Anyone take Doxycycline?

Steph32

Reaction score
The doctor said my culture came back positive for ureaplamsa which can be associated with miscarriage although the relationship is not clear. So I have to take a course of Doxycycline for 10 days... I am worried about the effect on the baby... Is it a safe medication to take, has anyone had to take it while pregnant? I am 5 weeks, and I am concerned about the development of the fetus...

Are you sure is doxycycline? Doxycycline is not considered safe for pregnant women. It is a category D drug. Surely there are other antibiotics that can be prescribed.

I havent taken it while pregnant, but I took it after my mc as they thought I was developing an infection and I can tell you it is a pretty strong antibiotic and it wiped me right out.

Good luck with it. Im sure if you google it you will find if it is safe to take while preg.

Yes it is doxycycline. The doctor said it was safe but then when I looked it up it said it was contraindicated in pregnancy. I'm really worried and I don't know what to do, I hope there is an alternative that will be effective.

I would tell the doctor what you found and your concerns. Sometimes alternatives cannot be found to effectively treat a problem...but it is definitely something you want to examine. Category C drugs are typically okay, but once you get to category D, there is evidence of real fetal damage.

Has anyone else ever had a ureaplasma infection?

what a difficult situation to be in- i hope you find a solution which doesnt put you or bubs at risk xxx

Doxycycline is a definite no during pregnancy. I took it about a month before and they had a big warning on the label not to take it if you are pregnant. The MW told me to check this website, https://www.safefetus.com, to see what is safe to take.

So my RE said that it is not safe in the 2nd and 3rd trimester due to effects on the formation of the bones, but it is perfectly safe in the 1st trimester. She says she's given it to many of her pregnant patients with no ill effect on the fetus. Of course I still worry about any small risks because I try to stay away from all medication unless absolutely necessary (even when not pregnant). But I also don't know how big the risk of miscarriage is from the ureaplasma bacteria. I feel like I'm taking a risk either way, it's like what is the better of 2 evils?

Bump... anyone else? I'm desperate to hear from someone who took it in the first trimester and their baby turned out fine!

Steph...doxycycline is part of the tetracycline class of antibiotics. It is unsafe in later pregnancy because of the effects it can have on babies' teeth (discoloration). It also appears to be more of a issue when someone is on the drug for a long period of time--which will not be the case in treating your acute infection. Still, I understand your concerns because you probably worry that if it can cause problems later in pregnancy (that we know of), maybe it can do damage in early pregnancy that we just haven't been able to establish as of yet.

I just don't know what to do, if my baby is harmed in any way from the doxy I wouldn't never be able to forgive myself...

Maybe call the pharmacist and ask about the drug. Then call another pharmacist and ask. Do this a few times, and you will have some more information. If they all tell you it is fine in early pregnancy, at this point, I would feel confident taking it for the short period of time you are prescribed it. If you get negative feedback, I would go to the doctor and ask if there is anything else you can take. (also, ask the pharmacist this question, too.) It is the pharmacist's job to know drug interactions and contraindications.

Sorry my grammar is not so good typing on my phone...

Yeah I talked to the pharmacist when I picked up the meds yesterday. She didn't really tell me anything new, just the standard information found online. That it IS category D, can cause teeth discoloration and bone malformation in the 2nd trimester, and NOT enough studies done to say that it is perfectly safe in 1st trimester. That's not good enough for me! But she said if the infection warrants treatment then it's better to take it. Of course most doctors and pharmacists are going to say so, although some holistic practitioners may feel differently (which I've always tended to lean toward), so I'm caught in the middle here.

I think I'm going to hop over to the 3rd trimester board and see if any ladies there took this in early pregnancy...

I was taking a class C drug for acne during my first trimester. I didn't realize i was a class C, when I did...I discontinued it. However, if it had been for an infection (which I was using to treat for a limited period of time) I would have continued with the medication. I did a cost-benefit analysis. For me, the medication was for something I didn't need to treat (acne), there were other safer alternatives, and I would be on the drug for a long period of time. It just didn't make sense to continue with it. However, in your situation...your cost-benefit analysis is different. you do need to treat your infection, there may not be adequate alternatives, and your medication usage isn't for a long period of time. If I had to make the decision, I would take the medication.

Thank you. How many weeks were you when you discontinued it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->