Anyone waiting till January to avoid summer baby?

LouOscar01

Reaction score
Is anyone waiting till January to avoid an August baby? As a teacher I worry a lot about having an August baby. Being a whole 11 months younger than some of their peers will make a huge difference academically, physically, mentally and on their maturity and confidence. I don't want to disadvantage my child :(

But then on the flip side I remind myself that the August baby I might have would be a different child from the September baby I would have!! So to not try this month would mean that I would be losing the opportunity of having that child at all rather than delaying it for a month!

Everyday I change my mind over trying now or waiting till late dec/jan.

We always intended to wait till now but didn't...we started to try in July. It's so hard to stop once you have started. :(

Any thoughts/ideas/opinions please share.

Should I wait or should I go with it?

I always wanted this and my 2 eldest are October and may (may is the latest i wanted). My youngest was eager to be here and we conceived a year earlier than planned!! He's August and is a joy! I do worry about him but that's my job as a parent. I'll fight his corner and help him all i can!! If we have another we'll avoid it if we think its necessary but I'm not afraid of it like i used to be.

Originally we were planning to ttc from December to have a September onwards baby as like you I wanted to avoid an August baby. Saying that my older brother has his birthday at the end of July and wasn't dissadvantaged at school, in fact he took several of his GCSE's and A Levels a couple of years early and was always ahead of his peers, so although I would prefer to avoid late summer I won't worry toomuch if that is what we get.

We are waiting until january (2016 though) to start TTC for various reasons but one of them is because we would like to try and avoid them being disadvantaged at school, like yourself. I don't think it would overly matter, as it depends on the child and the support they receive etc, so just go with it if that's what you want to do :) Don't allow the fear of your child being disadvantaged put you off if that's the only thing stopping you, because your child may cope perfectly fine! :) Go with your gut

I'm guessing the school year cut off is different in the UK, in Canada the entire year Jan-Dec would go into the same grade. I don't think it really matters what the age difference is for kids, they don't know any differently. Being born in December I was 11 months younger than a few people, some whom I was close friends with. I don't think being younger disadvantaged me at all in academics or maturity, I actually consider myself more mature than most of my friends through childhood to now. I think I owe that more to being a first born though. Academically I was usually in the top of the class. So really like others said, it's all about the variables that nurture a child rather than when they are born.

We were going to wait til December and having a baby in September so they were the eldest was one of the reasons. But then we decided to start ttc this month and I'm really glad we have! If we conceive this month I won't be at all worried about having an August baby, apparently if there is a difference it balances out as they get older. I agree with the pp, go with your gut :)

i work in reception and i can see what you mean about some children being almost a year younger than their peers, however i find that its about 50/50
some children born in july/august are the brightest in our class whereas some are more 'young' in how they act but i think it comes mostly down to personality and some what down to parenting (not saying one way is better than the other)
i dont think it would be something i would try to avoid, as there is just as much chance as a child born in the earlier months as having a 'young' personality

Agree with Callmedan. Think it's different for every child but being a teacher myself as you are I'm sure you know lots about how to develop a child and help them where they need it so it shouldn't matter.

I really wouldn't worry. My son is an August baby and whilst he does have learning disabilities it's not because he was born in August.

:hugs:

I'm a teacher also and the reason we haven't TTC so far is because I don't want a July/august baby. I don't think it makes much of a difference, in fact, I know a lot of children which are born July/august and in fact are a lot brighter than September/October babies, it's just my personal preference because I know how it can be as a teacher! Lol.

I had never even thought of this! But I will say that I'm a June baby and my best friend was born on Sept 1, which was the cutoff date, and his parents decided to put him in the previous class. This made him literally the youngest person in the class. Both of us were much more mature than most of the kids in the class and had no problem with learning at our grade level. My friend actually got one of the highest ACT scores in the class. So just because they're young doesn't necessarily mean they're at a disadvantage.

Also, there's no guarantee that just because you try, you'll get pregnant that month. It may still take a few months, so I would say just go for it.

Yes! I'm waiting to try again because of insurance reasons but I also DO NOT want an August baby. My birthday is in August and my mom laments the summer she was pregnant with me, in south TX. Very hot without AC. I'm in central TX with AC but that doesn't mean I want to be large, sweaty and about to pop during the hottest time of the year!!

I'm hoping for an October/November baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->