Anyone planning on vba2c?

DocMcStuffins

Cautiously expecting #3
Reaction score
I just had my booking appointment with my midwife which went great. Will have my early scan within the next 2 weeks so that's all good. Fingers crossed all will be well then.

Anyway, with my dd1 I had a emergency c section after failing to progress (waters had broken, contractions not strong enough, induced via drip, got to 7cm but after over 3 days in labour and since waters had gone it was c section), then with my dd2 I chose to have an elective section because my first labour was still quite fresh and raw. I dont regret my elective at all, in fact I loved it. It was so calm and perfect.

We'll anyway today I totally expected not to even be given the choice to vbac but my midwife said although the risks go up slightly after 2 c sections, there's no reason to rule it out and it will be entirely my choice. I hadn't even considered it and to be honest I'm still 80/20 swaying towards another planned c section, but just wondered if there is anyone here who has also had 2 previous c sections?

What do you plan on doing this time? Or has anyone HAD a vba2c?

Thanks!

X

Hi I've also had 2 sections and am having the same dilemma as you!

I was surprised at my booking in appointment that the midwife suggested I could try for a vbac after having had 2 sections.

My first sounds quite similar to your experience - spontaneous labour, got to 7cm then failed to progress, given drugs and still no progress (it had been 2 days by this point), baby got distressed and hb was dipping (they found after he was stuck) so whipped in for a emcs.

My second was 'elective' as basically I didn't start in labour. I was 41+3 and had 2 sweeps but no sign of anything happening.

The consultant said he wouldn't induce with my second but since then we've moved house and in this area they can sort of induce me by trying to dilate cervix and pop waters.

I'm just not sure what to do! I desperately don't want to go so far overdue again to end up with a section and I would love a vbac. But I'm scared baby could end up stuck again and basically putting it at unnecessary risk when I could just have a section again.

I am praying it all just happens naturally and labour starts at 37-39 weeks and therefore I can avoid making a decision!!! :rofl:

Yeah my midwife said that they wouldn't even consider inducing me or anything this time and I would be booked in for a c section at 38-39 weeks (I was booked in at 38+2 last time) and she said they wouldn't let me go past 39 weeks at the latest. She said if I wanted to I could just see if I go naturally before my section date and if nothing's happened then just go for the section. That was she said I get to try all the natural ways to bring on labour from 37 weeks but if nothing's happening by say 38+2 then I have my scheduled section.

Got ages to decide yet and will do some research on it but it's very tempting to just go with a nice easy c section! Lol

X

I have a friend who had 2 c-sections within 18 months and has since gone on to have 2 VBACs. She actually prefers the VBAC because the recovery time is way less and recovery itself is alot easier (no incision to have to tend, up and about earlier). I was surprised not only because she's had 2 c-sections in a row but also because her kids tend to be closer (18 months-ish). But the doctor hasn't worried one bit.

Having a shorter recovery time is one of the main reasons that i'd love a vba2c. That and avoiding having my stomach muscles cut again! I don't think I'll ever have a flat stomach again, but after last time I was sore for months and months after ds2. I tried every way i could last time to get labour started, all the old wives tales & sweeps. It just didn't start naturally and I was 10 days overdue with both boys, that's what worries me. I think I just need to find out more about how this trust are saying they could help with a vba2c.

See I'm not at all worried about the recovery time. After both my c sections I was up and about really quickly, only on painkillers for the first night. After my elective I was out of hospital in less that 24 hours and just had no pain at all.

I was out and about with baby and my eldest within a couple of days of being home and didn't even notice my scar etc.

So it's not that that bothers me as I've know friends of mine that had natural births be in far more pain for longer and unable to even sit down without being in agony. But I just don't want to get my hopes up of a normal birth and then find the same thing happens as first time and I go into labour but it doesn't progress and I end up with an emergency one anyway. I know there's no way to know what will happen though.

X

I'm kind of in the same boat but only had one emcs after a botched induction..got to 9cm and they cocked up the drip so ended up with a section then got an infection and took weeks to recover..so I'm in two minds over elective c section or vbac I'd love a natural birth but can't decide if its safer for c section :s

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->