Anyone live in a terraced house?

I cab hear my neighbours when they slam their front doors but that's it.

I live in an old terrace. Day to day living I can't hear anything. But I can hear them when they argue. or play music. And if my house is completly silent, I can hear their tv.

I live in a 1900s terrace and we don't really hear our neighbours

My house was built in 1980s and I hear my neighbours walking upstairs etc but not things like tv or toilet x

We live in a terraced house I think the we're probably built around 10-15 years ago,the only thing we hear on the odd occasion Is someone going up the stairs and sometimes shutting their front door, it's not overly loud though

Lived in an 80s terraced house and could here EVERYTHING!sex, flushing toilet you name it nothing was secret :haha:
In an older house now which i must say is a lot quieter,helps though with older couples either side of me lol.

Ours aren't too bad. I can hear the occasional door bang but generally it's fine (althoug hit helps both my neighbours are elderly ladies). However, it's the lack of privacy in the garden that bothers me...

sorry to be a downer but i am a mid terraced and when im stood in the kitchen i can hear next door put the microwave on! My sons bedroom is next to their bathroom (ours is down) we can hear them run the tap and flush ect ect! x

True. I used to live in a 1930s terrace and when the neighbours came in it sounded like they were walking into our house that's how thin the walls were. Meanwhile we live in a newbuild flat now with about a foot of concrete in between all the floors so the only noise we hear comes from outside the building, and the people using the stairs/lift if we're right next to the front door xx

I live in a new build (the block of houses is 3 years old - its 5 houses wide). I can here nextdoor go up the stairs if its late and very quiet but other than that nope cant here. Although if i could afford it i would buy a detached property so i could be as noisy as i liked

The older the house the better it's built, the Walls are thicker. I never hear anything

Maybe it's just me but every terrace I've lived in you could hear everything,
The last one I could hear the guy snoring and his alarm going off, and on the otherside some spectacular arguments from the chavs next door, they used to wake me and DH up nightly arguing about who was doing the night feed. Lol
I'd never live in a terrace again if I could help it x

I can hear my neighbours turn the light switch on from my front room. And can hear next doors (the other side) kids when they are in the bath.

Then when in our dining room I can hear them talking to their kids.

Ours isnt a new build, far from it...

We live in a 1970s mid terrace at the moment and on one side which is divided into flats we never hear a thing. On the other side the old neighbours used to be so noisy constantly slamming doors and screaming at each other so we could hear everything.
Since the new neighbours moved in I've found I can only hear them when I'm in the bathroom and they are in the bathroom too and only barely. I can't hear them pee or anything just if they are talking loudly, yesterday morning it was the mum shouting at the toddler to stop knocking at the door she was just having a wee and would be right out :rofl:

I think it depends a lot on the build and then who your neighbours are.
BIL lives in a mid terrace that's relatively new build (2000's) and he can hear their neighbour pee in his ensuite when they are lying in bed :sick:

We are in a new build mid terrace (i know you said not new build) and we only ever hear our neighbours if they set the fire alarm off or if they are doing DIY x

I totally forgot about this but I used to live in a flat in a terraced house; that dated from c.1910, there were massive gaps in the floorboards as it seemed they had been built from reclaimed wood or something, so much so that in places you could see right through to the downstairs flat if you put an eye to the floor. The sound insulation between my flat and the downstairs flat was non-existent and also between the property my flat was in and next door; though no-one lived in either next door most of the time as the owners just came back now and again to do a bit of work on the houses in order to sell them on. I also lived in a very tiny 2up, 2 down ( was told they used to be 1 up, 1 down) and that also had poor sound insulation problems, the couple next door would have blazing rows and we'd hear every word and also every word and note of the 80s Eric Clapton song they would play on a constant loop when the other walked out of the house. I think that terraced houses that were more 'slummy' in the past as opposed to being built for the middle classes tend to be less solidly built. xx

I live in a 1906 terrace and hear EVERYTHING! But the dividing walls are one brick thick so it's no surprise!

When I was a teen we lived in a 1896 terrace and didn't hear anything! Depends on when and who they were built for really!

Thanx ladies, if we decide I view terraced perhaps I should pick 'busy' times of day to view
X

We can hear ours like creaking floorboards and doors closing etc but it doesnt bother me anymore tbh. These houses are quite old though

We can't hear either side of us at all (very thick walls, it's a Victorian terrace). However, it's a conversion and we are on the ground floor and we can hear loads from the flat above us (who have laminate floors) such as their music, arguements, constant rearranging of furniture (why?) and hoovering (dunno what they hoover, a rug?).

I live in a victorian terrace and I can sometimes hear the T.V on one side of the house and a girl talking on the phone when I'm in Ivys bedroom (but she has the loudest phone voice I have EVER HEARD) but I barely notice! Then again I grew up in London so if anything, silence freaks me out :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->