Anyone live in a terraced house?

lovehearts

Reaction score
Hi,

Its a seriously random question i know :wacko:

I was just wondering those of you that live in terraced houses in the UK (not new builds) what is the noise like? We currently live in a new build appartment and i can hear my neighbours pee!!!! We are looking at our next purchase as ours is on the market and we are trying to decide if mid terraced properties are good to view?

Basically, If you live in a terraced house, can you hear your neighbours??

xx

I don't live in a terrace house now, but I grew up in one and I couldn't really heare the neighbours unless they were making A LOT of noise!
I live in a Semi Detached now, and can still hear the neighbours a bit, but not very much.
I think the older the property, the better and thicker the walls.

I lived in a 1910 terrace for 7 years. Like other have said you could only hear them is they were being noisy. Nothing like being able to hear toilets flushing or anything like that.

The terrace where I live now is quiet. I only ever hear my neighbours if they are shouting to each other from the kitchen, which isnt often. I live on the end terrace so there is our hallway, then their hallway between our living room and their living room if that makes sense, so we never hear their tv or music at all. Which is a blessing after we had to move from our last house due to noisy neighbours. xxx

I live in a 1910 terrace and have done for 5 years.

I never hear my neighbour.

I live between a paint shop and a house and I have never heard anything.

If the paint shop wasn't there I would be an end terrace.

I love it.

V xx

Before I lived in this house (which is a newbuild) we lived in a terraced older property and I could still hear my neighbours quite clearly, although definately not as bad. This house is worse, I heard my neighbours alarm clock go off yesterday lol..
x

I live in a terraced house which was built in the 1920's i think and i dont really hear my neighbours apart from sometimes in the front room as are from rooms are next to each other i dont hear them the other side probably just depends on the house you live in i lived in a end terrace before this and could still hear next door x

Omg lol.
I live in an old build terraced house but its been split into two flats one up one down, and i cant hear anyone, i hear lady downstairs sometimes when shes shouting or music on loud but i have never heard either neighbours left or right. Ours was built roughly early 1900's we have really high ceilings and i love it.

I'm moving into an end terrace in Aug...so fingers crossed what everyone has said is true :) x

I've lived in a 100 year old terrace and we could hear the old lady next door coughing but not a lot else.

I live in a new build terrace now and we can't hear anything from either side and next door have 2 teenagers!

We're in a 50's terrace, ex council :flower:

We only ever hear the neighbours if they decide to have a party x

Thank you all :)

I lived in a semi-detached before our apartment and only ever heard the neighbour while in the kitchen. I wasn't sure if having someone either side would make a difference. It seems the older the better then :)

Iv heard alarm clocks too, along with other things i really dont want to know about so i think anything will be better than where I am now :rofl:

Xx

sorry to be a downer but i am a mid terraced and when im stood in the kitchen i can hear next door put the microwave on! My sons bedroom is next to their bathroom (ours is down) we can hear them run the tap and flush ect ect! x

ours is over 100 yrs old & we never hear a peep out of our neighbours x

We're in a 1960s end terrace and only hear the neighbours if they are playing music loud or shouting. Our living room is next to their kitchen so sometimes we hear them switch a socket on.

I'm in a 1960s/early 70s mid-terrace. We only hear loud sounds - like music/TV turned up unreasonably loud (doesn't happen much anymore) or shouting. And random sounds like for some reason we hear next door's patio doors being opened really clearly - not sure why! But in general, we can't complain about the sound proofing, really. Could be a lot worse :)

Mine is an older terrace also, and its only an issue when they play music which is very rare and it has to be really loud, it usually only happens when the 18 year old gets a few mins in the house on his own hahah, and like i say it has to be LOUD LOUD, oh and when the mum goes bonkers lol, which again rare, and its ace getting to be a bit nosey, like twice a year she flips her lid and we hear her screaming lol. You never hear toilets or anything like that! Diy though thats a bitch haha, the other week my neighbours had wall insulation installed, they might aswell have been putting it in my house for the bleeding noise :p x

:rofl: seems its no worse than a semi detached then. I guess you have to hope for nice neighbours too.

Thank you for all the replies :)

Xx

Nah it's not worse in a mid than an end terrace, it depends on the build/soundproofing.

I lived in a flat once where you could hear neighbours going for a pee. That was grim

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->