Anyone thinking of using cloth nappies??

Mandankie

Reaction score
Hi all

Just wondering if any first time mummy's were planning on using cloth nappies on their baby? Or if anyone has used them before and will be again??

I used them with my DS and DD and would never go back to using disposables.
I have just bought two newborn nappies as I'm so impatient I couldn't wait any longer lol.

I would recommend to anyone out there to give them a go, I love them an you can get such lovely prints!
:thumbup:

I have used them on my DS since he was about 7 months old. I couldn't imagine doing it on a newborn since they go so often. Hopefully this time around I will start sooner but definitely not before 3 months old. I find laundry so hard (time consuming), and I know I will probably be buying more soon so more laundry lol :)

I've been strongly considering this... give me all the info you can, and which kind to get and everything!! What are the inserts, where do I buy all this stuff, what sizes should I start out with, give me all your info.. also how to wash and everything!!!

Yes I hope to use cloth nappies! I'd also love some info, especially re: cleaning! If you didn't mind directing me that is...;)

I've been strongly considering this... give me all the info you can, and which kind to get and everything!! What are the inserts, where do I buy all this stuff, what sizes should I start out with, give me all your info.. also how to wash and everything!!!

A really good source for info is "the nappy lady" you can google her. She will tell you how they need washing and everything. But I'll tell you what I know!
Firstly there are a few kinds of nappies you can get, newborn, BTP (birth to potty) fitted, AIO (all in one), two part nappies.
When I started out I bought a few newborn because I found BTP just drowned the baby. The best in my opinion are Bumgenius and tots bots. There are so many different ones tho and many people differ on there preference. I have tho tried out quite a lot of different brands and my stash mainly contain tots bots easy fits, Bumgenius and eBay cheapies. The named brands can be expensive but they are definitely worth the money. Although saying that I have so many eBay cheapies and I love them!! I use one microfibre and one bamboo insert. Bamboo inserts absorb a lot of water but they need washing at let 10 times before they reach full absorbency. You can boost nappies with as many inserts as you need depending on LO's wetting.
As for night nappies u don't personally think you can get better than Little Lamb. They come in size one and size two which will tell u size guide. I used to boost my night nappies with two extra boosters an a fleece liner. Fleece liners are used because the wetness seeps through fleece and keeps LO dry. You need wraps for night nappies which little lamb do also. I got mine off eBay and I would say 5 is plenty as you need to wash every couple of days. I also found putting flush able liners in the nappies a great way of saving on washing as we all know how much babies poo!!
As for washing these nappies do not need steeping. You put them in a bucket until you have a load and they MUST be put on a COLD rinse before anything else. After rinsing, washing on 40 degrees is fine but 60 every now and then. You don't need much powder at all, perhaps a level spoon. If any powder is left in the nappies they will reduce absorbency and en up stinking!
I hope you do give it a go, it's a real feel good factor and I know all the info seems daunting but when you have done it once you will jut get used to it! Believe me, no one is allowed to touch my nappies. I take great pride lol.
If I've missed anything I'm sure someone will also inform u but definitely google nappy lady. If you want to just try it little nipper website is great for cheapies. I've got loads from them!
Good luck!! Xx

We had so much hassle last time - from constant leaks, nappies only lasting an hour at times, clothes not fitting right and large initial outlay we gave in and sold the lot last year. I do feel guilty about going disposable this time but we just can't be paying out to find what size/shape suit our baby and looking after our son. Such a shame really but there are no incentives in our council to help and tbh i can live without constant leaks x

I have 3 kids and never used cloth . when I was a kid I just remember dealing with the pins/nappies with my little sister and that put me off. This time though I have been looking into it and it seems cloth diapers have come a long way!!! I am still considering it so I will be stalking for more info.

i used terries with DS when indoors for a good few months from about 2wks old til about 3mths old. i could never get the folds right to contain the poop, that was the dealbreaker.

i won't bother with #2, but i will be going back to terries for potty training both.

I use cloth nappies for ds2. I started using them because he has ezcema. I now wish I had known about them for my other kids. I thought cloth nappies were terry squares, wet buckets full of napisan and pins....but they are just brilliant. We use mainly btp pocket nappies during the day and fitteds with wraps for naps and night time.

I won't when Baby is newborn as I'm a first time mum so think I'll have enough on my plate, but really keen to give it a go after a few months. I've researched it and going to get a trial pack from a place nearby to see how I hey on. Dh hates the idea of the extra hassle but I think even if I combine it with disposables then that's a start.
I'm worried about leaks though.

We are thinking about it.. but are so overwhelmed by all the different options and all the info out there!

Leaning towards hybrid-type.. GroVia or gPants. Whatever we use, it will be all natural. A baby wears a diaper 24/7 for just about 2 years of the most sensitive time of his/her life. All the chemicals in diapers being on their skin for that much time just does not appeal to me.

I won't when Baby is newborn as I'm a first time mum so think I'll have enough on my plate, but really keen to give it a go after a few months. I've researched it and going to get a trial pack from a place nearby to see how I hey on. Dh hates the idea of the extra hassle but I think even if I combine it with disposables then that's a start.

Same here. I'll probably do organic disposables for the first 3 months. We will likely also do disposables for days out, so we don't have to carry around dirty diapers.

There are loads of good videos on youtube I have watched a load of them. I plan on using cloth nappies and my partner is on board too having seen modern nappies. I am allergic to sanitary towels and as they are generally produced by the same companies I imagine they will be very similar and I would hate my baby to go through that.

My friend has 3 kids all in nappies and if she can find time to wash all of them I am sure I will manage with one baby, I hope I can anyway.

I plan on using a selection but my friends recommend prefolds and wraps and they seem very reasonably priced. I would use second hand too and I have seen some about but its too early to start buying for me.

The washing for me wasn't too bad so long as you watch which materials you get (terry for example wouldn't dry well).

I definitely want to use cloth nappies although will probably get some organic disposables for days off like a pp mentioned.

It's just completely overwhelming the different types. My friend is using cloth nappies so I can't wait to tell her that I'm pregnant so I can ask lots of questions :)

Many UK councils have reusable nappy groups and nappucinos you can go to for a chat and info, some have financial incentives too. I deeply wish they had worked out for us and we could have reused them this time!

I've used them for my first son since he was eleven months old! I love them, we've saved so much money. I am planning on buying a whole new stash because mine was secondhand and they're seeing some significant wear

Same here with me. Fella and all our friends who are parents of babies are trying to deter me - maybe 'cause they don't use cloth and don't want anyone else to succeed? - so I think disposable at newborn is a good compromise.

Like ss83, I'm hoping to use cloth nappies, but wouldn't even contemplate it until baby is 6 weeks old or more. On top of that, I'm thinking trips out will be disposables and possibly for night times, though I'm prepared to give the cloth nappies a try. I'm leaning more towards birth to potty all in one types; these seem the easiest to use... I think! It all seems a bit of a minefield!

I know my friend set out with all good intentions with her baby (now nearly 20 months) and whilst they used them for a few months, it just didn't work out in the end (I think it was a washing/drying issue as their place is only small with no outdoor space) and they sold them.

This is probably a really stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway! Are the cutsie nappies you see actually the outer wrap, with the regular nappies being plain colours? Otherwise I'm thinking it's weird to have pretty colours and patterns which get covered over (though of course a lot of the time the nappies will be covered by clothes any way).

I'm lucky in that I picked up 14 resusables off Freecycle a few months back, so hopefully won't have to fork out too much to give them a go, with a view to buying more of my preferred nappy as and when.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->