• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Anyone planning on NOT vaccinating your baby?

With you all the way Jenny_J - these diseases do exist and I have seen them in both kids and unvaccinated adults. I've also seen whooping cough kill babies. Vaccines are there for a reason. Opting out a flu vac is one thing. If you decide to separate vacs out that's fine but denying your child immunity seems wrong to me.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions which I respect =)

I work in a family practice doctor's office. Most of our kids are on the normal vaccine schedule recommended by the government. I've only seen one child that's had a reaction to a vaccine, and they were able to determine which one, so he won't get that vaccine again and is fine now. I do personally trust medicine in general, but I'm not going to sit here and give opinions on anyone else's choices - it's none of my business. I am planning on fully vaccinating my daughter and any future children, however I am going to do a modified schedule (no more than 2 shots at once) because my personal thought is that if she were to have a reaction I'd like to have a good idea which vaccine caused it. Instead of having her be given up to 8 vaccinations at once (including the combo vaccines such as Pentacel and Dtap).

I really hate these debates, and was hoping this question would be for people who chose NOT to vaccinate and have a proper discussion.

People act like kids who are not vaccinate are walking around with diseases, they're not, in fact they are very healthy. Also many people who state that all kids should be vaccinate, or it's rude or horrible if someone doesn't, normally hasn't done long term research. I see a lot of misinformation in this thread.

* You can look up vaccine history and see that the diseases were on the decline already. Proper hygeine, learning about nutrition, Doctors wearing gloves during examinations, clean drinking water, and people not living 15 to a household anymore are some of the things that contributed to the decline in those diseases. Vaccines help, but they are not the sole reason, nor are they the major reason.

* The vaccines do not get re made every year. The flu vaccine does, but not the regular ones. The only thing they've done different is take out thirmesol in most of the vaccines, but they didn't completely remake them, they are still the same ones my ds1 had 6 years ago.

* Most people in the western societies won't know people who get these diseases, it's not because of the vaccines solely, it's because the western world has better hygeine practices. The places where you DO find these diseases don't have many Doctors, do not have access to clean drinking water, live is squalor and do not have a wide variety of foods. And guess what? Those places also have access to vaccines due to multiple charities (UNICEF for example).

* Most of the diseases the vaccines are suppose to prevent are not dangerous for majority of people.

* Diseases can and will manifest into different strains that will be antibiotic resistent. It is not because of the non--vaccinators, it's because of the vaccines. That's how things manifest, we've seen it with staph infections already.

* You cannot tell a parent that the diseases are worse than the vaccine itself, because that's simply NOT true to all people. My child was having non-febrile seizures after his vaccines, he was not responding to anything, couldn't eat, etc. That was very dangerous. Having the chicken pox would have likely been a heck of a lot better than the reaction he had to the vaccine.

* Each family has to decide what is best for them. Vaccines are not the most wonderful thing in the world, they have risks, very dangerous risks to some of the population. You cannot also balme everything on unvaccinated people because research shows that many times it's the vaccinated people spreading things around since it masks the disease, doesn't prevent it.

anyone who thinks having a child with chicken pox is better than having the vaccine is an idiot IMO, I have a 6 year old with eczema and when she got chicken pox from school they all got it at once. It spread like wildfire. Her skin condition meant that she suffered more, I counted 300 spots on her tummy alone, and I'm not over reacting. I would put up a pic if this were a private thread. She was so sick she had high fevers and couldnt eat or drink much and bend, she had to lay still on the sofa if she bent a pox would burst and cause her immense pain, she had to pee in a bowl because she sat on the toilet and popped a load of pox which then had to be cleaned so they didn't become infected which was even more painful for her. She screamed so much when we put the creams on that I cried, I had to put the cream in a spray bottle in the end and spray her becuase if I touched her she screamed.

If there was a vaccine in the UK for free offered to children on the NHS I would beg parents to take it.. why would you put your child through that pain and suffering when a simple jab in the arm can prevent it??

They are constantly researching and making vaccines better maybe not every year but they do so often. What about places like India, not just africa, people who live in tin sheds, they have no money for anything let alone vaccines. We have people from all over the world coming in and their health systems are not always as good as ours or free so it's not logical to think that they are all safe.
No one should say that unvaxed kids are walking illnesses BUT with many of the illnesses we vaccinate against they have an incubation period where the child has no or little symptoms usually during their most contagious phase. Then it has already been spread.
If you choose to vaccinate then that is great but if not that is your choice.

also forgot to mention that my daughter is now scarred for life because her eczema means her skin is dry it didn't heal the scabs as well, despite bio oil and coacoa butters. so she has hundred of tiny scars over her chest and back which could be there forever, I'm hoping they will heal over as she grows up.

anyone who thinks having a child with chicken pox is better than having the vaccine is an idiot IMO, I have a 6 year old with eczema and when she got chicken pox from school they all got it at once. It spread like wildfire. Her skin condition meant that she suffered more, I counted 300 spots on her tummy alone, and I'm not over reacting. I would put up a pic if this were a private thread. She was so sick she had high fevers and couldnt eat or drink much and bend, she had to lay still on the sofa if she bent a pox would burst and cause her immense pain, she had to pee in a bowl because she sat on the toilet and popped a load of pox which then had to be cleaned so they didn't become infected which was even more painful for her. She screamed so much when we put the creams on that I cried, I had to put the cream in a spray bottle in the end and spray her becuase if I touched her she screamed.

If there was a vaccine in the UK for free offered to children on the NHS I would beg parents to take it.. why would you put your child through that pain and suffering when a simple jab in the arm can prevent it??

I'm sorry your daughter had such a horrible time with the chicken pox. You do have to remember she had other conditions besides the chicken pox.

I am one of those who say it isn't such a big deal, because I had them. I had the chicken pox when I was 8 years old. I never ran a high fever, I didn't even take oatmeal baths or anything (my sister did). I didn't spend any time in bed. I itched, that was it. I have some scars from the pox, but nothing major. The worst thing that happened was my 9th birthday party was postponed and changed to a skating rink party instead of the slumber party it was supposed to be.

Don't call me an idiot just because my immune system was able to fight the pox well. I don't appreciate you calling me an idiot, I speak from PERSONAL experience. I remember what it felt like, personally, myself.

I have my children vaccinated. I always worry about reactions and things, but thankfully mine have all been fine.

There are a lot of different studies, opinions, etc and at the end of the day we make our own choices. However, I do know that after the MMR scaremongering a few years back, loads of kids weren't vaccinated in our area, and now there is a measles outbreak with kids getting really ill.

I apoligise for saying anyone who says...... is an idiot.. that was a bit harsh. So I take it back. I understnad my child has a skin condition which caused her to have a worse case than your average kid but seeing her in so much pain honestly broke my heart.

Yeah I'm an idiot because I'd rather my child have the chicken pox, which for him wouldn't be more than a mild case, than suffer the seizure, the ambulance ride, the horrible vomiting, and then all the tests that came after that he went through all because of a vaccine that was suppose to keep him healthy and safe. Yup total idiot here. Not to mention that I've done many years of research and even have a science background through college. Again, total idiot I am.

I apoligise for saying anyone who says...... is an idiot.. that was a bit harsh. So I take it back. I understnad my child has a skin condition which caused her to have a worse case than your average kid but seeing her in so much pain honestly broke my heart.

And it breaks other mom's hearts to see their children suffer dangerous reactions to a vaccine(s) and then having to be told that we're irresponsible and we're basically going to bring the black plaque to everyone because we made a choice different than the mass of society. To be ripped apart in forums, in real life, in blogs, on the news, in documentaries. To be told our kids are basically diseased and that other parents think that they shouldn't be allowed in public. It hurts, and people like me are trying to protect our children, the same way you protect yours, but we have to do it differently. I can't rely on the community to protect my child, nor can I rely on a vaccine to protect my child. Unless you've been there and seen the harm a single vaccine can do (not to mention when a number of vaccines are given at one time) it's easy to judge.

When I was 3 I went for my pre school boosters.. baring in mind it was the early 90s then and instead of using new needles they just steralised them and re used them. I got my vaccines in my bum cheek and went home... the next day I looked like a pregnant toddler. My parents said I was getting bigger before their eyes.. They rushed me to hospital and in that time I had developed a huge red blotchy rash across my hip where my appendix is.. I spent the next week in hospital on a drip plus a catheter with antibiotics and imflammatory drugs constantly given through the day and night.. For a child of three that is TERRIFYING.. I screamed my head off everytime the nurse came.. Thankfully I was fine (obviously) after a week and could go home safe and well. Ok so its not the same as a reaction to the vaccine its self but to the fact that my doctor used a needle on me from a pervious patient but I DO understand the effects that had on my parents and on me because I can no longer allow myself or my children to have a vaccine without first seeing the needles in sealed packets before taking the injection.... and I STILL think the vaccine is better to have than the illness

well im completely uneducated on this topic so..... not going to weigh in and be the ass. just wanted to add tho in todays paper (in Ontario, Canada)there's a blurb about schoolchildren without up to date vaccines to be suspended from school?! unless their parents have documents pertaining to religious reasons... thought that was interesting. :coffee:

The vast majority of people dont have bad reactions to vaccinations.

For the ones that do have these reactions it is totally understandable to not get them done, or search for alternatives.

good infection control and a healthy life style will help your immune system yes. But im sure it would not stop you catching a very contagious virus that is in the air around you.

^ Yes the vast majority don't have bad reactions, but the vast majority also vaccinate so I am always confused why so many people get all riled up by the few that do not vaccinate. It's like only 1-5% and studies show that out break rates are not on an increase because of unvaccinated kids and adults. We rarely get sick, kids have not had a illness except for a mild sniffle that lasted no more than 2 days.

well im completely uneducated on this topic so..... not going to weigh in and be the ass. just wanted to add tho in todays paper (in Ontario, Canada)there's a blurb about schoolchildren without up to date vaccines to be suspended from school?! unless their parents have documents pertaining to religious reasons... thought that was interesting. :coffee:

Most public schools are like that. You either have to be up to date with vaccines or have an exemption. Where I live you can either have a religious exemption or a philosophical exemption. They don't care if your kid is unvaccinated but they just need paperwork saying you decline vaccines. Mainly it is because in the case if there was an outbreak the unvaccinated children need to be sent home.

Most public schools are like that. You either have to be up to date with vaccines or have an exemption. Where I live you can either have a religious exemption or a philosophical exemption. They don't care if your kid is unvaccinated but they just need paperwork saying you decline vaccines. Mainly it is because in the case if there was an outbreak the unvaccinated children need to be sent home.

Same here. It is also so if there is an outbreak and your child gets sick, they can say you knew the risks when you got the exemption. I had to get one when I went to college.

hmmm I see. but wouldn't it be wise to send everyone home if an outbreak occurred, seeing that from what ive read on this thread so far ppl with vaccines are getting the diseases anyways? just thinking aloud...

hmmm I see. but wouldn't it be wise to send everyone home if an outbreak occurred, seeing that from what ive read on this thread so far ppl with vaccines are getting the diseases anyways? just thinking aloud...

Yes that would make sense, but it seems that most people either don't care what research says or don't read it.

I thought that too, but school policy is that vaccines prevent disease (their reasoning for requiring them) and only the non-vaxxed kids go home. I guess if it ever happens (I never was asked to go home) we will see if the disease continues to spread amongst the vaxx'd kids, or dies out when the non-vaxx'd leave?

I thought that too, but school policy is that vaccines prevent disease (their reasoning for requiring them) and only the non-vaxxed kids go home. I guess if it ever happens (I never was asked to go home) we will see if the disease continues to spread amongst the vaxx'd kids, or dies out when the non-vaxx'd leave?

In my mom's town some of the schools closed because of whooping cough outbreak. It was found that it was spreading against the vaccinated, the unvaccinated did not get sick. That happened last year and the year before in a different state.

My sister is brain damaged from the whooping cough vaccine....it was over 50 years ago-she had a seizure immediately afterwards and then the damage was done-at 6 months my father says she was perfectly healthy until she had the vaccine. He had his case won at a tribunal. This scares me terribly as I am frightened to give my baby the vaccine incase its genetically a problem. ..but if I don't they could get whopping cough and women can't state enough about how dangerous this can be. Of course brain damage is worse...but all I can say is when I discuss this issue with my consultant I hope there will be a way my baby can be checked regularly if he doesn't get the vaccine (ie not turned away with me being told it's just a cough). I don't know what to do :-( I was never given the vaccine and my mum is strongly advising me to do the same with my baby.

The new whopping cough vaccine is a different type to the old cellular one, its not without its risks of course but the risk of a serious reaction or brain damage with the new version are incredibly slim in comparison. I didn't have the whopping cough vaccine as a baby as in those days it was the cellular version and there was a genetic element involved in the risk of a reaction occurring, as epilepsy does occur in some of my dad's side of the family it was decided it was too risky for us to have it xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->