Anyone studying with Open Uni?

Kimboowee

Complete
Reaction score
I'm looking to do 2 courses with them but wondering what the tutor support is like, would you recommend them? Worth the money ect?

I'm not sure whether I'd be better off with college

I'm looking to do k101 healthcare and sk277 biology x

I've done 2 OU courses and loved them. I got good support from my tutor and I found them both very interesting.

I am starting with the OU in February. So excited.

My MIL is in her second year and a friend is starting his fourth and they both love it.

I would strongly recommend doing it and see if you qualify for financial support. https://css2.open.ac.uk/fafcalculator/eligibility.aspx You only have to the fifteenth to get the application in though for the K101 course. I think if you are a single person you are entitled to get it if you earn £18,000 or less and a couple is £33,000 but I could be wrong with the figures. But please, look into it.

Good luck. X

P.S If you go with K101 then you will be starting the same day as me. Lol.

Hi,

Yup I hope to complete my degree with the OU next year. I definitely recommend it! The books are top notch (course-specific text books included in cost of the course, rather than having to separately buy a bunch of expensive books!), the tutors I've had have been fantastic, it's far better value for money than 'normal' uni. It's well worth applying for financial help as Princess Lou said.

I hope this helps, there's a OU discussion thread (link is in my signature if you'd like to pop over :))

My dad did a degree with Open Uni, he absolutely loved it. It took a while as he had to do various courses first before starting the degree. He then did the Masters part afterwards. He would recommend it

My MIL is in her second year and a friend is starting his fourth and they both love it.

I would strongly recommend doing it and see if you qualify for financial support. https://css2.open.ac.uk/fafcalculator/eligibility.aspx You only have to the fifteenth to get the application in though for the K101 course. I think if you are a single person you are entitled to get it if you earn £18,000 or less and a couple is £33,000 but I could be wrong with the figures. But please, look into it.

Good luck. X

Yay someone else doing it! I'm waiting for the Nottingham uni to get back to me to see if its accepted on the midwifery course. Been checking my emails all day lol - done the entitlement thingy online and looks like I would get it for free, big weight off my shoulders!

Good luck. X

Yay someone else doing it! I'm waiting for the Nottingham uni to get back to me to see if its accepted on the midwifery course. Been checking my emails all day lol - done the entitlement thingy online and looks like I would get it for free, big weight off my shoulders!

If you can, apply now for the course and financial support. You don't complete registration until you find out if you have been awarded the support and hopefully by that time, you will know if it;s the right thing to do. Especially as the closing date is in 10 days, you don't want to miss out just because you hesitated. You can always change your mind about doing it but if you wait too long then you have to wait for another year.

Good luck.
PS. An e-mail was sent to me earlier with a link that may be helpful to you.

Dear student,

Every year ‘Student Services’ holds forums to welcome new students to The Open University. I’m pleased to say this year’s ‘Start studying …’ forums have now opened.

There are seven forums for those studying: the arts; health; languages; maths and computing, technology, science; and social sciences and education. You can get to them using this address:

https://learn.open.ac.uk/site/student-services

Please do drop by, say hello and share your thoughts and hopes for your upcoming studies. You will meet other new students and gain useful study tips from the moderators.

The forums are open now so do pay a visit … in the meantime, good luck with preparing for your studies!

Student Services

I'm doing a history Degree with the OU at the moment, i think the material is awesome, also its not as "cut off" as you would think, i don't go, but we have at least one tutorial a month, in a college not far from where i live, but the beauty is that its optional, and i manage without it, but its nice to have the option :)

I'm starting in Feb too!! So much easier with a child.. was doing nursing in September but had to stop due to nursery fees £140 per week!! and also with my daughter catching all sorts of bugs the nursery wouldn't let her in for 24-48 hours after so, and my tutor was useless!! so gave up really felt bad but found Open uni and I can't wait to join!! xx

Good luck. X

I'm doing K101 Too!! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->