anyone thinking of or have done DE and had reservations still?

neobabyt

Reaction score
After 6 yrs ttc and 5 iui's, 9 ivfs, with 3 m/c, and several chemicals I am beginning to think of DE. I have a problem dealing with the "someone else's" dna thing...can't seem to overcome that, so thinking can't ultimately do it? Any one else have reservations but still go on to have the donor egg baby? how did you feel about the issue or didn't it matter to you? I have heard and read articles from docs and have had 2 re's tell me that it "becomes" yours if you carry it. Really torn.....any comments or stories? thanks
:shrug:

I used DE and never for one second have I felt like my son wasnt myu own. From the day of implantatuion on, he has been nothing but mine. I grew him, nurtured him. Loved him! We used DE with my husbands sperm. he was born on March 6th and on january 30th we are doing another transfer to give him a sibling. my only regret was that we waited so long. He is the love of my life!

feel free to ask me anything :thumbup:

~Angie

Hi neobabyt

I had my first DE cycle in October in Barcelona after previous failed IVF's. We used my husbands sperm. After transfer (Two top quality embryo's were transfered) I remember walking down the street and feeling that if the embryos implant, and I get a BFP the babies are 100% mine, and feel like mine.

As the plane took off from Barcelona I remember looking down over the city and feeling so thankful to whoever this lady was who has given us this wonderful opportunity.

In November I got a much longed for BFP and am now 13 weeks along with a singleton. On about two occasions I have had a very slight "thought" that the baby is not mine, but that "thought" is away in an instant and the baby feel very much like mine.

I had the 12 week scan yesterday and saw it on the screen for the first time and it felt like mine.

I have also had 2 previous M/C's with my own eggs and I must say, I have felt more confident during these last 12 weeks that I wont miscarry because I am using the eggs of a much younger woman.

Hope this helps

We are considering DE if next FET fails. How young are the ladies who donate them? I'm nearly 30, but I've had radiotherapy and other medical issues which has given me low egg reserve. Xx

Mine was 32, but was a "proven fertility donor" and as far as I know, three of her recipients have had successful pregnancies

I was my donors first recipient and her first success :happydance: now we are going for #2 with one of our frosties :thumbup:

That's great- so glad it worked for you both, gives others hope �� xx

Wow !! Ladies, I am really glad to read your posts. I am planning to go for DE cycle with my DH's sperm. I had a failed ivf with my egg last year. I have egg quality issue because of endometriosis although I am just 32 :( . I am very scared that if I get BFP then I might have slight thoughts/ reservations. Also I have seen many ladies in BnB who do not approve of DE. But I am glad reading all your posts. Hope it works for me. At the end of the day I just want to hold my baby.

Wow !! Ladies, I am really glad to read your posts. I am planning to go for DE cycle with my DH's sperm. I had a failed ivf with my egg last year. I have egg quality issue because of endometriosis although I am just 32 :( . I am very scared that if I get BFP then I might have slight thoughts/ reservations. Also I have seen many ladies in BnB who do not approve of DE. But I am glad reading all your posts. Hope it works for me. At the end of the day I just want to hold my baby.

Hey, I haven't used DE yet but have reached a point where I feel a child would always feel like my own providing I carry it and my husband fertilised the egg.

I know others have differing views, but please listen to what you feel is right for you.

I think I have come to accept my eggs may not be the right quality and therefore to fulfil my want of being a mother, I would do what it takes. Also, we are not personally ready for adoption and it is not something we feel will ever be an option for us.

I wish you lots of luck x

Thanks Babydancing !! Even for me it was very difficult to accept that my egg quality is not good considering my age. But once after accepting we decided to go ahead with DE cycle. My DE Ivf cycle would be around mid Feb. I am just keeping my fingers crossed. I really hope your FET cycle works .

Hi
We were told last Xmas my eggs were not worth continuing with and it did take a little while to get used to. We did a cycle in oct with a sharer which was sadly bfn, we now have a new donor, different clinic and ec should be later this month. She is 21, our sharer was 32.

Sorry it's a bit long but this is a copy of a post on another thread which I find really interesting, hope it helps.

Hi

Not sure if you lovely ladies have heard of epigenetics? Sorry if I'm preaching to the converted here but just thought it was interesting. Minxy, I also thought it might help with your oh's worries.

Anyway, a biologist I work with was telling me about it. Basically, it states that any organism has a certain genetic makeup (ie from the donor) but that how those genes can be expressed is variable and is determined by environmental factors (ie the womb and pregnancy) She said the example she saw was with mice. One litter came our ginger and prone to obesity, the next litter, same embryos, with different food given to a different mother were black and slim.

Genes are expressed within a given child depending on the environment and its effects. The environment is the pregnant woman's womb and its is her genes, and not the donor's, that will determine how the genes received from the egg or embryo donor, are expressed. The child born would have been emotionally and physically different had the child been carried to term by another woman.

Taken from a booklet published by Freedom Pharmacy “Many believe the uterus is simply an incubator. Nothing could be further from the truth. The most important aspect of all pregnancies – including egg and embryo donation pregnancies- is that as the fetus grows, every cell in the developing body is built out of the pregnant mother’s body. Tissue from her uterine lining will contribute to the formation of the placenta, which will link her child. The fetus will use her body’s protein, then she will replace it. The fetus uses her sugars calcium, nitrates, and fluids, and she will replace them. So, if you think of your dream as you dream house, the genes provide merely a basic blueprint, the biological mother takes care of all the materials and construction, from the foundation right on up to the light fixtures. So, although the donor’s grandfather may have genetically programmed the shape of the new baby’s earlobe, the earlobe itself is the pregnant woman’s “flesh and blood”. That means the earlobe, along with the baby herself, grew from the recipient’s body. That is why the child is her biological child.”

Kath xx

Wow Mrs G , thanks. I have never heard about epigenetics. So basically pregnancy environment will influence how genes are expressed.
After reading your post I did some research and found the following article

https://www.yourivfjourney.com/epigenetics-can-ivf-affect-your-babys-genes/

Mrs G your EC with DE will be this month ? Mine will be next month. So I guess we will be cycle buddies :) I am wishing you all the luck !! And thanks for the post.

Hi
I think it's really interesting, and obviously relevant to our situation! The way I see it, on a basic molecular level, the embryo is not mine but everything that (fx) grows from it will be down to me and the type of pregnancy I have. It is hard bcos none of us would've set out to conceive any way but naturally but the further down the road I get, the more I just think this is how it is for our family. Giving dd a sibling is much more important to me than any doubts I might've had about using a donor.

We're waiting for donor cd1 but ec pencilled in for 21 or 23 jan. Clinic do 3 or 5 day transfer. Hopefully should hear something from them tommorrow. Do you have a donor? Have you started meds? Having a cycle buddy would be great. There are a few lovely ladies on the inconceivable and beyond thread on here who are starting cycles too.

Kath xx

This is all so interesting to me, especially hearing of others experiences with DEs and epigenetics.

I have a 2 yr old daughter and have since had a mc and am now pregnant but baby has trisomy 18. I am, at the moment just throwing my thoughts around, as much as I have my precious baby growing inside her prognosis is not good so I think at some point in the future, when we am ready whenever that may be we may opt for DE. I am 42 so I really do believe that my eggs are past their best.

Can I ask how it actually happens in a practical sense? Do they match you and your donor with close qualities? Are the embryos freshly transferred or frozen? Hope you don't mind me asking all these questions but I am really interested to see how it all works.

This is all so interesting to me, especially hearing of others experiences with DEs and epigenetics.

I have a 2 yr old daughter and have since had a mc and am now pregnant but baby has trisomy 18. I am, at the moment just throwing my thoughts around, as much as I have my precious baby growing inside her prognosis is not good so I think at some point in the future, when we am ready whenever that may be we may opt for DE. I am 42 so I really do believe that my eggs are past their best.

Can I ask how it actually happens in a practical sense? Do they match you and your donor with close qualities? Are the embryos freshly transferred or frozen? Hope you don't mind me asking all these questions but I am really interested to see how it all works.

I am not aware of trisomy 18. So are you thinking about DE when ttc#3 ? I am really sorry for you mc.
Yes they try to match as much as they can. My Doc told me that since my donor is young and healthy there are high chances that she will produce good quality egg ( although I am just 32 I have quality issues due to endo, so still ttc#1 ). They will fertilize the egg with my DH's sperm and will transfer the embryo (Day 3 or Day 5 ), so the first cycle would be fresh cycle. If it ends up BFN then we will do FET next cycle. So I guess that is the game plan for us. Hope it helps.

Hi
I think it's really interesting, and obviously relevant to our situation! The way I see it, on a basic molecular level, the embryo is not mine but everything that (fx) grows from it will be down to me and the type of pregnancy I have. It is hard bcos none of us would've set out to conceive any way but naturally but the further down the road I get, the more I just think this is how it is for our family. Giving dd a sibling is much more important to me than any doubts I might've had about using a donor.

We're waiting for donor cd1 but ec pencilled in for 21 or 23 jan. Clinic do 3 or 5 day transfer. Hopefully should hear something from them tommorrow. Do you have a donor? Have you started meds? Having a cycle buddy would be great. There are a few lovely ladies on the inconceivable and beyond thread on here who are starting cycles too.

Kath xx

Yes Mrs G, we have a donor. I am really thankful for that. She has already started meds. But stims will start around 2nd Feb, so my Doc thinks retrieval will be around 12th Feb, if everything goes well. So although not actually cycle buddies but I will be following you :flower:. I have started BCP. It would be great to be in conversation with you for the next few months so that we can share our journey and motivate each other. Have you started meds ? Do let me know about the updates from your clinic. And thanks for letting me know, I will surely join inconceivable and beyond thread. It would be nice to share my thoughts with other ladies.

Hey, I haven't used DE yet but have reached a point where I feel a child would always feel like my own providing I carry it and my husband fertilised the egg.

I know others have differing views, but please listen to what you feel is right for you.

I think I have come to accept my eggs may not be the right quality and therefore to fulfil my want of being a mother, I would do what it takes. Also, we are not personally ready for adoption and it is not something we feel will ever be an option for us.

I wish you lots of luck x

I completely agree with you Baby Dancing. Everything you have said is exactly how I feel. Wishing you the best of luck xxx

Thank you cool star. That is useful. Well it will be to ttc number 3. Trisomy 18 also called edwards syndrone is mostly fatal. Most babies miscarry or are stillborn and the ones that make it tend to not survive for longer than hours or days. All very sad but every chance that this has happened due to my age, which is why I am just looking into things for the future, I guess to just give me some hope after this pregnancy is over.

Thanks

Thank you cool star. That is useful. Well it will be to ttc number 3. Trisomy 18 also called edwards syndrone is mostly fatal. Most babies miscarry or are stillborn and the ones that make it tend to not survive for longer than hours or days. All very sad but every chance that this has happened due to my age, which is why I am just looking into things for the future, I guess to just give me some hope after this pregnancy is over.

Thanks

I don't know what to say, only that :hugs: .

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->