Anyone not getting a sensor mat monitor?

We aren't getting one either.

Actually, we don't really need one, cuz Bambino will be 4 months when we finally move out of our 1 bedroom, but we figured we'd get one anyway for when we have another baby. Ours is just going to be the normal, sound one. There's actually only 1 reciever with it, but that's all we need :)

Just thought I'd point out babies can and do die in the same room as their parents, doesnt matter if he/she is in the same room or not.

If there is one thing i urge parents to buy, its one of these. You can buy fancy prams, car seats, cot mobiles etc, but for £70 one of these could save your babies life, or at least give him/her a fighting chance. Sadly we all think it wont happen to us, but Im living proff that it does, and believe me, its not a nice place to be in.
I would much rather have 100 false alarms at night than a dead baby.You cannot watch them 24 hours a day, you need to sleep too. I put my baby to bed at 11pm and by 3am she had died, thats all it takes, it takes 4 minutes from your baby stopping breathing to death.
Im not saying that to scare anyone, but its something i feel so passionately about. I wish i could have the naivity and flippancy of some other people, unfortunately i will never be able to now.

I don't have one; I have regular monitors.

Elyse & I share a room though and she has a playpen set up downstairs so she's never too far away from me, so I find I never really use the monitors even.. also being 19 the cost of one wasn't really practical, seeing as I can't even afford to live on my own right now or anything really! She's also a baby who makes a lot of noise, like little sounds in her sleep, snores, etc. so, for me, the regular monitors will do.

I have one for the exact same reasons loraloo mentioned.

I am also planning on using mine at night when WE are sleeping as well as baby. Its all very well checking on them in the day but if your asleep at night how would you know if anything was wrong ?

OH said he was worried about false alarms and I told him he could bloody well go and sleep on sofa if its that much of a problem.

Obviously I haven't used it yet but I would think if the alarms were going off left right and centre the manufactors would be re-assesing the product.

BTW The angelcare one is on offer in Babies r us at the moment its £59.99 thats cheaper than some of the normal monitors I have seen.

i have the tommee tippee sensor mat it has never gone off falsely only ever goes off if i get him out to feed him when i've forgot to switch it off. i personally am soooo glad i have got it best thing i've bought for piece of mind.
there was a girl end of our street who's baby died at 18 weeks of sids just before xmas and her screams could be heard streets away, she was crying at her funeral "i should have got a monitor" i will never have to say that,
i also learnt baby cpr which i think should be taught in hospital before being discharged or at least offered baffles me they learn you to bath a baby but not cpr.
xx

Just out of interest how do you learn baby cpr, is it like a college course ?

I would like to do this.

i had one but just made paranoia!!! got rid of it just rely on my mummy instincts now!!

Personally, I'm planning on getting one this time round. I know with my first there was so many times I sat at the edge of her bed because she was so still looking with my finger by her nose, trying not to wake her but not being able to tell if she was breathing (which usually ended up with me giving her a little poke to double check!). I'd rather have false alarms and know it was super sensitive (already know I'll forget to turn it off during mid night feeds) but have the reassurance that if anything did happen we'd know as early as possible.

Far too technical for me so we've just got a "normal" sound monitor :)

Just out of interest how do you learn baby cpr, is it like a college course ?

I would like to do this.

You can take it through St. John Ambulance -

I took a standard first aid & CPR course through them, it cost $120 the first time and it's less to get recertified; but I think it tells you cost information on the websites? My course included infant CPR & choking.

I really want to get one as I know I will be a nurutic mother, I dont think I will get a ounce of sleepwith out one!

Whats the best brand? Do i still need to purchuse a baby monitor or is it all in one????

i have a tommee tippee one just plugs into the monitor and the pad goes under the mattress, i learnt cpr when i was a student nurse and recapped it from a book.
you can get dvd's though and some hv's do classes in some areas my area didnt but i think they should offer it it hospital when they show you to bath baby.

oh aunt was insistent on buying us one and i must say i was dead against it during my pregnancy i agreed to let her buy it knowing i could turn the breathing sensor off if i wanted...

now luisa is here i have to say its the best thing ever lol

maybe becos of my previous mc etc i was over anxious i found myself constantly checking she was breathing in the night (she is in a moses basket at end of our bed)

oh aunt brought monitor on 3rd day and i went from watching luisa to watching the flashing light on monitor :dohh:

now if i wake in night i can have reassuance..

it hasnt falsed alarmed once in 2 weeks we have hadf it except wen u take baby out an forget to turn it off :dohh::dohh:

we have the angel care one

hth xxx

the tommy tippe ones have two different types, one only decects movements not breathing theres a price diff of about 40 pounds

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->