Anyone TTC after Breast Cancer?

Wanna007

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post on this website so I apologise in advance if I get any of the slangs/acronyms wrong (still trying to understand what they all mean

So....a little about me.

I got diagnosed with breast cancer about four years ago just after my 27th birthday. Needless to say everything has changed since then! I had a mastectomy, chemotherapy and radiotherapy all in the year of my diagnosis (I got diagnosed in January 2010). Once I was done with the radiotherapy, I was put on Tamoxifen to control the hormones in my body as the cancer I had was hormone positive.

In the time between completing my treatment and now, I have met and married the most amazing husband and done a genetic testing. The test came back and I am BRCA2 positive

We decided to have the second breast removed and try to reconstruct both breasts at the same time. I had the surgery in October and it went very well. However, I didn't realise exactly how long the procedure was going to take from start to finish! I won't bore you with too much details but just in case anyone knows about breast reconstructive surgery, I've got tissue expanders (TE) in at the moment and will need to have a few fills before I can swap the TEs for implants.

In summary, I have two options:

1. TTC now and leave the tissue expander in for longer - probably till after the pregnancy if I get lucky and get pregnant soon (although I still need to convince DH to go with this option

2. Wait till the procedure is complete since I can't have an elective surgery while pregnant. The problem with that is that the procedure won't be complete till mid next year or longer and I am not keen to wait till that long

Some additional info, I will be 31 in Jan and DH is 35 - so I am very keen for us to start trying now. I have been off Tamoxifen for about 10 weeks now so I think it is safe to start trying although DH would prefer we wait till the end of the procedure next year.

I was just wondering if anyone was going through anything similar and had any thoughts on comments. (Apologies for the long post :wink wink

Hi sorry I don't have personal experience, though my mum recently went through a mastectomy, so I know the physical and emotional ramifications . I just wanted to wish you the best of luck with ttc. Lots of baby dust ! X

Thanks @nicb26!!! I hope your mum is feeling much better. Thanks for the wishes and the baby dust, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the best!

Take care and all the best for the future xx

I too don't have any experience with it but if the only reason your DH wants to wait til next year is to end the procedure (and not because he thinks things would be better times etc) then I think you should go with how YOU feel. I'm not sure what the repercussions are waiting for the procedure to finish or also of waiting to try after the procedure. I definitely wish you the best though and after a rough few years I hope you get what you wish for

:flow:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->