Anyone having trouble controlling their blood sugar?

I guess what I meant by rule is that I didnt eat anything that I wasnt supposed to and I didnt go over the limit. Seriously, 2 gulps of fat free milk and 2 bites of fish and 4 crackers is not a lot for a bedtime snack. Especially when I have been well rested.

I usually eat my snack at around 10 pm since I go to bed late, and wake up when my son does which is around 9:30 pm. I usually sleep around 12 am - 1 am.

I'm going to show my doc my numbers on 6/5, but til then I just have to find a way to control my bs. Should I not have a night time snack at all? I just dont know what to do about my fasting bs. Its not significantly high but still high is high regardless what number. I didnt have this problem with my first pregnancy although I also had GD. Far as I remember, I was able to eat more (dont know why, maybe my body was able to process it better?) and still had good numbers.

My dietician told me to play around with the food and see what works best.

I find myself stressing out so much this pregnancy. I've been poking myself at least 6 times a day to make sure my bs is in check although I am only supposed to check 4 times. I am running out of test strips that my insurance company has provided.

Last time my son was born normal weight for his gestational age, although he was born 8 weeks early so I am trying to comfort myself by thinking the same thing will happen this time...I mean not the preemie but that he will be born normal weight.

Does it make a difference to the outcome if my numbers are high but not too high...like 15 points or less past the 120 or it doesnt really matter? I know some people whose numbers are in the 200 range and had to be admitted. Obviously my numbers are not that bad. Just trying to find a light at the end of the tunnel I guess while I am trying to play aroudn with food to see what works.

I have a ton of trouble with my fasting number. It turned out I had to eat more carbs before bed because my blood sugar was dropping and then my liver was dropping to much sugar which raised my morning numbers. Maybe check your numbers sometime during the night to see if they are going to low?

I guess what I meant by rule is that I didnt eat anything that I wasnt supposed to and I didnt go over the limit. Seriously, 2 gulps of fat free milk and 2 bites of fish and 4 crackers is not a lot for a bedtime snack. Especially when I have been well rested.

I usually eat my snack at around 10 pm since I go to bed late, and wake up when my son does which is around 9:30 pm. I usually sleep around 12 am - 1 am.

I'm going to show my doc my numbers on 6/5, but til then I just have to find a way to control my bs. Should I not have a night time snack at all? I just dont know what to do about my fasting bs. Its not significantly high but still high is high regardless what number. I didnt have this problem with my first pregnancy although I also had GD. Far as I remember, I was able to eat more (dont know why, maybe my body was able to process it better?) and still had good numbers.

My dietician told me to play around with the food and see what works best.

I find myself stressing out so much this pregnancy. I've been poking myself at least 6 times a day to make sure my bs is in check although I am only supposed to check 4 times. I am running out of test strips that my insurance company has provided.

Last time my son was born normal weight for his gestational age, although he was born 8 weeks early so I am trying to comfort myself by thinking the same thing will happen this time...I mean not the preemie but that he will be born normal weight.

Does it make a difference to the outcome if my numbers are high but not too high...like 15 points or less past the 120 or it doesnt really matter? I know some people whose numbers are in the 200 range and had to be admitted. Obviously my numbers are not that bad. Just trying to find a light at the end of the tunnel I guess while I am trying to play aroudn with food to see what works.

So...I think you should try to have your snack a little later actually...since you stay up until midnight try and have the snack around 11 or 11:30. The one time I went more than 10.5 hours between a snack and checking my fasting glucose, I had a high number. Now I eat between 11pm - midnight...and check it between 9-10am. Have never had a high number doing that.

When you say maybe you should skip the snack, you are thinking of it the wrong way. Your body actually Needs this snack late, because if it goes too long without having those carbs your liver will send glycogen into your blood and your glucose will spike. This may be what is happening to you.

I eat a graham cracker with peanut butter and a bowl of berries, strawberries and blueberries most the time, with a little sugar free cool whip. It is important at every meal and especially at your night time snack to have carbs mixed with protein. I feel like your fish and milk and a few crackers may not be enough carbs. Try to eat a fruit with that perhaps...and eat later and see what happens.

Your dietician should have gone over this all with you and explained the night time snack because fasting glucose is often the trickiest for everybody...and should have provided you with some sort of packet or pamphlet with information on how many carbs per meal you can eat and a list of different foods which are ok....mine was very thorough and requests to see my numbers once a week to make sure things are going well. You might even think about trying to see a different diabetic counselor to help you through this.

You said you have 40 grams of carbs at meals...which seems a little low for bigger meals like lunch and dinner. My guidelines were 30g breakfast, 15g snack, 65g lunch, 25g snack, 65g dinner, 25g night time snack. I have only had 2 bad numbers ever following these guidelines and they were early on when I was clueless about what I was doing. I've definitely had meals where I've had less than 65....but sometimes I am right up there if I have a baked potato or sweet potato and some bread with dinner. You said you feel like you are on a weight loss plan and I wonder if you are so scared of the numbers that you are eating less than you really can...or being super strict on yourself. I think as long as you eat whole grain stuff and fruits and vegetables you should really be able to eat a good amount of food and still be safe numbers wise...I know everybody is different obviously but you should give it a try eating a little more food as long as its the right kinds of food and see how you feel.

Also I'd stop sticking myself 6 times a day if I were you...cause the only number that matters is the fasting and 2 hours after the 3 big meals...anything else is just adding to your stress. You can do this....you just need to relax and realize it's temporary...find things you enjoy eating that keep your blood sugar controlled and it really is not a bad diet. I was like in the dumps the first couple days but if you follow guidelines and keep track of what foods make you spike...you will eventually get the hang of this.

So I just checked my dinner bs. Let me say, I usually dont eat typical meals. I just ate cereal with fat free milk so its not your typical dinner but I consider it "dinner" because I ate it at 6:45 pm. So I ate 3/4 cup of cereal with 3/4 cup of milk. That is less than 36 grams based on the labels. My blood sugar was 120 when I checked, at least I didnt have a spike.

My dietician did give me a pamphlet that has the foods and the amount of carbs that each item contains. She said breakfast should be 30 grams, each snack should be 15 grams, lunch and dinner should be 30-45g (that is way under what you are allowed to eat, I wish she would give me 65g) and bedtime snack should be 15-30g because I am sleeping through the night.

I have been eating the foods based on the lists she provided and counting carbs but dont know why I am still having problems with the morning blood sugar. I know I am under the limit because fish is protein it doesnt count, 1 cup of milk is 13g but I only took 2 gulps, and 4 crackers is 8g. Maybe like you said I should be tweaking things around a bit.

I'll try having my snack later tonight and see how that goes. I'm only meeting the dietician twice the first time was for an hour long meeting. My follow up is on 6/2 for a follow up. At that appointment she's just going to look at my log and see the numbers I'm getting. After that, she's sending me back to my doctor to care for me. She told me that if I have a few numbers that are bad it should be fine, its just numbers that are constantly bad that are concerning. Its only been 4 days since my appointment with her so I guess its trial week for me and trying to get the hang of things.

Woo hoo! First time in a very long time (it seems) that I got a normal fasting bs reading! Woke up this morning and it was 95. I guess it has to do with the type of food that I eat? I was also able to get full from it too. At around 11:00 pm I ate a sandwich on whole wheat. Somehow at 3:00 am I suddenly woke up cuz baby was hurting me with his low kicks and felt hungry again. So I went out and ate a wrap. Its like a sandwich just in the form of a wrap...then went to bed again 3:30 am.

I know that the veggies and meat in the sandwich is free food so its just mostly the bread that I was supposed to worry about. Dont know how it happened but I got a good number this morning and I didnt starve during the night!

Yeah it just sounded like you're eating too early and not enough carbs. If you're allowed 45 carbs for lunch/dinner try and eat that many...fruits, veggies and whole grain foods along with a lean protein.

Again not to harp but cereal is really not the best dinner. If you're getting 36 carbs from it you're not getting any carbs from fruits or veggies or whole grains and the protein in the milk is not enough. The more food you're able to squeeze into that meal the healthier it all is for you and baby. If you can only eat one thing (cereal with milk) it's probably not the most nutritious meal and you're gonna get hungry again quicker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->