Anyone pregnant with IBS?

christina1612

Reaction score
Hi ladies

we are currently ttc no2. I've had ibs ever since I had my little boy after a c section. I currently take mebeverine and peppermint oil and before we started ttc i spoke to my doctor who advised me that neither are safe during pregnancy so I've stopped using them. However its been awful, pains and cramps and i may as well live on the toilet some evenings (sorry for tmi). Does anyone else have this or been pregnant with it? I'm so worried that it will get even worse and i wont even be able to leave the house! Is there anything i can take that safe?Thanks in advance

I have it as well. I'm now 6 weeks with #2. Plus I just had my gallbladder removed back in March. Some days it's like I live in the bathroom, but luckily I have more good days than bad. I try to take probiotics and watch what I eat. Some foods affect me differently than others, so I try to avoid anything that I know causes issues(fatty foods, leafy greens, etc.) You may talk to your doctor about medications that may be safe if it's really severe.

Hi ladies

we are currently ttc no2. I've had ibs ever since I had my little boy after a c section. I currently take mebeverine and peppermint oil and before we started ttc i spoke to my doctor who advised me that neither are safe during pregnancy so I've stopped using them. However its been awful, pains and cramps and i may as well live on the toilet some evenings (sorry for tmi). Does anyone else have this or been pregnant with it? I'm so worried that it will get even worse and i wont even be able to leave the house! Is there anything i can take that safe?Thanks in advance

Hey I don't have IBS but I have heaps of food issues, cant have dairy, wheat, soy etc (Maybe I just haven't been diagnosed with IBS yet) anyway I pretty much live on this product called 'De gas' I'm not sure if it's sold anywhere but Australia. But its worth a look up. It works the same as peppermint oil and its completely pregnancy friendly.

I am currently pregnant at 12 weeks with IBS also, I was taking Lomotil before becoming pregnant. Mine has also been terrible, despite hoping otherwise with the amount of iron in these prenatals! My OB has advised me that Imodium A-D is safe during pregnancy, but I would consult with yours to make sure. I take it when days are impossible and I have no choice but to work. Best advice is to stay hydrated, stay away from fatty high fat foods, and supplement with probiotics (good belly is a great brand).
Best of luck.

I'm 9 weeks with it. And it was terrible for the first few weeks. I lived in the toilet and even had an accident once trying to get home :blush: but it has eased up some now. I still get the cramps and loose stool, but it's no where near like it was. My doctor told me the immodium wasn't safe. Said it was class c which means it had shown side effects to the fetus in animal testing, but there was insufficient testing in humans.

There is a difference in the active ingredients between Imodium (multi symptom) and Imodium AD. I would talk to your doctor about it, and get his/her opinion on it.

How peppermint oil is bad is beyond me???? I'd speak to a nutritionist or do a little research of your own. You could drink peppermint tea or eat peppermint sweets!! It has to be the essential oil though, not flavour.

Fennel has the same effect as peppermint (just not quite as strong) so I'd certainly try that as well as an alternative.

hey hun am preg with bubs no3. With my first to i had bad abdo pains an got early scans at 7weeks. This preg so far gd. I setled after 12weeks. Ive had ibs since i did my exams at school 5+years. The blamed ibs for the pain. I havent taken meds in years as when i go take them pains gone lol.my sons now 2yrs 4months an daughters 1yr 4months. my ibs tends make my periods worse i found meds took little pain away an pain killers the rest. I also think i looked up ibs when preg an found meds not good when prego. Do u know what sets yours off, i found eating more fibre helped mine. Maybe try peppermint tea its safe when preg.

hey, this is my 2nd baby its been on and off with me throughout my pregnancy and im now 18weeks but i eat everything i feel like eating and deal with the conciquences. Ive been told that cutting out fatty food and chocolate helps alot. I ate chocolate at the start of my pregnancy and use to get up at 5am with horible pains and couldnt get off the toilet sorry tmi.. so far I still get the pains and inconsistant bowel motions but its not so bad i cant go out, if anything your more likely to get constipated in pregnancy.. i didnt go for a week i was on prunes for 2days lol

I had IBS until my last pregnancy. During 1st tri it went the complete opposite and I ended up with severe constipation for the rest of the pregnancy and ended up with piles they had to operate on in 3rd tri so pregnancy can actually change things completely!

Thanks ladies. Gonna speak to them tomorrow and get a second opinion, I'm sure peppermint oil should still be ok, though i am planning to cut down on a few things in my diet. I think it may be dairy as cheese and chocolate seem to cause problems, also rich gravy meals like cottage pie etc or gravy made from meat juices. Just gonna try some simple meals and see what happens. Yeah I've heard that pregnancy can make it go either way! Thanks for all your advice x

Hello, IBS symptoms have hit me good this morning! :(
I haven't officially been diagnosed because my Dr had me running around doing tests to rule out other complications. I decided to do a little cleanse for a week eating only chicken broth, watermelon, prunes, pumpkin seeds, and drinking lots of water. I hadn't had problems since then! Until now that I'm pregnant and have a tilted uterus. Not sure if there is a correlation or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->