Anyone refused the downs test

Perfect_pink

Reaction score
As the title says really, we talked about it and decided either way it wouldnt matter to us so have decided against it.

Personally I have and always will have the test done, It is obv very rare for there to be anything wrong, but If there is a problem and I kept the baby, I would want to know for sure what I am dealing with so I could prepare myself and research up on things I will need to know. x

i am not having any of the tests, i'd be keeping the baby regardless xx

We have decided against it. It woudln't matter to us either way. I used to work in a sen school, so have some idea of what to expect. We didn't have it done with the boys either. I worry that it will cause more harm to the unborn.

I've had the test, althought i would NEVER abort the baby, i'd just want to prepare myself and get all the right knowledge!

We are both very aware of downs as its in both our extended familys so have grew up with it and it wouldnt make the slightest difference, i had the same look as you and would like to be prepaird but when i had a chat with my midwife she did come up with a valid point, if i had the test and it came back as high risk and then would lead to the prosedure of having the needle into your stomache to the baby which i point blank said i wouldnt have, so in that case id cause unessary worry till im due to find out, and also she said If i didnt have it, it would be a high chance it would be picked up anyway due to the problems that comes with downs, eg heart problems etc, i just wanted to see other peoples views x

We going for the first test which is just a measurement, to understand the risk factor. But I'm not sure I would want the follow up test, as I understand there is a (small) chance of harming the baby. It's a really tough choice x x

We are both very aware of downs as its in both our extended familys so have grew up with it and it wouldnt make the slightest difference, i had the same look as you and would like to be prepaird but when i had a chat with my midwife she did come up with a valid point, if i had the test and it came back as high risk and then would lead to the prosedure of having the needle into your stomache to the baby which i point blank said i wouldnt have, so in that case id cause unessary worry till im due to find out, and also she said If i didnt have it, it would be a high chance it would be picked up anyway due to the problems that comes with downs, eg heart problems etc, i just wanted to see other peoples views x

This is true, the test only tells you what your risk is, the only way to find out 100% is an Amnio which carries the risk of miscarriage....not a risk i would be prepared to take xxx

I completly agree lora, i could never put my baby at risk for something that wouldnt matter in the end anyway x

I'm having the blood test so that if I am a very high risk I can prepare myself for what might be. We decided against the amnio as we would go ahead with the pregnancy regardless and I don't want to risk mc, even if it is only 1%.

I'm a believer of what will be will be :)

Its 1 in a 100 that it causes mc

Thanks, it good to know the stats. In our family my MIL loss a baby to this test (although that was about 25 years ago!) so I've naturally been very put off by it. I just don't know I would want to take the chance, even if 99% of tests are fine. x x

I'm having the blood test so that if I am a very high risk I can prepare myself for what might be. We decided against the amnio as we would go ahead with the pregnancy regardless and I don't want to risk mc, even if it is only 1%.

But, say if the test came back as a 1 in 3 chance your baby had DS, would you not just spend the whole pregnany worrying? When baby is probably fine? I know I would :flower:

I feel the same as a lot of you ladies - I would not want to go ahead with the amnio due to the risk of miscarriage (don't quote me but I thought it was 2 in 100), so I don't want to go ahead with the blood test which could potentially make me spend the rest of the pregnancy worrying or be put in the awkward position of 'do we do the test or don't we?'
Me and DH both agreed on this after my booking in appointment when my MW explained the procedure.
Obviously it's a very personal choice and it seems that most people do go ahead with the tests just to be prepared x

But, say if the test came back as a 1 in 3 chance your baby had DS, would you not just spend the whole pregnany worrying? When baby is probably fine? I know I would :flower:

No, I'd much rather know, especially if it was a 1 in 3 chance. I wouldn't spend the rest of the pregnancy worrying, I would spend it researching and preparing myself. Then if I had a healthy baby then that would be great, or if I had a baby with downs I would be prepared for it.

I never had the tests with my son however this time i will because i also have my son to consider, im not saying i would not keep the baby but i would need to make sure we fully understood everything and what help there is ect and explain to my son that although we are having a new baby he/she will not be the same as you ect

Nope didn't have it with my son and not having it now there is no way Id do an amnio or abort so no reason for having it plus my insurance does not cover it so Id be paying out of pocket for testing that wouldnt make any difference :shrug:

Hi Ladies :flower:

I had to make this decision at my first midwife appointment last Friday and decided against any testing. I have always said I wouldn't want an amnio or anything invasive like that. I was going to have the NT scan and blood test until the mw informed me that, if I have those, the hospital then expect you to have the amnio if you come back as high risk as it is either 'all' or 'nothing'. I could definitely not abort any child of mine, no matter if there was something wrong, so I decided against any tests at all.

I also have a couple of friends who have been classified as high risk and spent most of their pregnancies worrying and their :baby:'s were perfect in the end. I'm leaving it in the hands of God x

I can understand both sides of the argument. I think that this is a personal choice people need to do what they feel is right for themselves. Personally, I did not get the blood test done during my last pregnancy and I will not be getting it done during this pregnancy either. My OH and I decided that it we would not be prepared to take the risk of amino test and we want this baby reguardless, having blood test done could potentially lead to lots of worrying and stressing during pregnancy which I would not want and ultimately isn't good for the baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->