Anyone thinking of using cloth nappies??

I am planning on using them. I've done a bit of research, and am partial to all-in-ones. I haven't decided if it will be worth it to invest in some newborn size as well, or if I would just go the disposable route until baby is big enough for cloth. I may have to do some research to find a daycare that will use them too. I have found a cloth diapering group in my city on Facebook, so they may be a helpful resource.

I definitely want to use cloth nappies although will probably get some organic disposables for days off like a pp mentioned.

It's just completely overwhelming the different types. My friend is using cloth nappies so I can't wait to tell her that I'm pregnant so I can ask lots of questions :)

Ah your friend will be a great source for help and advice. I started using them after a friend of mine talked me into it and I'm do glad she did. She was amazing and gave me so much support. I didn't find laundry too bad. I was doing it with mine and my husbands Washing and 4 children on top of two sets of nappies until DS was potty trained. I didn't think I would cope but it just slips into routine like everything else.
Good luck. Bet your friend will be excited to help you out with it all!! X

Personally, I really want to use cloth diapers for my baby. It will be much cheaper in the long run and it will be better for the environment. The only issue I run into is that my boyfriend doesn't seem to like the idea. Then again, he thinks he knows everything about baby care when, in reality, this is the first child for each of us.

I'm definitely going to do more research...maybe I will convince him yet! :)

I am going to be using Charlie Banana brand diapers. I had read so many great reviews, and they seem quite simple; I am actually excited to start using them!!!

I am planning on using them. I've done a bit of research, and am partial to all-in-ones. I haven't decided if it will be worth it to invest in some newborn size as well, or if I would just go the disposable route until baby is big enough for cloth. I may have to do some research to find a daycare that will use them too. I have found a cloth diapering group in my city on Facebook, so they may be a helpful resource.

I feel the same as you. I actually just bought a small pack of newborn disposables for the hospital, but I am waiting on my stash of cloth; have considered whether I need the newborn size and how many, as they go through so many a day at the beginning especially.

Also, some daycare's will not change or use parents' stash of cloth diapers? That would definitely be a big issue for me, as there is no real difference. I mean, you are technically supposed to dump solid bowel movements into the toilet with disposables just the same as with cloth...So really, the difference would be stashing them in mom's diaper bag instead of the trash can.

It's bad enough to contribute all of that non bio-degradable trash to the landfill, much less adding a bio hazard on top of it all. So gross.

I'll be using cloth for the third time as well! :thumbup:

I have just had my third lot of Alvas shipped and am filling my cart with more plus more inserts and flushable liners.

I defintly like the idea of using reusable ones once the baby gets to be like 3momths ish probly. Looking at the prices of disposables they are expensive as. Ild prob keep some disposables for when im away from home tho. Dh doesnt seem too keen on them but il try and convince him :)

So ive got a question. Do you have to change the whole nappy everytime or does the liner in them normally asorb it enof that you only have to change that?

Rollachick I think it depends on what type you use, the ones I am thinking about buying you changed the inner nappy/prefold every time but if the external wrap is dry you can reuse that part, my friend said she can use the wraps about 3 times unless its an explosive poo :haha:

I like the idea of them and they look cute but they just sound like so much hassle!

Rollachick I think it depends on what type you use, the ones I am thinking about buying you changed the inner nappy/prefold every time but if the external wrap is dry you can reuse that part, my friend said she can use the wraps about 3 times unless its an explosive poo :haha:

Cool that sounds like the type ild want, seems like waaayy to much washing up if u have to change the whole thing each time.
Do you have a link or name of the type your looking at?

Cloth nappies rock! I was a die-hard disposable user until Thomas was 9 months.

I have 2 kinds, pockets that you stuff and prefolds with covers. They are both great.

Hardly any hassle either. Feeding and clothing the kids is more hassle than washing their nappies...way messier eating than pooing haha! Just tip the poo into the toilet, chuck nappies in a dry pail and wash every few days.

Stalking. We would love to use cloth nappies and I will start looking into more details once the first trimester is over.

I'm planning on it. I'm going to use a service the first few weeks though.

Stalking too. There are so many to choose from, I'm still confused. Hopefully by Spring, I'll know what's easiest and run with those.

I really wanted to use them with my first baby, in fact I went and bought a load (I think I have about 12/13 of them, all different styles). No matter which one I used, they always seemed to leak out of the back, sides, every part where they could leak they leaked, and I found it too much trouble in the end. I tried them again (after about a year's break) and this time I found they weren't leaking so much but they were only lasting about 2 hours so I had to be on top of the ball otherwise I would have a really wet baby. My baby never has nappy rash (he's had it a total of about 8 occasions (days or part days) due to teething only) so I'm not too concerned about disposable nappies on his skin. It's a shame though, I really did want to use the reusable ones and I have some really cute ones.

^ very similar to our experience, what a shame.

Also yeah, if you live somewhere that has a nappy service that would be greatly advantageous.

I use fitted diapers with covers and never had leaks - even though my first was quite skinny (born at 35+6). If you buy the birth to potty diapers (one size) you will save money, but they don't generally fit a baby under 12lbs. And even at 12lbs they are quite big. Buying the fitted diapers is more expensive initially, since you have to size up BUT they last longer (because they aren't worn for 2 years solid per child). My diapers have been an amazing investment. I bought them with my first and haven't had to buy diapers for my daughter and won't have to buy any for this one. So I'll have spent basically $20-30 in diapers total for 2 kids (I buy disposables for vacations, etc). My son leaked in disposables so bad that I had to put a cover over the disposable diaper - he would get the poo-up-the-back every time. Never happened to me once in reusables.

Also they are not hard - just throw them in the wash! Especially when they aren't on solids - it's as hard as doing a load of laundry.

I found we got a lot less leakage with reusable nappies too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->