birth defect with my hips. it's taken until now to get my consultant to agree and it has been worrying the hello ut of me going natural. Now it's been confirmed i'm even more scared of the op itself! EEK

I will be having another c-section as I have had 2 previous sectons. My issue is that I just dont go into labour but my waters break early. My first pregnancy this happened and I was put on a sintocin drip until they finally realised I had a cord prolapse and baby could die unless they got him out immediately. With second pregnancy they told me I could give a vbac a go but same thing happened with waters breaking but no labour and they were not prepared to induce me so it was another section. This time the choice is not mine as they wont do a vbac after 2 sections in my area.

This is my first, and my OB thinks my hips are way too narrow: I'm 154cm tall and DH is over 1 foot taller than me! Baby is steadily measuring at 1-1.5 weeks ahead of development (we know exactly when I ovulated so dates are not wrong, this is going to be a huge baby!). My OB said either we try natural birth, which will likely be very long and difficult, with a very high likelihood of needing an emergency C/S (NOT good for fetal outcome), or just plan for a C/S off the bat. We've opted for the planned C/S evidently! I don't want to put baby through something that is likely to be prolonged with a high likelihood of leading to fetal distress...

i am planning to go when the baby wants but my sister-in-law who is due at the end of january is planning her c-section not due to medical reasons but because she doesn't want to deal with recovery from a vaginal delivery and wants to pick out the baby's birthdate. that irritates me. if it's for medical purposes, i understand but if it's not you should not be planning your c-section!

does she not realise that the recovery from a c-section is a million times worse than recovery from a vaginal delivery? Im recovering from an emergency c-section at the moment and it is NOT an easy option!!

hey chick, I am having a planned this time too. My first was due to fetal distress as well.

I am ok about it, on one hand, id have loved a VBAC, just because your up and about so quick after a natural birth, on the other, I wouldnt like to spend 2 days in labour again and end up with an emergency section.

I think I may have to have one as baby is still breech today at 36+4 - baby has been in same position for over 10wks now and no sign of moving anywhere!

I have declined the manual turning procedure (whatever its called!) and so have to go back to consultant next week at 37+4 to talk over how we proceed from here.

I am not worrying at all about the procedure or if baby turns not worrying about a vaginal birth - I try avoid reading others' awful stories. I am just really looking forward to having my little one soon - whatever way that may be!:flower:

in the UK i dont think you can choose to have a C-section it has too be a medical reason unless you go private, Correct me if im wrong
xx

Same thing in Canada, you can't "chose" a C-section: your doctor has to have specific concerns for you to have a planned C-section... Although that being said, I know a few of my colleagues (doctors as well) who demanded and received a C-section without there being a medical reason for it, for "pelvic preservation"!

its probably strange but im not too scared about child birth i actually really want to experience it i dont know why anyone would choose a c-section unless for medical reasons obviously
xx

I think some who have not had a section think it may be an easier option for some reason. I've gotten that response from a few friends- "lucky!"... My first one was so painful! I had to be on meds for a month... everything hurt except sitting or laying still. Although, that was an open adoption situation when I was 19, and I'm sure the post- depression made the recovery seem much worse.

I am only relieved now because I know the baby and I will not have to go through (another) 11 hours of hard labor to be told I need emergency surgery. I am not psyched about recovery, but I will have a wonderful little person to help me through this time. :happydance:

I have not had a c-section but I know that a c-section is definetly not an easy option! Sometimes it isn't even an option. I can't stand when people say that a c-section is cheating because someone who has had a c-section, especially if it wasn't an option for them, needs lots of love and time to recover. There is a higher chance of PND after a c-section too and that would ont be easy. Good luck and remember to go easy on yourself.

I am having a planned c-section. My first born was in distress so I had an emergency CS. Second one I chose the c-section and the 3rd same thing. I chose March 19 for the due date. Should be 39 weeks by then.

My DD was born by emergency section, and my mw said this time I have the choice.
I put a lot of thought into it, and have decided on the section. Weighing up the pros and cons for each option, this is the one that is right for me. My decision was more about my mental state than anything. Due to the horrific experience of a dear friend, the risks involved with VBAC were really weighing on my mind and causing me a lot of unnecessary stress. Since making my decision I've been sleeping better at night.

When I was deciding a lot of people put pressure on me to choose VBAC. I don't know if was intentional or not. Personally, I do not feel that not giving birth naturally will make me any less of a woman, or mother. The only thing that really matters is that my baby is born, and that we both come thru the experience healthy and relatively unscathed.

I am having a planned c-section cos of having triplets. Although she did warn me they might decide to come early on their own. I dunno if that means once in natural labour I can still have a c-section?

I am looking forward to having a c-section cos it's an actual date for when they will be here! Just not looking forward to the epidural

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->