Anyone pay for an educational psychiatrist?

Eternal

Three boys!
Reaction score
Ok, long story short but my 3.5 year old has some 'issues' which the school are struggling with, they, several health visitors, mental health services and now someone from educational authority who works with Autistic children all expressed concerns differing between autistic spectrum disorders to ADHD.

Each meeting they talk about next steps and someone says ill refer him to paediatric community doctor and then follow up no one has and say I would be better coming from x y z and it keeps going on.

My question is can I pay for an assessment and if something shows up with it be weighted as much as an assessment that went through the "proper" channels?

It's getting so unfair, my son is distressed at nursery and the teacher locked him behind a baby gate away from the other children yesterday as he was so upset by that, something needs done and I'm basically told I need to send him so they can build up a better picture of him but they can't do anything until he is older, in the meantime it seems unfair, he is too overstimulated by everything then lashes out which isn't good for him or other children!

Please help!

You canpay but from what uve heard from other homeschool mums it doesntbstand ifbyou want to use the report for school. If hes distressed so badly surly sending him is not healthy for him. Surely locking him behind a gatebis nit ok hes not a dog xx:hugs:

My son's paediatrician referred him to educational psychology before he was diagnosed.

You could get in touch with the special needs department in your education board, they might be able to tell you if you can pay for a private assessment. But you shouldn't have to. Go to whoever sees your son now and just straight tell them that he needs assessed by an ed. psychologist.

Could he nursery teacher not request that he gets assessed?

The school won't until he is full time which will be a year in September, and I just don't think that's right. I've got lots of people applying pressure but the school go on and go about his behaviour but won't do anything about it and insist he go. He has smashed windows, but, hit and hurt other children, other children are scared of him and he is just hyper as can be when he comes away. The whole thing is just too over stimulating for him!

No, if you go for private diagnosis it can limit your access to services as most will request an NHS diagnosis

We looked into this with jack and found out autism was being diagnosed in certain places with the child being assessed once, with barely any history given so decided against it as obviously we wanted the correct diagnosis not just A diagnosis

No, if you go for private diagnosis it can limit your access to services as most will request an NHS diagnosis

We looked into this with jack and found out autism was being diagnosed in certain places with the child being assessed once, with barely any history given so decided against it as obviously we wanted the correct diagnosis not just A diagnosis

Very true, I just want him to get help at nursery and not be labeled naughty and locked behind a gate.

We had a private diagnosis and has not limited us at all, in fact I couldnt get hos statement till we had the private diagnosis too as the nhs was diagnosis of autism but very vague! Best 3k ever spent. We also went private with occupational therapy x

P.s if you go private ONLY go to a NAS credited one. Ours was in bromley and was a 3day assesment on top of a previous speech and language test. It was very draining but they spent more time with m in 3 days than the nhs team ever did, they just dragged it out with 7 30min appointments over 3yrs!

We had a private diagnosis and has not limited us at all, in fact I couldnt get hos statement till we had the private diagnosis too as the nhs was diagnosis of autism but very vague! Best 3k ever spent. We also went private with occupational therapy x

P.s if you go private ONLY go to a NAS credited one. Ours was in bromley and was a 3day assesment on top of a previous speech and language test. It was very draining but they spent more time with m in 3 days than the nhs team ever did, they just dragged it out with 7 30min appointments over 3yrs!

£3000? I was thinking more like £300! No chance I can afford £3000!

It's difficult as everything takes sooo long and he is suffering at school in the meantime.

You can get cheaper assessments I think? We needed full detailed so the LEA could fine tooth my application and not waggle out of it. My son still struggles struggles though!? School does not always follow the statement which is also another legal battle lol.

HAs he got an IEP? Or equivalent? X

You can get cheaper assessments I think? We needed full detailed so the LEA could fine tooth my application and not waggle out of it. My son still struggles struggles though!? School does not always follow the statement which is also another legal battle lol.

HAs he got an IEP? Or equivalent? X

I'm new to all this, IEP?

My son has some behavioural issues, gets very over stimulated to things, we had people saying ADHD to us for over a year, buy since mental health adolescent services and autism support teachers have been asked to get involved they have said he has some autistic traits. But school cannot manage him,they lock him behind a baby gate at nursery or scream at him.

Wow really? That is not on! Id probably take him out? Can you put him anywhere else?

HAve you had contact with portage?

IEP is his set needs and progress. It is not legal binding like a statement but it will be a clear line if he is hitting targets (they can be emotional, social or educational) x

No, but I've got a meeting with the SENCO when terms back, I'm in half minds to pull him out or not, I will be making it clear the SENCO, who so also the deputy head, that it is not acceptable to do that and I will not tolerate them bullying my child.

I've contacted lea directly before regarding discrimination? Could you go direct? X

I could, but I'm going to speak to the SENCO again and see what she has to say first, it's a school on my door step so even if I pull Sam out the twins will probably go there so don't want to make waves if it can be sorted out in a reasonable manner, and until we has a diagnosis it's hard to tell what support he will need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->