Anyone terrified of pregnancy?

barbarap

Reaction score
Hello all,
Will start trying for a baby in the new year.
I'm a very squeamish person, never had a blood test and have a phobia of needles. I'm working on that and had my rubella jab recently.
But I don't know what it's going to feel like when I know there's a baby inside of me, it must be such a strange feeling.
I hope something within me will help me relax and I suppose with time it will feel normal.
Anyone has this fear too or maybe you had it and when you first got pregnant you felt fine..??
Thanks a lot
Barbara

Hi there, just wanted to pop by and say I was scared of pregnacy, but for different reasons. It's amazing how the desire to become a mum is so strong that it can make us 'face our fears'. See how already you're tackling your fears by deciding to try for a baby soon, plus you've had your rubella. All you can do is take one day at a time rather than think about what may or may not come. You'll feel so proud of yourself at the end!

Oh, yes, and although I had some 'challanging' moments, I think I dealt with my fears and feel I had a really positive pregnancy experience. Plus, a baby at the end is the best reward.

Good luck on your journey! xxx

p.s. if you tell your midwife/gp of your phobias they will be really understanding and supportive at times when you need a blood test. It makes all the difference being treated more sensitively!

Also, I am scared of being pregnant again for different reasons. It changes when you are pregnant, you would do anything for that bump. All the blood tests and things just become very normal. The scary part is everything else! :hugs:

thanks to you both. I'm 39 on Wednesday so I'm absolutely terrified of having to have an amnio too, but I'll cope with that when it comes...
i've started looking into meditation classes but I'm also trusting that once I know there's a baby inside of me it'll all feel fine and wonderful....

Honestly hun, it is a scary time. You have tests and niggles and allsorts - but maybe this will help - I lost my babe at 10 weeks from MMC 3 weeks ago. It was the most terrifying and upsetting thing of my life, but I am already desperate to be pregnant again. It is hard, but honestly, I have never felt happier in my whole life than those 10 weeks, even though it was scary and exausting. It is worth it, I promise you. Don't be scared, enjoy every second because it is honestly wonderful. :hugs:

Thanks hun, I am really not trying to freak you out though - just to say, please don't be scared because it is wonderful, and even though bad things can happen, it is never worse than the idea of not having a bubs.

Gosh, sorry. I am trying to help my mind is just all mushy still. :hugs:

oh, don't be silly, let it all out. i know when having to cope with exceptional situations we usually conquer our fears, especially when it's not about you but the little one inside of you.
i'll keep an eye out on the forum and hopefully hear good news from you soon.

I'm not scared of pregnancy but I'm scared of having a MC. Petrified actually. I've seen the pain they cause, what people go through, and how common they seem to be, and it scares me a lot. Sometimes I lie awake at night, just worrying about having a MC when I eventually get pregnant. It's stupid and irrational but I can't help it- I can't go into first tri anymore because I can't bear to see the 'I'm out' threads. I just have this... feeling, that I'll never be a mother.

PS. I don't know if I've already said it but I try am sorry for your loss Drazic :hugs:

Thanks girls, I really am sorry to freak you out. MC is horrible, and yes it does happen to a lot of people but the odds are so much in your favour of having a healthy baby. Please don't let it spoil the experience of being pregnant. Be cautiously optimistic, because the odds really are on your side. As I was trying to badly explain, it happened to me and it hasn't put me off wanting to try again because really, being pregnant is the most wonderful thing and all the fears about blood tests and things really just fade away when you are pregnant because all your focus changes. Huge :hugs:

Drazic, I'm so sorry for your loss hun.

Yes, I'm scared of MC too but mostly I'm not too scared of being pregnant (yet...) - however the idea of giving birth scares the heck out of me. I'm not good with pain and the idea of that stretching and tearing and hours of pain really terrifies me (though I know it will be worth it - else people wouldn't do it!)!

K x

I'm scared of doing something that could hurt the baby. I'm also scared that I won't be able to get pregnant. Those fears are actually bigger than my "pass out at the sight of a needle" fear. I've already done my rubella/chicken pox (I didn't have them as a child) test and the nurse was kind enough to take me to a back room and let me lie down while she took blood. I had to lay there for almost a half a hour before I could get up without the room going black. Just tell them as soon as you get there, or even on the phone when you set your appointment that you have a needle phobia. Most are very kind and understanding.

i can understand how you feel, Being pregnant and having a living human being inside you is pretty crazy but worth it. I was scared about alot of things before I got pregnant, having a m/c ( i had one previously and was scared of another) i was scared of the vomiting as I just did not know what to expect and had visions of me puking outside or on the bus bla bla, i was scared about not eating right, i was scared about hurting the baby and the list continues.
But once I got used to the idea, being pregnant was awesome the fact we can grow a little person inside of us is truly a fantastic experience.
I would be fully open with your midwife, dr in regards to your phobias and fears they will soon tell you that they are not as silly as you think and in fact tonnes of women have them too.
Good Luck and you will be fine.

there are a lot of fears that go along with pregnancy and actually never once had I given thought to the "feeling" of something growing inside of me - yet that's the FIRST thing I thought of when it happened to me - "oh my gosh, there's a lil baby human smaller than a bean growing inside of me!!" kinda like a little alien, but in a good way :thumbup: it is the most amazing feeling I've ever had, even if it was a little freaky to think about - totally surreal and I wish I'd been able to savor it longer. That feeling didn't exactly take away my other fears, but it certainly made me feel like superwoman and like I could handle anything. :flower:

I'm looking forward to being pregnant - I'm more terrified of giving birth. I have a very low pain threshold so I don't know how I'm going to cope with hours of labour!!

You'll be fine Hun - you'll probably surprise yourself once you find out that you're pregnant.

Good luck!

it makes me feel better to see that i'm not the only one. with regards to giving birth i will totally look into Hypnobirthing, I've heard amazing things and seen videos on You Tube. It looks too good to be true but I would be happy to give it a go.
I've gone to hypnoterapy to treat my phobias and it's worked out quite well.
Won't start trying until Feb but I can't help thinking about it all the time.

The thing I'm the most terrified about in pregnancy (apart from MC obv) is morning sickness. I have a TERRIBLE phobia of nausea/being sick (to the point where I shake uncontrollably, can't breathe properly after throwing up). Aside from that I'm really looking forward to it! :D

I was and still am the same when it comes to needles, but in all honesty you cope with it because its to make sure your LO is ok and getting everything it needs.

Towards the end of the pregnancy you kinda don't really care about needles or examinations etc and to top it all i had an epidural which was no pain at all!

My only advice with blood tests is tell them you are nervous and ask if you can lay down whilst they do it, it helps a lot and just focus on breathing calmly. I used to hold my breath without realising and then i would pass out lol! :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->